Considering a samsung s20 fe or s20 +

elitejp

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2010
Price difference is 100+ dollars more on swappa for a s20+ version. The main thing that would draw me to the s20+ is that is has double the ram (12 instead of 6) Im also considering the google 4a 5g which if bought new would be the same price as a used fe and has a headphone jack. The thing I dont like about google is the cpu.
I dont use my phone for gaming but do like to have a nice camera on it. As I see it all three cameras should be quite good. Im at the point where I normally would not buy a phone until I can t use my current one. The phone im using now is currently 4yrs old and has served me fine as I had the battery replaced which brought new life to it. If I hadnt of dropped it and got water damage which caused black spots on the screen I would just continue to use it. Hoping to get some feedback on everyones views

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Price difference is 100+ dollars more on swappa for a s20+ version. The main thing that would draw me to the s20+ is that is has double the ram (12 instead of 6) Im also considering the google 4a 5g which if bought new would be the same price as a used fe and has a headphone jack. The thing I dont like about google is the cpu.
I dont use my phone for gaming but do like to have a nice camera on it. As I see it all three cameras should be quite good. Im at the point where I normally would not buy a phone until I can t use my current one. The phone im using now is currently 4yrs old and has served me fine as I had the battery replaced which brought new life to it. If I hadnt of dropped it and got water damage which caused black spots on the screen I would just continue to use it. Hoping to get some feedback on everyones views

I'd normally suggest the S20+, but with the S21 likely to be announced on January 14th, I wouldn't pour money into last year's flagship. The S20 FE is more than fine if you're primarily interested in saving money; otherwise, go all the way and get a phone that will last longer.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
My wife has been using a S20+ for a few months. Frankly, she is disappointed with it, and almost took it back. The cameras are not as great as expected, and the camera software has some known issues. Little things like the fingerprint sensor sucking etc. and the face id thing isn't the best when she's got sunglasses or a a winter hat and scarf etc. Most of her issues are minor things, but they are things you would expect to not have happen to an iterative device from such a well-respected company. A quick Google search will bring up a lot of info. However some people get good units and have no complaints.

I would personally wait and see what the next year brings if you can. The next S21 version is supposed to have some good improvements to the cameras and battery life etc. although the older models may have price reductions. My wife's was $500 off for instance.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I am also looking at a S20 FE 5G as I hear google has issues with privacy and such, and I don't want to pay too much. $1000 is way too much.

Ravynmagi

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2007
Sounds like elitejp is looking at a used S20+ or FE, so the upcoming new S21+ probably not going to be in the price range he's looking at.

My experience, the S20+ has been a fine phone. Yes, in-screen fingerprint scanners are not the greatest, but you get used to it.

I'd probably lean towards the S20 FE. Pros to me are it's cheaper. I like the flat display (no accidental input holding it). It has a matte back, it's plastic but you might prefer that over glossy glass. Some of the overkill features of the S20+ probably won't be missed like the 12GB of RAM.

I think the FE is a great mid range phone, because I think Samsung cut the right corners to get the price down.

Reactions: podspi and Shmee

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Yeah I hear the FE is pretty popular, I ended up getting one, and then I hear a friend of mine and another friend's dad got one. So far I am happy with it, and I think the finger print reader is actually really nice and easy to use.

elitejp

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2010
Thats good to hear about the finger print reader actually working. My phone is 4 years old and the fingerprint reader works perfectly so it amazes me that samsung has had issues with this. I wonder though if it has to do with the screen protectors that people are putting on where some protectors may be inhibiting proper recognition.

I definitely do not plan on buying a $1000 plus phone. I dont even like spending 700 including tax for one. So last years models are perfect and used is fine too.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
If you're willing to port in a number (there are ways of doing this with a "burner" number), I believe Google Fi is heavily discounting the Galaxy S20 if you pay for 3 months of service ($20 per month).

Although there were tons of discounts around Black Friday/Cyber Monday, I think those are basically gone by now so this is the best way to get into the S20 family of devices.

elitejp

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2010
I bought the samsung s20 fe from maroon mobile on swappa. Cost 535 after taxes and everything. I dont see any difference between this used phone and a new one so overall im very very satisfied.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
I bought the samsung s20 fe from maroon mobile on swappa. Cost 535 after taxes and everything. I dont see any difference between this used phone and a new one so overall im very very satisfied.

Sounds like a good deal all around! Saved yourself hundreds over an S21.

jonwilliam

Feb 14, 2021
You got a good deal man. If you see another deal like this, please let me know :)