Conservatives: Who would you support for Prez?

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
Pretty much none of them are good options except for Romney, who declared he's out as of today. It was telling he adopted new messaging on the poor the last 3 weeks before saying he was out; tells you how much the country has changed in 6 years, specifically on the populist notion of being anti-big business, anti-bailout and pro-poor if the myriad number of minimum wage increases signed into law last November in deep red states is any indication.

Anyway, the person with the best shot other than Bush is maybe Rubio or Walker, as they are still well liked by the base while actually being sane on policies like immigration, science, gay marriage, etc. Both youthful, so that'll be a nice contrast with Clinton. Of course there's Chris Christie, who like Bush is still potentially formidable, but Christie is like Biden in a lot of ways, just too much foot-in-mouth syndrome in addition to being in your face. Frankly I don't see how he wins over women voters that way, he won't come off likable to most Americans will look like a bully with that posture against Hillary Clinton, without a doubt.

Of course, with Obama already at 50% approval in daily tracking, and Clinton running up double digit leads on all her Repub challengers, this is probably moot anyway.

Last edited:

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
I don't know more than a handful of those people listed, so I have no idea if I would support them or not, I'd have to see where they stand on the issues. I know I don't want some idiot like Bachmann or Palin, but don't know enough about most of the others to make a call yet.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Carson, because he's a highly intelligent man, not a lawyer and not a politician - IFF I'm satisfied he isn't going to pick a battle with the gays or over abortion.

Corker, because I know a lot about him and he's a sharp, ethical and practical man.

Haley, because she would shake things up in D.C.

Haslam, same reasons as Corker.

Huntsman, because last time around he seemed smart and reasonable and not too ideologically bound.

Kasich, because I loved what he did as a Congressman and as a governor.

Paul, because I like his libertarian bent.

Rice, because she's hard-nosed, smart, disciplined, and very informed on foreign policy, as well as being not too ideologically bound. I'd love to see a Rice/Carson ticket just to see the Democrats' heads explode. I'd actually pass up Gary Johnson to vote for that ticket.

Ryan, because he's an incredibly hard worker who thinks outside the box.

Walker, because I like what he did in Wisconsin.

It's worth pointing out that I don't know enough about a lot of people on that list to rule them in or out. The ones for whom I'd almost definitely not vote are Bachmann (nutter), Brown (Second Amendment), Bush (immigration plus political dynasties), Grahamnesty, Huckabee (social conservative justice warrior), Palin (too limited in intellect and knowledge), Perry (idiot), Rubio (immigration), Stein (may be going senile), Santorum (social conservative justice warrior), and Trump (poofy idiot.)

I don't know that I'll vote in the Republican primary again though. Chances of having someone I really want to be President are slim, and last time I voted for Romney. While I like Romney, I freakin' man-crush love Gary Johnson who became the Libertarian nominee, and having voted for Romney in the primary I was honor bound to vote for him in the general. Backfired on me once, it could backfire on me again.

bradly1101

Diamond Member
May 5, 2013
www.bradlygsmith.org
I don't know more than a handful of those people listed, so I have no idea if I would support them or not, I'd have to see where they stand on the issues. I know I don't want some idiot like Bachmann or Palin, but don't know enough about most of the others to make a call yet.

Much of that info is in the links.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I think Jerry Brown would be an excellent candidate for conservatives, one I would vote for.

unixwizzard

Jan 17, 2013
I think it's really too early to choose.. ask again in a year..

having said that, of the ones on the list I know of, this early out, I think that a Rand Paul / Ben Carson ticket could be an interesting one..

still.. ask again in a year.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Yeah, it is a couple years off almost more or less.

All this endless running for office instead of doing much on either side is getting old.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
Yeah, it is a couple years off almost more or less.

All this endless running for office instead of doing much on either side is getting old.

Agreed.

These guys need to do their current job before worrying about their next one.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Isn't Ted Cruz disqualified from running since he was born in Canada?

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
No clue. I do know he was in Ferris Buehler's Day Off.

It's way too early to like anyone seriously.

Ben Stein said Merrill Lynch had "great valuations" before the BoA acquisition. Also claimed there was no housing bubble at the height of the bubble. :D

Zorkorist

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2007
To the OP. Please don't call us Conservatives. Just call us Republicans. There are only two parties, Republicans, and Democrats.

-John

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Ben Stein said Merrill Lynch had "great valuations" before the BoA acquisition. Also claimed there was no housing bubble at the height of the bubble. :D
I really like Ben Stein, but with all the crazy things he's said I wouldn't want him handling my remote, much less the football.

schmuckley

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2011
Why is Ben Carson not on that list?
I'm tired of the parties telling us what we want.
That is such a farce.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I'd vote for Huntsman.

No scandal riddled past or lack of brains. A rarity for the party unfortunately.

He's smart enough not to run against Hillary though. All yours Jeb. ;)