Constitutional amendment to ban abortion?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Atreus21: We have the right not be slaves because of a constitutional amendment protecting it.

M: No, we are protected by the constitution, but the right is fundamental, inalienable and universal.

The right is universal, I agree. But it's only recently, as in within the last 150 years, that we were made aware of it. This indicates to me that, since we've been wrong before, there may be other universal rights that we are currently unaware of and infringing upon. Namely the rights of unborn humans.

A: The slavery of women you mention is a simple slavery to nature, to which we are all subjected. You could just as easily say we are slaves to urinate. It's a natural result of drinking, or at least consuming something. Women are slaves to their uteruses in the same manner. Pregnancy is a natural result of having unprotected sex; it's what the act of sexual intercourse is designed to bring about. Just because someone is unprepared for a natural consequence to their actions doesn't give them the right to say it's like slavery.

M: We are not all so subjected. Only those who are accidentally women. Pregnancy is one consequence of rape. You are saying that a child who is raped has to have the baby if the rape causes a pregnancy. How holy of you. And why are people responsible for irresponsibility. If they were responsible they would be responsible no? You just want to punish people who want out of the consequences of their actions. How irresponsible of you. You're probably a male full of judgment and testosterone driven anger. You are in the grips of a hallucination that a fetus is a person and your delusion has made you a prick. I say fuck you and your beliefs, no? I want to be like you too.

We are all subject to natural processes, such as aging. We will all eventually die. Women, because of their anatomy, have a particular role in nature. Only they can give birth. Regarding the rape argument, my stance remains the same for the same reason, by asking the following sequence of questions: Who is responsible for this girl's pregnancy? Because she was forced to have sex, the rapist is responsible. Who should bear the consequences of this? Certainly the rapist. How then can we establish that the child, however created, bears any responsibility for this crime? It's harsh, I grant. But it seems the most just resolution, because justice seeks to punish the guilty, not the innocent.

I very much want people to be held accountable for their actions, responsible or irresponsible. I don't call for punishment, only that they be held to the same standard as anyone else. If I were a male driven by anger, I'd be insulting you, yet it is you who have been insulting me.

A: This is why the abstinence idea is so important. If you have no intention of getting pregnant, and you have sex using some sort of birth control, which fails, who is to blame for you getting pregnant?

M: Obviously nobody is to blame because there's nothing to cause blame about. You do what you can not to get pregnant and deal with it if you do.
When anything unfavorable happens to anyone, they immediately look to assign blame to the responsible party. That, I think, is the basic search for justice. Because pregnancy to women in this example is unfavorable, there IS cause to blame. Dealing with an unwanted child by killing it is not dealing with it. It's irresponsibility. Dealing with it would be accepting the consequence of your actions.

A: At the end of the day, it was you who decided, with full knowledge of the possible consequences, to play the odds; to do the singular act which alone can create babies, and you created a baby. That is squarely your responsibility, therefore.

M: I am at cause. That creates no responsibility because there is no obligation. I don't have to protect myself from pregnancy if I am a woman just because you think I do. Sorry, fuck you, again since that's what you want to do with me with your religious morality.

There's a simple line of reasoning here. Woman knows she can get pregnant. Woman does not want to get pregnant. Woman knowingly does the very act which will get her pregnant anyway. Woman gets pregnant. She made a conscious decision to take a risk, and now she is responsible for her decision. That's seems pretty clear to me. None of this has anything whatsoever to do with religious morality.

A: You can't cry foul because of a self-inflicted wound. You can't stand in the middle of an interstate and say, "If someone hits me, I'm the last person to blame."

M: Hit somebody in the middle of an intersection and see what happens. There is no foul. It's all in your head.
I don't understand.
A: My rights do end where another's begin, as you say. Regrettably, people don't extend that ethos to unborn children.

M: That is exactly what I said. They don't extend those rights until they meet the legal definition of person.
This implicitly contradicts something you said at the beginning. In response to my assertion that the right not to be a slave was granted in the constitution, you said that this right was universal and inalienable, outside of the constitutions jurisdiction. Yet here you say that it is the government that defines a person. Shouldn't the definition of a person be just as universal and inalienable as the right not to be a slave, since being a slave means you're assumed not to be human? If we extended rights only to those who met the legal definition of a person, then slaves were only human when we passed the 14th amendment, and that's obviously not the case. The truth is they were always human, and we just took forever to admit it to ourselves.

A: No one has a right to kill an innocent, let alone their own child.

M: We are not talking about a child or an innocent person. It's a matter of legal definition, one that is secular and human made as only we can have under our Constitution.

