Considering a qnix QX2710 matte

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
This is my first real consideration for a 1440p panel, i have come across some games i enjoy that have become cpu limited cause of high framerate so looking to put the bottleneck back to my card with a quality monitor upgrade.

Looking at this monitor cause i hear much about it, wanting to go with the $370 pixel perfect model on newegg but looking for a little input about this monitor from any owners of 1440p panels especially the Qnix QX2710.

Some questions of course are how compatible are vesa 100x100 mounts with it, are 1080p and 720p quality video more blackbarred over my 16:10 panel or less?

I figured a 27'' 1440p panel will be the last monitor i purchase for quite a long time,unless 4k comes down to 27'' and single mainstream cards can play with a comfortable framerate.

Spidre

Nov 6, 2013
Here's a random question about the pixel perfect models.

The Qnix uses A- panels from Samsung if my memory serves me right. That means there is some kind of imperfection that is keeping them from being pro grade monitors. If you are paying extra for a pixel perfect edition, that means there is some other flaw to it (something like backlight bleeding, color distortion, ect).

All things considered, is it really worth the added cost to get a pixel perfect version? Keep in mind it's possible that a non-pp monitor could have one dead pixel and nothing else wrong with it.

birthdaymonkey

Golden Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Korean PLS 1440 monitors are compatible with vesa mounts. I currently have an X-star DP-2710 mounted on an Atdec display arm. If you're going to be mounting the screen, I would recommend the X-star over the Qnix. The two brands are virtually identical except for the fact that the little plastic stub that connects to the base is glued in on the Qnix, whereas you can yank it out with a bit of force on the X-star. If you want to remove the stand from the Qnix, you have to take the monitor apart and unscrew the stub from the inside.

I ordered my X-star "pixel perfect" from Dreamseller, and I'm very pleased with it. I ended up with it after trying and returning nine (yes, 9) supposedly "higher grade" panels from Dell, Viewsonic, and Asus. At least in my case, the X-star has a better quality panel than any of the name-brand monitors I tried (all of which had at least one dead pixel and varying degrees of bleed, cross-hatching, and other, worse problems). The X-star has no apparent defects, and I can assure you that I scrutinized it very closely after receiving nine unacceptable monitors. The only issue I've noticed is a bit more IPS glow in the bottom left corner than the right. But considering there's no backlight bleed to go along with that, it's really a minor complaint.

EDIT: FYI - My monitor didn't come with mounting screws, but I stole some from a Dell at work. They're a bit long, but I inserted some washers to compensate, which made the mounting process a somewhat frustrating two-man job.

Last edited:

Sohaltang

Apr 13, 2013
Here's a random question about the pixel perfect models.

The Qnix uses A- panels from Samsung if my memory serves me right. That means there is some kind of imperfection that is keeping them from being pro grade monitors. If you are paying extra for a pixel perfect edition, that means there is some other flaw to it (something like backlight bleeding, color distortion, ect).

All things considered, is it really worth the added cost to get a pixel perfect version? Keep in mind it's possible that a non-pp monitor could have one dead pixel and nothing else wrong with it.

Agree 110%. I paid extra for picture perfect and the back light bleed was unbearable. Green Sum would not refund. I posted videos. It is unbelievably bad. I would trade a couple dead pixels anyday to get rid of the nuclear horizon that my Qnix displays in every non bright scene.

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
Thank you Birthdaymonkey, i took a good look and overall i will go with your suggestion of the cheaper x-star 2710led.

$318 vs $370 for basically the same pixel perfect panel is a big difference def swinging me in favor of the X-Star 2710led. I am more interested in mounting the monitor of course which makes the x-star that much easier but overall most 100x100 mounts should work out of the box with this thing right? I aim to install a mount that is stationary as it will sit directly in front of me and never move.......

AlNasty

Dec 24, 2004
I have had mine Qnix for almost 2 weeks. I did not get the PP, just the regular one. I have zero dead pixels. Color is decent. It overclocks to 120mhz. I will not go bakc to 1080p.

I did spend the extra $10 for expedited shipping ($20 total). I ordered it Tues morning, I was using it Thur night. Shipped from S.Korea. Impressive.

I do have minor light bleed when screen is totally black, from the lower right near the indicator led. Bezel is cheap and flimsy. For $350 + shipping, I could not be happier with it. I would not hesitate to buy another or two.

I know some get a dead pixel or two. Some get worse light bleed than me. For the price, I feel it a no brainer.

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011

Seems like 1440p panels in general are a pain in the ass, buy a name brand model and get defective ones or you cheap out buying a pixel perfect offbrand with a samsung panel and get really bad backlight bleed......don't get what you pay for going high end dollar wise and you get what you pay for as far as low end goes.........

