Controllers and gameplay for RPG (a bit technical)

rogerdv

Dec 2, 2010
Im working in a little prototype and this week I got a borrowed Xbox controller to test my project. My first idea was to use the same gameplay mechanics as Dragon Age Inquisition: WASD for movement, moving camera with middle click pressed, and mouse cursor available to select targets and interact with scene stuff. The other option was to use the Mass Effect/Witcher style: free camera with mouselook (no cursor), casting a ray from the center of the view to select target and objects.
The problem is that when I finally have the controller, I found that perhaps using an stick for movement and another stick for camera, left me without any way to control the mouse to select entities and objects. Using DPAD would introduce a third element, and would complicate the controls. I have been searching how Dragon Age handles this in consoles and PC+controller, but havent found any result.
What do you think about this? Maybe I should discard my current approach and go for camera free look?

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Yeah I don't think you can use anything like you want for point and click like a mouse. Unless you can somehow make the touch pad on a PS4 controller work. Most games these days just have you select an object by being close enough and looking at it.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I believe you could click objects with your mouse but I played it with a controller.