Console replacement games

Jan 23, 2006
I saw the thread asking for console games that you wish were on the pc and it gave me the idea for a thread were we give good pc games that are similar to classic console games.

What do you guys think?

Sadly I actually don't have much idea.

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
I think the number of games that have gone from Console TO PC is going to be rather limited as the general market tendency today is to make Console games with PC as an afterthought.

Not to mention the fact that the PC platform is significantly more robust than even the most modern consoles (forget the older ones). And so any game that went FROM console to the PC, probably is a MUCH better game for it.

With that having been said:

Mule on the NES is now a Web based PC game.

Jan 23, 2006
I think the number of games that have gone from Console TO PC is going to be rather limited as the general market tendency today is to make Console games with PC as an afterthought.

Not to mention the fact that the PC platform is significantly more robust than even the most modern consoles (forget the older ones). And so any game that went FROM console to the PC, probably is a MUCH better game for it.

With that having been said:

Mule on the NES is now a Web based PC game.

Sorry if I am misunderstanding you but I am not referring to ports. I think The Boston Dangler had the right idea with mentioning Super Meat Boy

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
I just bought "The Last Remnant" as an impulse buy.

I've only had time to check out a few minutes, but it sure does seem like an exact copy of a JRPG, right down to the music and dialogue.

penske2298977

Sep 5, 2005
if I think I understand your point I would recommend:

Viper racing (1998) --- great racing game for the PC. Sort of like a poor man's version of the granturismo series on the PS, but the career mode and game overall is quite limited --- I still go back and play through it on ocassion though -- but I think you will need a Win 98 legacy box (mostly due to sound issues). Also, has some of the best force feedback I have ever seen (I mean felt) in a PC game.

I would also point out "Supreme Snow Boarding" (~ 2001) known as "Boarder Zone" in the USA --- great little game with great physics --- reminds me of 1080 snowboarding on the Gamecube (or was that the N64?). There is a guy still supporting this game (with an aftermarket patch) so it has improved compatibility with Vista/Win 7.