Are 1440p panels in general just that bad as far as quality goes? Seems like its a leap of faith. I know all this back lighting bleeding stuff discourages me from even touching a 1440p but then again any panel of any size can have its set of issues, it just seems 1440p gets a bad rep.

birthdaymonkey

Golden Member
Oct 4, 2010
Seems like 1440p panels in general are a pain in the ass, buy a name brand model and get defective ones or you cheap out buying a pixel perfect offbrand with a samsung panel and get really bad backlight bleed......don't get what you pay for going high end dollar wise and you get what you pay for as far as low end goes.........

Are 1440p panels in general just that bad as far as quality goes? Seems like its a leap of faith. I know all this back lighting bleeding stuff discourages me from even touching a 1440p but then again any panel of any size can have its set of issues, it just seems 1440p gets a bad rep.

Yes, 1440 monitors are generally lacking in quality control. You can read the threads over on the Overclock.net Displays forum devoted to each of the name brand monitors and see a disproportionate number of complaints.

It's basically a "panel lottery," and if my experience says anything it's that your chances of getting a decent monitor are as good with a Korean as they are with a name brand. Of course, if you order from ebay and get a really bad unit, you may be SOL with the customer service.

Z15CAM

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2010
www.flickr.com
Seems like 1440p panels in general are a pain in the ass,
You ever own one?

I own a QNIX QX2510 Matte and love it - For $300 not even a $500 Display comes close. Granted there is some Back light bleed but you don't see it in GUI and if annoys you it's no big deal to fix yourself.

Your wasting your money paying for the Pixel Perfect Option - That a scam Adv. I've ordered 3 of them. One for myself and 2 for friends that admired mine and NO Dead Pixels.

Plus with a little Tweak you can run it a 120Hz's but you may have to buy a quality DVI cable to do it.

Here's a link to the official owner forum at OverClock.Net:http://www.overclock.net/t/1384767/official-the-korean-pls-monitor-club-qnix-x-star

Read it and you will find out that I'm not the only fan of them Korean Samsung PLS 2560 x 1440p Displays.

I deal with Greensum - He's reputable - Delivery is faster from Korea then buying in Canada for 1/2 the price. I received a damaged in shippment Display and he was in full contact until I received a replacement which took about 2 weeks.

Last edited:

Sohaltang

Apr 13, 2013
You ever own one?

I deal with Greensum - He's reputable - Delivery is faster from Korea then buying in Canada for 1/2 the price. I received a damaged in shippment Display and he was in full contact until I received a replacement which took about 2 weeks.

Green sum is not reputable. The listing says in *rare case there maybe slight backlight bleed*. Even after video proof and many hours dealing with him no refund or return was made.

It's not *rare* its common, and in my case very very bad not *slight*. Stay away from these guys. If anything order from newegg so you can return it if you get a total piece of garbage like I did.

Z15CAM

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2010
www.flickr.com
if you get a total piece of garbage like I did.
Did you place complaint through eBay?

You can Fix that light bleed. I did one and it's not difficult to do - The instructions are available in that forum.

I bought those last winter and they where selling like hot cakes - Perhaps the newer stock of the panels are not as good.

Do you have any dead pixels?

Last edited:

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
Yes, 1440 monitors are generally lacking in quality control. You can read the threads over on the Overclock.net Displays forum devoted to each of the name brand monitors and see a disproportionate number of complaints.

It's basically a "panel lottery," and if my experience says anything it's that your chances of getting a decent monitor are as good with a Korean as they are with a name brand. Of course, if you order from ebay and get a really bad unit, you may be SOL with the customer service.

Might have to skip out on 1440p for the time being,i am not that much of a gambling man.

Biggest issue mostly is me wanting to ditch my 16:10 u2412m, i want a 16:9 panel for multimedia purposes as i have come to hate black bars in 16:9 content and it was either a u2312hm or going 1440p.

Unless someone makes a quality 24-25 inch 16:9 ips panel equal or better as Dell under $300?

Sohaltang

Apr 13, 2013
Did you place complaint through eBay?

You can Fix that light bleed. I did one and it's not difficult to do - The instructions are available in that forum.

Do you have any dead pixels?

No dead pixels. Yes I filled a complaint but did not help. The listing clearly says no returns for the *rare* *slight* light bleed.

I'm not going to pull it apart and risk breaking it more. I paid like 360$ for it. That's too much to pay for something you gotta work on. If I had a refund I would buy a dell and eat the difference. My plan was to buy one as a test and buy two more at a later date. I'm already eating this loss. $$ down the drain

hans030390

Diamond Member
Feb 3, 2005
I have the glossy Qnix, and I love it. That said, it generally takes a bit of tweaking to get the best out of it. If that's no problem, it's an amazing monitor at a great price. Here are some tips to follow:

1. When looking for a pixel perfect monitor, see what the seller describes "pixel perfect" as. Some allow no deal pixels. Some allow 1-2. Some allow up to 5. Some vary it depending on where the dead pixel is on the screen. Find a reputable seller that guarantees 0 dead pixels.

