Consumer Confidence Registers Steepest Plunge in 18 years, ties record fall

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dirtboy

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Ldir
Originally posted by: dirtboy
Originally posted by: charrison

The democrats are campaigning on a bad economy. They have been getting lots of air time with primaries. Consumers have been hearing about this bad economy because of the primaries. Consumer sentiment goes down.

Very true. Your average democrat turns on the nightly liberal news to get their minds programmed for the next day. These people aren't smart enough to know if the economy is good or bad, they just blindly follow what Brokaw, Clinton, Rather, Kerry, and Dave & Co tell them.

I am sure you get your news straight from the White House as God intended.
rolleye.gif

Are you really sure, or did you hear that on tonight's news?

drewshin

Golden Member
Dec 14, 1999
The economy has lost jobs for three consecutive years (a first since the Labor Department started keeping track in 1939), and fewer jobs were added last month than economists expected ? not enough even to keep pace with population growth.

:from another article:
Despite strong economic growth, the nation has lost about 2.2 million jobs since he became president.

"The president has said he is not a statistician. He is most concerned about whether people are hurting and able to find jobs," McClellan said.

yeah, and doing a pretty crappy job at it.

the tax cuts were supposed to encourage businesses to increase hiring, well guess what? they ended up keeping the money and making existing workers harder. why aren't businesses hiring? because they dont see their economic prospects cheering up any time in the near future.

generally, why is the stock market up? companies are starting to report better than expected profits because of slashing costs, in almost every industry you see flat to slightly increased revenues, but increased profits because of lower costs.

dirtboy

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: drewshin

You don't understand the economy, you don't understand money supply and you don't understand how companies work, yet you blame Bush for everything.
rolleye.gif

You can just see the intelligence oozing off the screen these days.

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
Yeah, my mutual funds are looking quite nice. My wife's three funds are doing really well now, especially her "aggressive" fund which had tanked about a year ago. It's up about 40% this year! Woot, woot!

My confidence in the economy hasn't slipped though. I think we can pull this jobs problem out of the dumper with some good political leadership. I've asked Jacque Chirac to fly over and give the SHRUB a clue.... :)

But, don't those two consumer confidence surveys suggest that at least one of them is wrong?

Frankly, I don't see lackluster consumerism here.

-Robert