Question Considering switching from a B550 to an X570S motherboard

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
I right now have an Asus B550-F ROG (Wi-Fi) motherboard with a Ryzen 5800x. I'm considering switching to an X570S motherboard and the MC about an hour's drive away from me carries the MSI Tomahawk X570S motherboard. Only reason I'm considering replacing my motherboard is because on most of it's USB ports, it has issues detecting my iPhone 12, Samsung Secure Erase program does not detect my USB keyboard or my Samsung SSDs, and lately my XBox One USB controller has been dropping out, requiring to to physically disconnect it and reconnect it again to get it to detect it again. Now this evening I went to the Device Manager and unchecked "allow computer to turn off device to save power" under the XBox One controller Power Management section in the Properties and also did the same for the USB Root Hub devices to see if that will be a workaround to the issue or not. I also installed the Xbox accessories app and made sure my controller's firmware was up to date and it was. Also yesterday I was playing Doom Eternal in Windows 11, and my XBox One controller stopped responding in the game and I ended up getting killed in the game and the controller was rumbling non-stop in the game until I disconnected the controller from my PC. I went back to Windows 10 and that did incident did not happen again but I still get the random disconnection issues with my controller and both times it happened I was starting up Doom Eternal where it did not see my XBox One controller and showed keyboard prompts instead of Xbox One controller prompts. I'm thinking about switching to the MSI Tomahawk X570S motherboard and then arranging an RMA of my Asus B550-F ROG with the manufacturer in case I might have a defective motherboard. I'm not sure if replacing the motherboard with a different one, especially one with a higher end chipset will solve these issues I'm getting if on the chance that it's not a defective motherboard. I have BIOS version 2423 installed on my motherboard and the latest chipset drivers installed that were downloaded directly from AMD's website. These issues I mentioned never happened in my i7-4930k / Asus P9X79 Pro system, however I never played Doom Eternal on that system, so I wonder if that game is triggering something in the OS to drop out my Xbox One Controller from my system randomly because when I go to the controller's Advanced Settings in the Control Panel it does not see the controller either when this happens.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I was playing Doom Eternal about 30 minutes with my Xbox One controller
Motion to ban. ;)

The controller works perfect on the X79? Mine is bluetooth, no problems with it. But again, I never did get the dropout issues completely fixed with all devices on that x370 board.

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
It worked perfectly on the X79 system. Also this issue started happening around 2 weeks ago. I had this B550 system since Dec '20 . I'm right now trying a different micro-USB cable that I had lying around to see if the cable is the issue.

Last edited:

legolas_tk

Apr 16, 2008
A few minutes ago my Xbox One controller disconnected even when connected to one of the motherboard's rear USB ports. The last thing I did just before it happened was I moved my Logitech unifying receiver to one of the front USB ports and in the process I disconnected my USB keyboard to make it easier to disconnect the Unifying receiver then I reconnected my USB keyboard and then inserted the Logitech unifying receiver to one of the front USB ports. So this is basically a random thing that happens and nothing to do after a certain amount of time of inactivity of the Xbox One controller as I was playing Doom Eternal about 30 minutes with my Xbox One controller without issues before this happened, or at least I noticed it happened. The thing is that the light is still on on my Xbox One controller even though communication between my PC and the controller is lost. Also there is no disconnection beep when the controller lose it's USB connection signal with the PC.

Hello,
You should see if you fixed the USB problem by disable Global C-state (BIOS -> Advanced -> AMD CBS -> Global C-state -> Disabled; F10 to save changes & reset;)

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
Hello,
You should see if you fixed the USB problem by disable Global C-state (BIOS -> Advanced -> AMD CBS -> Global C-state -> Disabled; F10 to save changes & reset;)

Swapping the USB cable seems to have fixed the disconnection issue of my Xbox One controller, or at least seems to be not disconnecting as of yet since the cable swap. I will disable Global C-State if the disconnection reoccurs.

Tup3x

Dec 31, 2016
I had some USB issues in certain situations but the fixed it with BIOS update. With latest BIOS everything works perfectly.