2. Use ICC profiles on the monitor. It looks great out of the box, but profiles take it one step further. I think a user on the internet with the name NCX posted some good ones. They also provided ICC profiles for overclocked monitors, which I'll talk about next.

3. The Qnix QX2710 seems to have good overclocking abilities. Most anecdotal reports make it seem getting 96Hz is pretty easy and common. I was able to reach 120Hz with stability, but it required some manual settings I found from ToastyX. If you OC the monitor, you'll see a great increase in motion smoothness, but you'll also notice the gamma changes. You'll need an ICC profile for this, but that's generally a set-it-and-forget-it sort of thing. You'll also need modified drivers, and it works best with Nvidia from what I can tell. You'll also want to get a THICK DVI cable. I got mine from Monoprice. I helped me reach 120Hz with stability.

4. The Qnix models seem to be hit and miss with backlight bleed. On average, they're not great. Some folks get nearly perfect monitors, some get ones that look like there's a spotlight behind the panel. Mine was about average. There are many mods and tweaks you can do to the panel enclosure to help reduce this. I removed the plastic enclosure entirely and mounted the circuit board directly to the back of the panel (which is housed in it's own, metal enclosure). Got a vesa mount for it, though you'll either need the right size screws or washers, as the screws I had on hand were a bit long.

Hope that helps! Really worth it if you like to tinker with these things.

Aithos

Oct 9, 2013
This is my first real consideration for a 1440p panel, i have come across some games i enjoy that have become cpu limited cause of high framerate so looking to put the bottleneck back to my card with a quality monitor upgrade.

Looking at this monitor cause i hear much about it, wanting to go with the $370 pixel perfect model on newegg but looking for a little input about this monitor from any owners of 1440p panels especially the Qnix QX2710.

Some questions of course are how compatible are vesa 100x100 mounts with it, are 1080p and 720p quality video more blackbarred over my 16:10 panel or less?

I figured a 27'' 1440p panel will be the last monitor i purchase for quite a long time,unless 4k comes down to 27'' and single mainstream cards can play with a comfortable framerate.

I bought a pixel perfect version from Amazon (was supposed to be glossy but they sent me matte). I hooked it up and it was great (except for being matte), I got no dead pixels and it had no noticable backlight bleed. There is a chance of bad panels, but don't let A or A- fool you into thinking that every monitor has problems, that isn't how QC works. What happens is this:

The factory has batches of monitors, they select random samples to test. If a certain number of issues arise with the selected batches they "fail" the batch and rate them based on those test panels, assuming that it is likely that most of the batch is similar to those test panels. That means that 75% of the batch might be A+ but got rejected by Samsung or Apple or whoever it was intended for. It turns buying one of these into a *bit* of a lottery, but it's still not much of a risk. If you pay for pixel perfect all that gets you is grounds for forcing the seller to cover shipping for a replacement if you get a REALLY bad one. Which is complete luck just like with any monitor you buy. There is just as much chance of getting a really crappy Dell or Asus, no company tests every single monitor individually, it's just not price/time efficient. That's what the warranties are for.

The only real downsides to these:

1) no actual warranty, shipping to Korea costs more than the monitor. If you want a warranty buy a SquareTrade one. Otherwise be prepared to destroy it or throw it away if it breaks.

2) no OSD, you can't adjust settings besides brightness and contrast at all unless you do it on the software side of things. You can get ICC profiles from several forums (overclock.net has a huge thread about these).

3) No scaler, this means very little input lag, but it means you MUST run in 2560x1440p. You can run games in 1080p but you'll have black bars on the side and that isn't fun, it looks really bad. Running in 1440p means you need decent graphics power to keep FPS smooth.

I'm ordering a glossy model if anyone actually has them in stock (seems QNIX and XSTAR ran out) because I want to overclock to 96-120hz, but I've got two very very powerful graphics cards to keep my FPS high...

Final note: backlight bleed is usually pressure on the panel from the Bezel, if you're careful you can open the monitor up and fix it pretty easily with some electrical tape. There are guides all over youtube and overclock.net on how to do it. Oh, and to VESA mount you have to open up the panel and take the mount off or it looks really silly. The stand itself comes right off but the base of the stand is attached inside. The VESA mounts themselves are right on the back, couldn't be easier...

Edit: As for sellers, they are almost all the same. Green-sum was very nice with me, I ordered one he didn't have in stock and he refunded my order immediately when I requested it. He answered my questions and was pretty nice about it even though I was upset. ECOMADE Arena on Amazon is not a good seller, they sent me the wrong monitor and tried to deny my return and was very shady, even trying to bribe me to keep the wrong version. Amazon/Newegg are all resellers, so you don't return to those places...you ship back to Korea. The only benefit to that is you can open a case with them instead of Ebay. Honestly, no difference. I'm going to order my next from Hulustar on Ebay. If this one doesn't work out I'm going with an Overlord and I'll just pay the price premium. LOL.