Same as above.
A: Lastly, I don't understand this detestation of religion with which so many people on the left are seized. Ironically, it's irrational.

M: Couldn't agree more.
Good.

There's a simple reason that religion is a good thing: Without it, there are no intrinsic rights.

M: But of course there are. Rights ARE intrinsic, then depend on nothing.
Same as above.
A: Without it, your right not to be murdered is only good so far as the governments ability to protect it; that is, people wouldn't care about murdering you if they thought they could get away with it. Yet that is not the case.

M: Don't be silly. I have no doubt in my mind at all that I could get away with murder but I have much better reasons not to kill anybody than those you provide. I would be violating their right to life. If I were to kill somebody, the act would make me a piece of shit because it would be a confession that I am too small and worthless to live in their presence. It would be an admission that I can't face up to my emotions and my responsibilities as a person. I would paint a fuck me right across my forehead. If I act out of my feelings of inferiority I actually become inferior and not just in my feelings. Ain't gonna happen.
I agree.

A: It's not because I fear the government that I don't murder people. It's because I believe it is objectively illegal; it is apart from the government's jurisdiction. This offers to me a very simple argument of why religion is a good thing, in general.

M: Well I can live with being objectively illegal, but I'll be damned if I condemn my own soul by proving my worthlessness in actions. You see, with or without God there is only God's truth or the truth of those who aspire to be what they can.
Again, I agree.

[/quote]

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: BoberFett
Originally posted by: sirjonk
The draft is slavery. So are taxes unless you consider sharecropping a noble system.

I didn't realize the army could force you to mate with other service members to produce super soldiers and whip you or kill you or sell you to another army for not shining your boots properly. Noted.

Who hired you to define slavery? The draft is forced servitude for the benefit of another. Sounds like slavery to me.

So you question my definition and then apply your own? Do I have to endorse the check I got to define slavery over to you? Damnit.

Is a public defender a slave? He can't quit a case. You don't have to live in the country that protects you from foreign armies, you're free to leave and reject the offer of protection. Get drafted and you can report in and serve, or leave. In today's world there's plenty of places to run to. Not so in the 1850s.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Harvey
Originally posted by: Atreus21

I think the FairTax idea is an interesting one. Considering the rotten state of affairs with current taxation, I'm up for almost anything different.

Your idea of a "fair" tax is anything but fair. A flat sales tax would be a massive and disproportionate burden on the poor, including and especially the working poor, who already have to spend every dime they make and more just to survive... if they manage at all in today's broken economy.

it's not flat.

Colt45

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
Originally posted by: daniel49

Isn't that very similar to what happened in roe v wade.
obviously some judges forced thier personal beliefs ,on a whole country, through judicial rulings..

Just depends on whose ox is being gored.

roe vs. wade isn't forcing anyone to do anything. If you don't want an abortion, don't have one.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
"I believe it's a lot easier to change the Constitution than it would be to change the word of the living God," Huckabee said Monday night in Warren, Mich. "And that's what we need to do, is to amend the Constitution so it's in God's standards, rather than try to change God's standards."

Fuckin ay!

That is scary.

If any of you support him close your eyes and imagine someone with a long beard and turban saying the same thing.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: WelshBloke
"I believe it's a lot easier to change the Constitution than it would be to change the word of the living God," Huckabee said Monday night in Warren, Mich. "And that's what we need to do, is to amend the Constitution so it's in God's standards, rather than try to change God's standards."

Fuckin ay!

That is scary.

If any of you support him close your eyes and imagine someone with a long beard and turban saying the same thing.

Well yeah, it sounds batshit crazy, but recognize he is pandering somewhat:

"More than half of [South Caronlina's] likely Republican voters are white evangelicals, according to the Pew Research Center for the People & the Press. It was those voters who carried Huckabee to victory in Iowa."

And that's who he was targeting. He won't be making that speech in metropolitan areas, guaranteed.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: ElFenix

I think the FairTax idea is an interesting one. Considering the rotten state of affairs with current taxation, I'm up for almost anything different.

Your idea of a "fair" tax is anything but fair. A flat sales tax would be a massive and disproportionate burden on the poor, including and especially the working poor, who already have to spend every dime they make and more just to survive... if they manage at all in today's broken economy.

it's not flat.

A straight 23% sales tax most certainly is a flat tax on consumption, but it's a highly regressive tax on the poor because it taxes all consumption at the same rate, whether it's for necessities like food, housing, clothing and medicine or luxuries like a third Mercedes or a yacht.

Huckabee's a brainless twit. I also expect him to support a flat earth approach to future map making endeavors.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Getting tied up in these hollow social issues is exactly why this country has been in a holding pattern for the past 8 years.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: WelshBloke

Fuckin ay!