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
I think this workaround you mentioned here worked as it now does not have any issues detecting my iPhone 12 as of yet since disabling XHCI handoff in the BIOS. I then tried disconnecting/reconnecting the USB cable several times from the PC to try to recreate this issue and couldn't get this issue to show up again. XHCI handoff was enabled by default in the BIOS. Strange how when I had my iPhone 12 connected to my powered USB hub, I had no issues with my iPhone 12 getting detected by my PC with this XHCI handoff enabled. I'm not sure if this is just a bandaid to the root cause of this issue and if I shouldn't have to do this workaround to resolve this issue and it's pointing to very likely a defective motherboard.

Disabling XHCI handoff did not fix this issue with my iPhone 12's USB connection to this PC afterall. Today I needed to transfer some photos from my iPhone to my PC and with my iPhone 12 connected to my PC, my PC started slacking off when loading folders, that eventually many folders were shown as empty. This is when it was connected to one of the front USB ports. Connecting to one of the bottom rear USB ports of the motherboard, my iPhone 12 has no issue. My XBox One controller on the other hand, is still maintaining a consistent connection ever since replacing the USB cable which was about 4 days ago.

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
After recently testing all USB ports with my iPhone 12, the 2 front ones are being wonky with my iPhone 12 connected to either one of them. The Flashback BIOS USB port on the rear of the PC does not detect my iPhone 12 at all but it does detect my external portable hard drive. The rest of the rear USB ports seem to be working fine with my iPhone 12.

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
Well yesterday I purchased the MSI X570S Tomahawk. I haven't experienced the detection issue with my iPhone 12 on one of the front USB ports of my case so far on this motherboard. I only tested the USB connection of my iPhone 12 with one of the front USB ports of my case with this motherboard so far. One issue that I'm now experiencing with this motherboard is crackling, popping, and hissing with the audio sometimes cutting out during the sound speaker setup in Windows 10 when testing each speaker. Also should it say Realtek USB Audio as the default sound device that is connected to my speakers? I just can't win, I spent half a day which included going to buy the motherboard that is around a 2 hour 15 minute round trip (heavy traffic added about 20 minutes) and swapping motherboards and reinstalling Windows 10. I do have an SB X-Fi PCI-E sound card lying around that I'm haven't used in several years if this is a hardware/driver issue with the onboard audio, but with that thinking maybe I should have just bought a USB 3.0 PCI-E card to install it on my Asus B550-F, like 2 people suggested in this thread. Swapping motherboards is a big ordeal for me.

Last edited:

bba-tcg

Apr 8, 2010
computerguyonline.net
Might make sure you have the latest audio drivers installed. I don't know what the default audio device would be on that board, but I wouldn't think it would be USB anything. Once you find the audio device in the control panel, you can make whatever it is the default.

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
Might make sure you have the latest audio drivers installed. I don't know what the default audio device would be on that board, but I wouldn't think it would be USB anything. Once you find the audio device in the control panel, you can make whatever it is the default.

I had the latest audio drivers downloaded from the MSI website and installed for this motherboard. I also did some more research on this integrated audio, and it in fact does use the USB bus, despite it not being an external USB device. It's the Realtek ALC4080. I also had the latest and only official BIOS installed for this motherboard and I don't bother with beta BIOS, especially if there is no mention of an audio fix in the description. I'm going to return it and went back to my B550-F ROG motherboard and probably buy a USB 3.0 card with a 20-pin header (for front USB 3.0 connection) and see if it's a workaround to the issue of the front USB ports with communication with my iPhone 12 as rather use one of the front USB ports to connect portable devices temporarily.

Harry_Wild

Dec 14, 2012
Just buy the 20 watt Apple charger! $20.00 for iPhone 12.

Wait for a stable motherboard bios and then make the jump to X570S! Maybe in 4 more months?

Update: Just buy a brand new 3 year warranty pre-built corporate brand PC like a ThinkCentre!

Last edited:

Shamrock

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
I have the exact same mobo, and I will say, I am through with the el cheapo motherboards. My B550-F Wifi is dead. Tested different PSUs, CPUs, GPUs, and none of them are bad.

The ONLY thing that will power up is the ROG rgb logo.

So, I am buying the ASUS ROG STRIX X570-e Gaming WIFI II (which is x570s passive cooled). I will use that while I RMA my B550.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER