Constant speaker buzzing - regardless of source and anything else

kamild1996

Dec 24, 2019
I am aware this is going to be a far fetched question, but I still would like to give it a shot.
I've got a set of speakers (Microlab FC330), which are past their warranty period. They sound great, but there's just one issue I have with them.
After about 2-3 minutes of playing music, the subwoofer starts to emit a buzz. The buzz seems to be constant, unchanged, regardless of what I do, which is:
  • adjusting the volume
  • adjusting the bass level with a knob on the back of the subwoofer
  • trying different sources (tried: a few phones, cheap MP3 player, PC with an integrated sound chip and with an external USB DAC, a laptop); also unchanged when not plugged into anything
  • trying different cables for audio input
  • plugging the speakers to a variety of different power sources, with or without an extension cord
If this information is of any use, a spectrometer on my smartphone seems to indicate that the buzz coming out of the speaker is mostly at a 200 Hz frequency...
As someone who has close to no knowledge and experience in terms of electronics and dealing with audio equipment, is there anything I can try myself to maybe get rid of the issue?

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
Are the speakers AC powered? If so, do you have them plugged into the same outlet as the computer? If they aren't, try doing this and see if the buzz goes away.

kamild1996

Dec 24, 2019
Are the speakers AC powered? If so, do you have them plugged into the same outlet as the computer? If they aren't, try doing this and see if the buzz goes away.
Yes, they're AC powered and right now they're plugged into the same outlet, but I've already tried plugging them separately elsewhere, didn't help.