Console gaming dying? lol

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by LordSegan, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Genx87

Genx87 Lifer

I think there is some validity in that article. My take is the following. And in no particular order

1. Age of consoles - They are old as hell. Yeah new games come out for them but it needs a recycle.
    2. Reuse of franchise- Imagine the movie industry releasing the same movie every year with another I after it? Yeah, it has been done, and those movie franchises are now in the trashbin of history. The gaming publishers of today are the movie houses of the 1980-90s. Too much iteration releases. What are we on, COD 8 or 9 now?
    3. Other uses of consoles. I had a PS3 and used it to watch movies. The thing played maybe 2 hours of games over the course of 3 years.
    4. Tablet and mobile gaming
    5. Rise of F2P model. Who wants to plop down 60-70 bucks for a shitty game? You can only get away with this so many times. We have all been burned by the next greatest 60-70 dollar game only to feel burned 1 week after getting it. People arent willing to spend that kind of money up front. They would rather play the game before. You know, like we used to have demos.

2. cmdrdredd

cmdrdredd Lifer

Saying that most games suck and are $60 as an excuse to force the pay to win model down our throat is lame. People who play games almost exclusively on the phone or tablet are not hurting the industry because those people would never buy a $60 game to begin with. This is why there are only lame $2 games out there on those devices with a few exceptions.

3. HeXen

HeXen Diamond Member

lame? some of those "$2" games are a lot of fun. I play quite a few on my Ipad.
    "Fun"...yeah, remember that? It's what gaming is all about. Complex, open world games don't instantly make it fun.

4. Bryf50

Bryf50 Golden Member

Using a device that is contrained by the requirement for mobility in a non-mobile role will always be less than ideal.

5. notty22

notty22 Diamond Member

6. greenhawk

greenhawk Platinum Member

The thing I see is that part of the market that consoles aim for is the instant on / easy access gaming vs the PC. I see that being a area that consoles will loose to mobile devices. Hopefully less crap being made going forward as the game will need to be more focused, but I suspect it will be a long period of games which are more mods / expantion than actual games.

7. Genx87

Genx87 Lifer