That is scary.

Lot of intolerance for other's views around here as usual.

He's just saying bring it to a vote.

Now you close your eyes and imagine someone with a long beard and turban saying "bring it to a vote". I get nothing when I try.

Fern

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000

A straight 23% sales tax most certainly is a flat tax on consumption, but it's a highly regressive tax on the poor because it taxes all consumption at the same rate, whether it's for necessities like food, housing, clothing and medicine or luxuries like a third Mercedes or a yacht.
it's not a flat tax on consumption because there is a prebate. you consume $17,000 (poverty line), you get that 23% back before you spend it for a 0% tax rate. you consume double that, then you get a 12.5% tax. you consume 4x that, and you get an 18.75% tax. so no, it is most certainly not a flat tax on consumption.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The draft is slavery. So are taxes unless you consider sharecropping a noble system.

I didn't realize the army could force you to mate with other service members to produce super soldiers and whip you or kill you or sell you to another army for not shining your boots properly. Noted.

Who hired you to define slavery? The draft is forced servitude for the benefit of another. Sounds like slavery to me.

So you question my definition and then apply your own? Do I have to endorse the check I got to define slavery over to you? Damnit.

Is a public defender a slave? He can't quit a case. You don't have to live in the country that protects you from foreign armies, you're free to leave and reject the offer of protection. Get drafted and you can report in and serve, or leave. In today's world there's plenty of places to run to. Not so in the 1850s.

A public defender can drop their clients, but they'd probably give up their license if they did so. Bad example, try again.

Conscription is a relic from the days of monarchs ordained by god to rule over the mere peasants. It has no place in a democracy and is a form of slavery. Remain ignorant if you want, I don't care. Your loss.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Honestly, the national sales tax is going nowhere. And let's quit playing semantics. Fair Tax, National Tax, it is really all the same thing, with a few minor tweaks here and there.

Also many studies of the "Fair" tax have found the rate to be closer to 30% than 23%.

A true "Flat" tax system with an option to remain using the current system if you so desire is a much better plan, and Fred Thompson has already proposed it.

Noobtastic

Banned
Jul 9, 2005
Good.

Forget morals, abortion is aging the population and has created a lack of skilled workers!!!

I won't even comment on the universal societal jump to indulgence and apathy. Take a gander at the new generation.......

And no, illegal immigrants are not the solution retards.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Anybody who believes the GOP will leave abortion up to the states if Roe is overturned is a fool and/or hasn't been paying attention.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Originally posted by: Noobtastic
Good.

Forget morals, abortion is aging the population and has created a lack of skilled workers!!!

I won't even comment on the universal societal jump to indulgence and apathy. Take a gander at the new generation.......

Legal immigrants are :D
Hell, have another country pay to raise them, educate them, then we can pick and choose just the ones we want :D
The fetuses that were aborted probably wouldn't be loved enough to grow up productive members of society anyways. If their moms were ready to have them and love them, they wouldn't be paying a doctor to suck their brains out.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Good.

As senseamp implied banning abortion is not the answer either. People who are getting abortion typically isn't the type that can afford to give their kids good start. So most likely those kids would have never went to a good college and never would have become skilled worker anyway.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Good.

Nice! The "damn kids these days" argument rears its ugly head yet again. Don't people ever learn how dumb that is?

Abortion is doing no such thing. Statistical studies done have shown that abortion rates are extremely similar no matter if abortion is legal or illegal. As shown here.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Huckabee is just pandering to one of the core repub constituencies, the fundies.

As a practical matter, amending the Constitution to ban abortion is a non-starter, and anybody with half a brain knows it, including Huckabee...

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Ok.....ok.

The second half of that quote, most specifically

"change the word of the living God," Huckabee said Monday night in Warren, Mich. "And that's what we need to do, is to amend the Constitution so it's in God's standards, rather than try to change God's standards"

is among THE WORST politcal statements I have EVER heard. You can be religious. You can let your religion shape your views. That's all fine. I'm not even commenting on abortion or gay marriage - that line goes completely against separation of church and state, which is why this country was colonized to begin with! It's an abomination to America, I hope to God (yes, God) that this man does not get elected.

Glad I'm not the only one more than a little disturbed by that. Religious pandering is one thing, and certainly not new, but when it comes from an actual minister... Ugh.

McCain and Romney don't look so bad by comparison now...

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
Originally posted by: jman19
Yes, but look at the way he phrased it - what if you are polytheistic? He clearly is referring to the god of Abraham.
:thumbsdown: to Huck
You're being too kind to Huck. "The god of Abraham" is also the god of Islam and Judaism.

