Console Gaming is dying?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

American Gunner

Platinum Member
Aug 26, 2010
I just want a tragic story telling RPG that doesn't appeal to the mainstream with shooter or hack and slash gameplay. Eg its not going to happen ever again. Its all about trying to be appealing to CoD wankers and selling 100 million preorders anymore.
Again, there you go with CoD. You are pretty obsessed. It's too bad too, if you could look past it you might find some great games.

Veliko

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2011
exdeath is nothing more than a dullard.

His excuse for not ever kissing a girl is that sex is only for the lowest common denominator, as it hasn't changed in the last thousand years.

MichaelBarg

Oct 30, 2012
This generation has gone on way too long, thats all it is.
Computer dudes would have probably upgraded 3 times in this console gen's lifespan, people are just bored of the same thing.
Once the new ones come out, it'll take off again. I hope.
Remember where PC gaming was 8 years ago when consoles were crushing everything? It's all cyclical.

This. Almost everyone who wants a PS3, Xbox 360 or Wii already has one. They've been out so long that the growth in the console gamer market for this generation of systems is pretty much played out. Re-purchases are usually due to system failure or a desire to get a Slim version. That's a pretty small market. Once new hardware comes along it'll start a whole new upgrade cycle.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
I don't know if this generation has gone on particularly long historically speaking. So I hit up Wikipedia.

First Generation (1972 to 1977) - 5 years [N/A]
Second Generation (1976 to 1984) - 8 years [7yrs]
Third Generation (1983-1992) - 9 years [4 years]
Fourth Generation (1987 to 1996) - 9 years [6 years]
Fifth Generation (1993 to 2006) - 13 years [5 years]
Sixth Generation (1998 to present) - 14 years [7 years]
Seventh Generation (2005 to present) - 7 years [6 years]
Eighth Generation (2011 to present) - 1 year [N/A]

Wikipedia bases these numbers on when the first major system launched and when last major system was discontinued. I've put the time between generation launches in brackets. So the average time a generation lasts is 9.28 years. Average time between generations is 5.83 years.

In terms of time between generations, this one hasn't gone on any longer than previous ones. In terms of lifespan for a generation, this one still has a long time to go. Though it is entering it's final stages. Mind you the PS2 saw some of its best games come out in 2005 and 2006. So I don't think this current generation is about to loose steam anytime soon.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Right but that doesn't change the fact that in the past, a new system that brought a leap in visuals was introduced more quickly than what we have now with the PS3 and Xbox360.

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
Right but that doesn't change the fact that in the past, a new system that brought a leap in visuals was introduced more quickly than what we have now with the PS3 and Xbox360.

Is this seriously the only thing anyone cares about?

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Wikipedia bases these numbers on when the first major system launched and when last major system was discontinued. I've put the time between generation launches in brackets. So the average time a generation lasts is 9.28 years. Average time between generations is 5.83 years.

In terms of time between generations, this one hasn't gone on any longer than previous ones.

No one bases the length of the generations that way from when the last one is discontinued since that makes no sense. Every one bases it on when the first system of a generation comes out then to the first new system of the next generation as in Sega Dreamcast (the start of the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube generation) to the Xbox 360 and from that time on. This generation has gone very long.

What's the good of the new consoles if the visuals aren't improved? More powerful consoles allow you to do so much more with your games that you couldn't before. We already know what you're going to say but there's been MANY great games released on current consoles that couldn't have been done on earlier consoles because they weren't powerful enough and the same will be said for the next generation of games. We get you only like old games and that's fine but some of us can enjoy old AND new games because a good game is a good game no matter how old or new it is.

Last edited:

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
No one bases the length of the generations that way from when the last one is discontinued since that makes no sense. Every one bases it on when the first system of a generation comes out then to the first new system of the next generation as in Sega Dreamcast (the start of the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube generation) to the Xbox 360 and from that time on. This generation has gone very long.

Which is why I did both. DS was released in 2005 and 3DS was released in 2011. Six years. Wii was released in 2006 and Wii U in 2012. Six years. It's most likely the Orbis and 720 will launch next November. I expect them to be demoed at E3. Might even see some prototypes at CES. The 360 will be going on 8 years by then, which will make it the longest between launches but not so much as it's way out of the ordinary.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001

Are you seriously that retarded that in that whole group of sentences you only pick out a mention of graphics?

That is the way game systens have been defined each gen. If graphics did not matter at all we would be playing on an nes still.

Last edited:

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000
I rarely play games on my phone anymore. The games just aren't comparable to sitting in front of a 65" tv with surround sound. That experience won't be changed until those imagage projecting glasses become more robust and main stream.