Control laptop fan in windows xp?

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
I have a compaq presario 700us. Is there a way to control the laptop fan so that it runs all the time. Or at least is there an app that monitors what level the fan is running at.

Thanks

SpeedFreak03

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2003
Originally posted by: Spudd
You don't have an option for this in your bios?? :confused:

Remember, it's a compaq :D j/k. I think there is a program called speedfan, but I'm not sure what it does.

Spudd

Golden Member
Aug 7, 2001
Originally posted by: SpeedFreak03
Originally posted by: Spudd
You don't have an option for this in your bios?? :confused:

Remember, it's a compaq :D j/k. I think there is a program called speedfan, but I'm not sure what it does.

lol

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
I tried out SpeedFan on my compaq presario. It's only reading the temperature from the Harddrive. It's now at 119 degrees Farenheit. No information on the fan however.

There's gotta' be someway to control the fan right? I mean the machine itself does so right? Sometimes this system locks up and it seems like it might be because it's too hot. I've read about problems with the firmware but no resolution... :(

BG4533

Golden Member
Oct 15, 2001
Is speed fan supposed to work with everything? I tried it on my Gateway Solo 5300 Notebook and it detects a fan speed and gives the option to change it, but when I do it does nothing. Any ideas? Any other programs that might work?

Thanks,
Brian

Spudd

Golden Member
Aug 7, 2001
Infohawk, did your or did you not check your bios for this option? Every laptop I've seen has an option for the fan in their bios. Hold DEL or F8 (follow whatever the startup screen says in DOS) to get to your Bios setup. Look for an option for Fans/Fan Control.

BG4533

Golden Member
Oct 15, 2001
Sorry if I am butting in here, but my Gateway does not have an option for the fan in the bios and other laptops I have seen do not either. I know my fan is controllable becasue a BIOS update changed it from adjustable to always on high. There is no user available option to change this.

Brian

Spudd

Golden Member
Aug 7, 2001
Really? All the Dells and IBM's I've checked out have this option in the BIos. Sucks if they're not on the Gateways though. Dude, you're getting a Dell???

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
I've looked in my bios several times. There's no fan options. Only boot options and a couple others. :wine:

I also have the latest bios too....

BG4533

Golden Member
Oct 15, 2001
All I get is a CPU temp out of it. The compatibility list says the guy has not seen a Gateway with a sensor in it.

Brian