"I believe it's a lot easier to change the Constitution than it would be to change the word of the living God...And that's what we need to do, is to amend the Constitution so it's in God's standards, rather than try to change God's standards."

Huckabee is clearly clearly calling for a Christian fundamentalist rewrite of our Constitution. What do you call an American, Christian Taliban?
The Huckabee administration!

Originally posted by: Kadarin
The last thing we need right now is a religious fanatic as president.
... following the one we've already suffered for seven years.

Not so, Harvey. The Bush administration panders to the fundies during the election campaign, then ignores them once in office. Bush is no religious fanatic. He is a very cynical exploiter of the religious Right. He takes their votes but gives no ROI.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Originally posted by: fleshconsumed
It's one thing to oppose them because of your personal believes, it's completely another thing to force your beliefs on entire country through constitutional amendment.

There's nothing wrong with forcing your beliefs on people if your beliefs are good. I'm sure some people wouldn't like blacks to have the right to vote, yet we have the 15th amendment regardless.

Not to mention, Roe v. Wade is guilty of exactly that. It's a blanket decision that allows abortion effectively at any stage of pregnancy because it provides for the mental health of the mother, which can be construed to mean almost anything. No state can pass a law otherwise, and that's just as forcible an imposition of one's belief over anothers.

The fact is, passing any law is forcing your belief on others. Some people may not think murder is so bad.

You forget that we have rights. We have a right not to be slaves and that includes slaves to the accidental fact that half of us can have children if sperm gets in our vaginas at a particular time of our lives regardless of how it got there or our intentions. You can have any opinion you like regarding your own body and whether or not you want to consummate any pregnancy that happens to you if you are a woman, but you have no right make that call for your neighbor because you think your right is correct. Your right is to preserve your rights against those who would take them from you rather than to impose them on others. Your rights end where another's begin.

The difficulty with abortion and the absolute notion that a fertilized human egg is a person fully entitled to human rights is that it leads exactly to the slavery of women I just described. But since a fetus will become a human being if born there must be some sort of unsatisfactory definition, human created, as to what is a person. This unpleasant fact has to be faced, that religion and a religious view can't be substituted for a rational and secular analysis of when to call a human fetus a human in the eyes of secular human law. You are free to practice your religious view with your own pregnancy but not that of other women. They have the right to be free of your religion and its absolute opinion.

I'm not happy about it either. I have billions of half humans in my testicles and see billions of women in this world and I know they are here because of those billions of sperm. It's God's will I am certain there were all created to bring to term all my sperm and it's my right and duty to fertilize them all.

hahaha, What rights? You means the ones that are getting taken away every year by bush? Hahaha... Sigh.. I am pro choice ... If abortions are not allowed then we should go back to selling hanger kits to mothers that want one I guess. Boy! Won't that be fun?

Why is it so tough for you religious freaks to pound down your issues on someone else's beliefs? If you don't want an abortion .... Don't F'en have one! How hard is that?

Damn, Too many Christians not enough tigers.... I'm gonna start selling these bumper stickers soon...

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
A: The right is universal, I agree. But it's only recently, as in within the last 150 years, that we were made aware of it. This indicates to me that, since we've been wrong before, there may be other universal rights that we are currently unaware of and infringing upon. Namely the rights of unborn humans.

M; A good argument. However, I personally believe that the evidence that forced birth is a violation of a woman's rights not to have to be pregnant is clear now today. A person is born female by chance. When one is fertile is chance. Being raped, for example, is chance. The level of ones education, moral discipline, sexual promiscuity, sexual attractiveness, etc, are all chance. The children who are here should be wanted and the product of stable healthy families.

A: We are all subject to natural processes, such as aging. We will all eventually die.

M: Yes but we seek means to live much much longer and may one day download into machines.

A: Women, because of their anatomy, have a particular role in nature. Only they can give birth.

M: Then only they can decide whether to come to term.

A: Regarding the rape argument, my stance remains the same for the same reason, by asking the following sequence of questions: Who is responsible for this girl's pregnancy? Because she was forced to have sex, the rapist is responsible. Who should bear the consequences of this? Certainly the rapist. How then can we establish that the child, however created, bears any responsibility for this crime? It's harsh, I grant. But it seems the most just resolution, because justice seeks to punish the guilty, not the innocent.

M: You conveniently left out the woman who will have to bear the child of rape. Very cruel, I think and all because of principles you have up in your head, absolutes you want to force on others.

A: I very much want people to be held accountable for their actions, responsible or irresponsible. I don't call for punishment, only that they be held to the same standard as anyone else. If I were a male driven by anger, I'd be insulting you, yet it is you who have been insulting me.