Last edited:

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
The one monitor i am truly interested in is the $320 pixel perfect xstar from the ebay seller Dreamseller, worst case such a monitor comes with severe back light bleed and i would need to take it apart and do a little work to make it perfect?

Taking apart a monitor is alright with me as i have done this before with others, the one thing that turned me off from buying a flatpanel monitor till about 2008 honestly was the dead pixels and i am one to notice such things.

J Macker

May 5, 2013
I tried the electrical tape mod on one of my Qnix lcds, it helped in some areas, but made one area brighter. Be super careful when handling the frame and try to keep it square & aligned perfectly.

loki23li

Jun 25, 2012
Green sum is not reputable. The listing says in *rare case there maybe slight backlight bleed*. Even after video proof and many hours dealing with him no refund or return was made.

It's not *rare* its common, and in my case very very bad not *slight*. Stay away from these guys. If anything order from newegg so you can return it if you get a total piece of garbage like I did.

Honestly there are a ton of people including myself that have gotten one of these monitors and had zero issues. My QNIX had minor backlight bleeding that I easily fixed and one dead pixel.

While I understand your point about not wanting to open a monitor that you paid good money for, it's still an easy fix for an issue most buyers who did any research knew of in advance. You also only dealt with one seller.

AlNasty

Dec 24, 2004
Amazon/Newegg are all resellers, so you don't return to those places...you ship back to Korea. The only benefit to that is you can open a case with them instead of Ebay. Honestly, no difference. I'm going to order my next from Hulustar on Ebay. If this one doesn't work out I'm going with an Overlord and I'll just pay the price premium. LOL.

If you order through NewEgg, you can return it to NewEgg as per their International Seller policy within the first 30 days for a refund if you don't like it. I would expect shipping & restock fee's to apply just like any other monitor return. Furthermore you can return it to NewEgg within 90 days for an exchange if you get a defect. I am not sure who covers shipping for a defect. If you get a defect, you should know within that amount of time.

Neofeel was the vender through New Egg. I could not be happier.

Also, you mentioned wanting Glossy so you can overclock it. My matte model runs 120 mhz no problem with Toasty's patch and software.

Shadowknight

Diamond Member
May 4, 2001
3) No scaler, this means very little input lag, but it means you MUST run in 2560x1440p. You can run games in 1080p but you'll have black bars on the side and that isn't fun, it looks really bad. Running in 1440p means you need decent graphics power to keep FPS smooth.

Not true. If the drivers support scaling, you can run it at lower resolutions at it will look fine, barring black bars from 4:3 content. That's how it works with my geforce 260 and Qnix monitor.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
I got a Shimian 27" with one dead pixel waaaaaaaaaaaay over to the left side, could barely see it and only if you were 6" away looking for it.

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
I got a Shimian 27" with one dead pixel waaaaaaaaaaaay over to the left side, could barely see it and only if you were 6" away looking for it.

The Xstar DP2710LED which is the one i decided on if i decide to mount it will be about 4 feet away from my face and if it sits on my desk about 3 feet away so i would be easily bothered by it so having a pixel perfect panel would have to be a must or bust for me.

Looking forward to honestly mounting it as a 27'' on a desktop would be to big as i have tried a 26'' t.v in the pass and honestly thought it was way to big on my desk,even my u2412m is a bit to big for me at the distance of 3 feet.

Shadowknight

Diamond Member
May 4, 2001
The Xstar DP2710LED which is the one i decided on if i decide to mount it will be about 4 feet away from my face and if it sits on my desk about 3 feet away so i would be easily bothered by it so having a pixel perfect panel would have to be a must or bust for me.

Looking forward to honestly mounting it as a 27'' on a desktop would be to big as i have tried a 26'' t.v in the pass and honestly thought it was way to big on my desk,even my u2412m is a bit to big for me at the distance of 3 feet.

I have a dead pixel on my qnix. Once I stopped actively looking for it to drive myself crazy, I don't even remember it's ther 99% of the time.

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
I have a dead pixel on my qnix. Once I stopped actively looking for it to drive myself crazy, I don't even remember it's ther 99% of the time.

Think the 15 years of coin collecting as my other hobby has made forgetting such a flaw unimaginable, coin collecting as a hobby is a trained hobby where if there is a mark on a coin basically a $500 coin becomes a $150 instantly so your looking for these marks......magnifying glass and all looking for marks that determine value.

Better odds of convincing me Wisconsin isn't part of the United States then convincing me a stuck pixel isn't on on a flatpanel lol.