Consumer Alert - Buy Hard Drives Now. Prices To Rise.

mshan

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2004
Someone on CNBC said Seagate has the ability to ramp up production quickly.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
First the peanuts, now HD's. The end is near.

This just in. Wind blows. Gas prices to rise.

Replay

Golden Member
Aug 5, 2001
I bought a bag of peanuts on Tuesday, but ate most of them already.

This flood news is interesting, tough for the people living there, and the hard drive heads-up is welcome.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
One sure way to drive up prices of any item is to trigger panic buying.
-
That's not to say prices won't rise (temporarily) but panic buying is sure to cause a short term shortage....
-
We see this every year (esp with commodities) when there are natural disasters (floods, early freezes, earth quakes, ...) though I have to admit this is the first time I've seen such alerts on anandtech (and 2 in 24 hours at that).
-
As a recent example the quake in Japan did drive prices up of some camera equipment but after 4 or 6 months it went back to normal.
-
Anyways normally when I buy to 'beat' a price jump I end up getting burned but maybe I'm just unlucky. If prices do rise 60% on disks or Peanut Butter maybe I should buy some shares of ...

Last edited:

cubeless

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2001
and i just filled up my bunker with peanut butter and now this... guess i need to build another bunker for these...

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
and i just filled up my bunker with peanut butter and now this... guess i need to build another bunker for these...

mmm..peanut butter n hard drive sammich.

This does kind of suck since I'm looking at finally building another system. Maybe I'll hold off till December now.

jalaram

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
This news brought to you by an independent agency funded by Seagate and Western Digital.

BTW, are parody threads allowed in Hot Deals?

Jiggz

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2001
I guess anything that can be exploited to generate sales and profits is news! I'll pass.

locomo

May 2, 2010
This news brought to you by an independent agency funded by Seagate and Western Digital.

BTW, are parody threads allowed in Hot Deals?

At least i posted a deal along with it.:)
As for peanut butter, almond butter tastes much better is more nutritious, and never has cancer causing fungus with it. Maybe just a little cyanide.

videopho

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2005
"Due to Supply Shortages, Two Per Customer" sign I just saw over the MC store today.
The shelves are pretty empty as well.
WTH?
Artificial or real shortage?

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
ARTIFICIAL SHORTAGE. i bet we make more hdd's then god and they dont all come from tideland

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
You're 3 days too late, hard drive prices for many models have already double/tripled, this has been talked about to death on ocn.

A seagate barracuda XT that I was eyeing last week doubled in price.

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
I was wondering why prices on like a 1TB 7200RPM hard drive are so much higher than they used to be. This makes sense now.

Crap, was so nice to see Samsung F3 1TB drives for only $49 at Newegg!!