Considering lowering my car

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
So I saw a GS430 on the freeway yesterday. It sat a little lower than mine on stock wheels and tires. God the car just looked so sexy with a little lowering. I promised myself that I wouldn't lower mine but after seeing how great hers looked I'm seriously considering it.

sjwaste

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
In a word? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I lowered my Supra when I first bought it. Had to be more careful everywhere, to the extent that getting in/out of the driveway had to be at an angle, the front end got scraped up from steep drives into gas stations, etc.

It looked awesome, but in the end, I returned it to stock, replaced the front fascia and trim (damaged from scraping), and called it a day. It lasted through college that way, and the second I had enough money to undo it, I did :)

Mellman

Diamond Member
Jul 9, 2003
Meh...lowering your car can introduce all kinds of problems unless you do it properly, it throws off your suspension geometry in all kinds of ways.... I'm considering a .5" drop on my car at some point, but its not too high on the list...

PaNsyBoy8

Golden Member
Jul 19, 2001
it all depends on what you want out of your car, it will definately look a lot better slightly lowered, but you will run into problems, such as dips, driveways, and speed bumps, not to mention curbs.

with that said, one of my two cars is lowered, and the suspension kit i'm going to use to lower the second one is in the garage.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Have you thought about doing something to it that would actually increase performance?

overst33r

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
It looks fine the way it is, I would save for a nice set of grippy tires instead.

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
Coilovers are pain in the wazhoo, they're not meant for street driven cars. Yet, I see every ricers rave about coilovers as they're the next sliced bread. You can get decent springs that won't lower your car to the ground to the point of scrapping a quarter if you were to drive over it. Some springs do offer the lower stance without throwing off the suspension geometry of the car, read - if you don't need camber adjustment, you'll be fine.

If you're gonna lower it, get shocks for it as well. Generally speaking, about 1.5" - 2" drop (settled) is fine with most cars, and will give your car that lowered stance without sacrificing anything.

Pwnbroker

Feb 9, 2007
Why does nobody ever pimp bicycles? Lowering cars is a waste imo, and it ruins the car. Plus, you can't go where I go if you lower your vehicle. And, putting the wagon wheels on a car does NOT look good. Lowering your car rates about as well as making a camaro 4WD and jacking it up...on both ends.

SVT Cobra

Lifer
Mar 29, 2005
Don't do it. Especially in a daily driver.

My DSG is lowered and I always have to think first about speed bumps or go to the next gas station because the angle is too steep.

Coil covers are not for DDers. Also as someone said the chasis geometry would be thrown off...if you lower it right that is not true.

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
Originally posted by: SSSnail
Coilovers are pain in the wazhoo, they're not meant for street driven cars. Yet, I see every ricers rave about coilovers as they're the next sliced bread.

Depends on the person I guess. I enjoy driving a car that feels like it's on rails. That and I autocross, so it'd be nice. But yes, expensive. And I wouldn't get anything that wasn't fully adjustable (ideally teins with edfc for when normal people are in my car).

Altho, I just looked at his picture.. it really doesn't look like a good idea. Did you already lower it? or is it just the bigger wheels?

Mellman

Diamond Member
Jul 9, 2003
Originally posted by: AdamK47
Have you thought about doing something to it that would actually increase performance?

done right lowering a car can improve performance, performance mods are not only those that increase HP or TQ... a sweet handling machine w/ not much power is much better than a car with gobs of power and no handling.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
What gap? The picture in your sig is kind of dark so it's hard to tell, but unless your tires are only an inch or two bigger than your wheels, it looks like they'd already above the top of the wheel well.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I used to hate lowered cars, but that was because I rode in cars that used crap parts. With good parts, it's not so bad. But, I don't know that a Lexus is really a car that should be lowered... But, if you do go through with it, research and don't skimp on quality parts.

*Edit, also, don't go nuts. Remember that if this is a daily driver you'll have to drive on all kinds of road conditions. Also, if you live where it snows a lowered car isn't a good idea (assuming this is your only car).

SportSC4

Golden Member
Aug 29, 2002
Hehe, the Supra (much like my old SC400) are difficult when dropped... that long front end is what makes it so difficult to drive.

Luckily, the GS has a MUCH shorter front end. If you want to go with a small drop and still retain a good ride then get a Tokico/Eibach setup. It's not that expensive, rides good, and will drop the car about 1.5". If you go with coilovers, go with the Tein CS models. They are a good price for coilovers and are the "Comfort Series", they are supposed to be the most comfortable coilovers for the GS (much stiffer than stock but the ride quality doesn't suffer like a competition style coilover setup like Endless).

edit: you don't have to worry about the geometry of the suspension with a mild drop with the tokico/eibach setup. although, it's different if you slam it.

NaOH

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2006
I have a 1.5" drop on my car and it's fine driving around. Unless you speed around like a jerk or the roads in your area are all foobared up then you have nothing to worry about. Yes, I have to be careful about going up and out of my driveway, but that is about 1% of the time I spend in my car. My camber is fine too, the only other thing I had to get were performance shocks (blew the stock ones). Ride is nice and stiff now. If I could, I would do it again with better springs, but mine seem to be fine. Also, it's my daily driver too.

Don't buy cheap parts!

NaOH

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2006
Originally posted by: SportSC4
Hehe, the Supra (much like my old SC400) are difficult when dropped... that long front end is what makes it so difficult to drive.

Luckily, the GS has a MUCH shorter front end. If you want to go with a small drop and still retain a good ride then get a Tokico/Eibach setup. It's not that expensive, rides good, and will drop the car about 1.5". If you go with coilovers, go with the Tein CS models. They are a good price for coilovers and are the "Comfort Series", they are supposed to be the most comfortable coilovers for the GS (much stiffer than stock but the ride quality doesn't suffer like a competition style coilover setup like Endless).

edit: you don't have to worry about the geometry of the suspension with a mild drop with the tokico/eibach setup. although, it's different if you slam it.

QFT

drum

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2003
i dropped my truck 3" in the front and 4" in the back. my rims reduce my turn radius a little though.
big difference between a car and truck, i know nothing about cars really

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
Originally posted by: mugs
What gap? The picture in your sig is kind of dark so it's hard to tell, but unless your tires are only an inch or two bigger than your wheels, it looks like they'd already above the top of the wheel well.

Linked picture is "lowered" using photoshop. That's the look I want to achieve.

Originally posted by: Apex
What do you plan to use to lower it? Just springs? Springs & shocks?

Lowering springs and aftermarket shocks.

Originally posted by: SportSC4

I read on Clublexus that the Eibachs are actually quite stiff. Going with either Espelir or Tanabe NF210 springs and possibly L-tuned shocks for ride quality that is closest to stock.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Pwnbroker
Why does nobody ever pimp bicycles? Lowering cars is a waste imo, and it ruins the car. Plus, you can't go where I go if you lower your vehicle. And, putting the wagon wheels on a car does NOT look good. Lowering your car rates about as well as making a camaro 4WD and jacking it up...on both ends.

Google "lowrider bicycles"

V00DOO

Diamond Member
Dec 2, 2000
I saw a new CLS55 Benz drop to the ground yesterday with stock rims. The sucker probably cut the the stock springs to get it that low. I am always amaze how people would ruin a $100K car by lowering it.

Apex

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
www.gotapex.com
Originally posted by: jtvang125

Originally posted by: Apex
What do you plan to use to lower it? Just springs? Springs & shocks?

Lowering springs and aftermarket shocks.

Great way to go. Just pick the combo that works best for you. Match up spring stiffness with your shock compression/rebound valving, and be sure to get a good alignment after.