M: I call it poking your conscience.

A: When anything unfavorable happens to anyone, they immediately look to assign blame to the responsible party.

M: Speak for yourself, thanks.

A: That, I think, is the basic search for justice.

M: More like the search for somebody to dump blame on.

A: Because pregnancy to women in this example is unfavorable, there IS cause to blame. Dealing with an unwanted child by killing it is not dealing with it. It's irresponsibility. Dealing with it would be accepting the consequence of your actions.

M: Better still is not to deal with the consequences by aborting if you don't want a child. You can't shake the feeling she is killing a cell growth rather than a person, a parasite, essentially, in her body. You can't escape your religious belief or the need to impose it on others. You have ever reason to believe what you believe is right but not the right to arrogantly impose that on others. You are religiously moral and emotional, not detached and rationally objective. I would act like you if I were pregnant and a woman, but I won't tell others what to do. I see that I feel what I feel and that it's only a feeling. It's a nice theory and practice in a loving family but impractical in secular reality. The judges figured this out in roe vs wade.

A: There's a simple line of reasoning here. Woman knows she can get pregnant. Woman does not want to get pregnant. Woman knowingly does the very act which will get her pregnant anyway. Woman gets pregnant. She made a conscious decision to take a risk, and now she is responsible for her decision. That's seems pretty clear to me. None of this has anything whatsoever to do with religious morality.

M: Sure it does. I look at the same line of reasoning and conclude: ........and now she is responsible for her decision and decides to abort. And lucky her, it's legal.

A: You can't cry foul because of a self-inflicted wound. You can't stand in the middle of an interstate and say, "If someone hits me, I'm the last person to blame."

M: Hit somebody in the middle of an intersection and see what happens. There is no foul. It's all in your head.

A: I don't understand.

If you hit somebody in an intersection you will quite likely be cited and you don't have a right to hit somebody that shouldn't be there. Your notions of personal responsibility are all in your head. You carry lots of guilt and have been made to feel guilty. You are authoritarian and punitive in nature. You are old testament.

A: My rights do end where another's begin, as you say. Regrettably, people don't extend that ethos to unborn children.

M: That is exactly what I said. They don't extend those rights until they meet the legal definition of person.

A: This implicitly contradicts something you said at the beginning. In response to my assertion that the right not to be a slave was granted in the constitution, you said that this right was universal and inalienable, outside of the constitutions jurisdiction. Yet here you say that it is the government that defines a person. Shouldn't the definition of a person be just as universal and inalienable as the right not to be a slave, since being a slave means you're assumed not to be human? If we extended rights only to those who met the legal definition of a person, then slaves were only human when we passed the 14th amendment, and that's obviously not the case. The truth is they were always human, and we just took forever to admit it to ourselves.

M: It is when the child is wanted. Murder a pregnant woman and you'll likely be charged with double homicide. It is when the woman's right to the sovereignty of her own body as opposed to being parasitized that the collection of human cells loses it's status. A whole person trumps the right of a collection of cells not unlike a tumor. You are emotion and can't properly think. It's a secular problem that needs a secular solution. Again, you can't escape the religious notion that a dependent fetus has the same rights as an independent human. The application of your absolutism creates a logical and practical outcome that is tantamount to slavery for the woman who in her own mind may have completely different feeling about her fetus than you do. She has to live with the consequences so she decides.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Why can't we get normal presidential nominees that are not koo-koo?

Because no truly sane person would be willing to put himself/herself through all the character assassinations, mud-slinging, personal attacks, hate and discontent PLUS spend MILLIONS of $$$ to get a job that pays $400K...unless there's something more to it than just the salary...

Noobtastic

Banned
Jul 9, 2005
Legal immigrants are :D

Nope. the cost in crime, health care, housing, tax-breaking-exploitive-cooperations, and deportations max out any slight benefit with cost.
Hell, have another country pay to raise them, educate them, then we can pick and choose just the ones we want :D

that's silly.

The fetuses that were aborted probably wouldn't be loved enough to grow up productive members of society anyways.

Love = productive members of society?

1/3 of all families with children in California get divorced within 6 years. Should we toss their kids off cliffs now??

A benefiting society does not trump life. If we continue our educationally-conditioned mentality of indulgence and irresponsibility, it won't matter if we ban abortion.

My only beef with abortion is that is it one of the many properties that promote irresponsibility. The vast majority of aborted children are sourced from middle-class, educated, caucasion women.

Not the typically-championed URM. It's the URM who need to stop having kids. :D

If their moms were ready to have them and love them, they wouldn't be paying a doctor to suck their brains out.

Wow, that's awful. I feel sorry for you parents.