Conservatives should get weak on drugs

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
WG,

The bottom line is that it is not within the government's power to tell me or any other adult citizen what I can and cannot consume, so long as I do not harm anyone else (as it would be an intrusion upon their constitutional freedoms). None of your government-sponsored nannying is either desired or required.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
Added some text ?

Every intelligent person can see the what will happen in the long run. Why can you not ?

I can plainly see that the course of action we have taken has not, and will not work, why can't you?

The prevention in the Netherlands is to help the addicts that already exists to get them of the addiction ( is only going to work if they want to themselves) And to prevent getting more addicts.

Exactly what we are trying to do, and prevent here, thanks for making my point, though I doubt you meant to.

Actually i have the facts of life. I would love to be wrong. But i have spoken with addicts in real life. I new people closely who where addicts. I have seen horrific documentaries about people who would kill themselves if they would not succeed that last time to try to stay of the drugs. But all they here is that little voice "Just one more, then i will stop forever".
ohhh you've seen documentaries ...wow. If you've really seen anything you would want them to be able to get help, and not be criminalized, I think you are lying, or at the very least fabricating a reality based on your opinion. I suggest you do more research, from the things you have said you indeed have no clue. I know you think you do, and will no doubt let us know how much real life experience you think you have, but watching "Intervention" isn't experience.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
I'd be all for decriminalization of MJ. Regulate and tax it just like tobacco/alcohol.

As to the other "harder" drugs. One side of me wants to say decriminalize it all and let people kill themselves. It wouldn't be a pretty year or two and no doubt innocent people would be hurt by crazed morons but most would quickly loose their luster and the dangerous ones would quickly kill off their users.
The other side says that we have such a diverse population - we can't simply use a study from a small and relatively homogeneous place to set our policy.

All that being said- I'm mainly for decrim since it's F'd the hemp industry(but I'd also have my own grow plot for the active stuff;) ). Hemp is likely the best crop we could grow as it has hundreds of uses. Food, fuel, industrial, etc.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
I'd be all for decriminalization of MJ. Regulate and tax it just like tobacco/alcohol.

As to the other "harder" drugs. One side of me wants to say decriminalize it all and let people kill themselves. It wouldn't be a pretty year or two and no doubt innocent people would be hurt by crazed morons but most would quickly loose their luster and the dangerous ones would quickly kill off their users.
The other side says that we have such a diverse population - we can't simply use a study from a small and relatively homogeneous place to set our policy.

All that being said- I'm mainly for decrim since it's F'd the hemp industry(but I'd also have my own grow plot for the active stuff;) ). Hemp is likely the best crop we could grow as it has hundreds of uses. Food, fuel, industrial, etc.

Yip. The problem with saying that decriminalization of the harder stuff is going to cause problems is well, it already causes lots of problems, and creates many due to being illegal. As a country we have to face the fact that legal or not people are going to do drugs, that much isn't even debatable, it's the environment that we all live in that is. I agree we can't base what will work in our country of pieces of smaller countries programs, but our policies have been a dismal failure so far, I don't know about you, but if I am doing something that isn't working ...I try something else.

And the benefits to society from legalizing the hemp industry again would be astronomical, and that's not even counting the relief of the judicial system by removing non-violent offenders from prisons, and not giving otherwise normal, law-abiding citizens criminal records.

May 11, 2008
I can plainly see that the course of action we have taken has not, and will not work, why can't you?
Because it is a multi level problem. You look at the problem only from your point of view. You cannot just solve 1 part of the problem and then expect everything else to be fine and dandy. In your post from the dutch drug policy, you can see there are 4 simplified steps. In reality because humanity is so diverse, the problem already is and will only become more complex when legalizing the heavy forms of drugs.

Exactly what we are trying to do, and prevent here, thanks for making my point, though I doubt you meant to.
I do not think you can read. Because the difference is that in the Netherlands Any heavy form of drugs is not legal. Cannabis is legal but because of years of growth the amount of THC has become so high in some grown plants(not all ) that some people actually experience effect while smoking joints that should only happen when using drugs like LSD or cocaine. And that is something that many people worry about in the Netherlands. That cannabis becomes a serious threat to the health like the heavy forms of drugs. But i state again, when cannabis is legalized, there will be a lot less people drinking. And alcohol is far worse then cannabis. I myself though, rarely smoke or drink. This is not something i am promoting for myself but for the humans around me.

ohhh you've seen documentaries ...wow. If you've really seen anything you would want them to be able to get help, and not be criminalized, I think you are lying, or at the very least fabricating a reality based on your opinion. I suggest you do more research, from the things you have said you indeed have no clue. I know you think you do, and will no doubt let us know how much real life experience you think you have, but watching "Intervention" isn't experience.

I wish more then once that i only have seen documentaries. I have seen to much real life examples.
But this statement you make shows once again, that you cannot read.

May 11, 2008
WG,

The bottom line is that it is not within the government's power to tell me or any other adult citizen what I can and cannot consume, so long as I do not harm anyone else (as it would be an intrusion upon their constitutional freedoms). None of your government-sponsored nannying is either desired or required.

When you live together, you have to be cooperative.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
I wish more then once that i only have seen documentaries. I have seen to much real life examples.
But this statement you make shows once again, that you cannot read.

Oh I can read just fine, it's just that I don't believe a word you say. Your words are typical of the status quo sock puppet, acting as though there is no problem now, and that it will begin if the drugs are decriminalized, completely failing to admit that we are already in deep shit BECAUSE of the current laws.

May 11, 2008
Oh I can read just fine, it's just that I don't believe a word you say. Your words are typical of the status quo sock puppet, acting as though there is no problem now, and that it will begin if the drugs are decriminalized, completely failing to admit that we are already in deep shit BECAUSE of the current laws.

Well, when i read your posts, i really get the feeling you are a joker or the truth may be far worse. I suggest you wear your tinfoil hat and let me be just an agent of the status quo. I have done my best, but discussing with you is not possible. Talking to you is like talking to a fundamental nut case. There is no discussion, just a monologue from you. I have learned something though, since reading your posts... I can finally understand why some people are enthusiastic proponents of eugenetics. It does not make me happy at all. :|

I know that for you it is a sport to have the last post no matter of the useless contents of your posts. Be my guest...

EDIT:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yDxmHqBeVE

Last edited:

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
Well, when i read your posts, i really get the feeling you are a joker or the truth may be far worse. I suggest you wear your tinfoil hat and let me be just an agent of the status quo. I have done my best, but discussing with you is not possible. Talking to you is like talking to a fundamental nut case. There is no discussion, just a monologue from you. I have learned something though, since reading your posts... I can finally understand why some people are enthusiastic proponents of eugenetics. It does not make me happy at all. :|

I know that for you it is a sport to have the last post no matter of the useless contents of your posts. Be my guest...

EDIT:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yDxmHqBeVE

And know it is confirmed as you have nothing left but insults, good job.