Conspiracy Theory: Are antivirus companies the ones who actually write the viruses?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BillGates

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2001
Originally posted by: Harvey
Originally posted by: billgates380
I have heard this from time to time and it definitely seems possible. This keeps their services in constant demand, and ensures that they always have the fix for it released shortly after the virus is "discovered."
Cues theramin... < Oooh-wee-e-e-e-ooo-o-oh > (old sci-fi sound effect) Right! And men didn't walk on the moon, either.

Whacha been smokin', and why aren't you sharing with everyone else?
rolleye.gif

You never even considered this?? Creating an artificial demand for your product?

goodoptics

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2000
I often wonder about the same thing.
Now this: Are the companies who create anti-spam software the ones actually promote spams?

Alphathree33

Platinum Member
Dec 1, 2000
Given the number of people who use the internet and the general propensity for there to exist arrogant assholes who like to screw up our society in any medium that they can get their hands on, I would say that the AntiVirus companies need not waste time making their own viruses. And if they do, they're extra. ;)

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
No. It's actually a plot developed by the Stonecutters, Major League Baseball, and the reverse vampires in conjunction with the Rand corporation.

Comp625

Golden Member
Aug 25, 2000
Actually I think Antivirus companies making viruses to keep their business going is in the realm of possibility. Remember that guy arrested in Arizona for admitting to starting the wildfires in the Southwest a few weeks ago? He did it because he wanted more work (thus he increases his salary).

Wallydraigle

Banned
Nov 27, 2000
Absolutely, and I can prove it. First off, if you spell "Norton" backwards, you get "No Tron". As we all know, the movie "Tron" was about computers. If you get a virus it whacks your computer up, and if you get a really nasty virus, you might as well not even have a computer. So by writing their virii, the people at Norton work towards the goal of no Tron. But they don't stop at that. By writing anti-virus software, they get a chance at messing up your computer yet again. You see, it's a sick fetish of their's. It's true, you read it on the internet.

TNTrulez

Banned
Aug 3, 2001
Originally posted by: goodoptics
Now this: Are the companies who create anti-spam software the ones actually promote spams?

If only that were true. . . sigh, we would have much less spam.

tk149

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2002
Originally posted by: TNTrulez
Originally posted by: goodoptics

If only that were true. . . sigh, we would have much less spam.

I got spam from a company selling an anti-spam product. Jerks claimed that I opted to be on their spam list.

BillGates

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2001
Originally posted by: lirion
Absolutely, and I can prove it. First off, if you spell "Norton" backwards, you get "No Tron". As we all know, the movie "Tron" was about computers. If you get a virus it whacks your computer up, and if you get a really nasty virus, you might as well not even have a computer. So by writing their virii, the people at Norton work towards the goal of no Tron. But they don't stop at that. By writing anti-virus software, they get a chance at messing up your computer yet again. You see, it's a sick fetish of their's. It's true, you read it on the internet.

Very insightful! I never thought of that uncanny Tron connection.

Therefore, it is proved that Norton is responsible for all viruses.