Conservatives concoct another sexual assault hoax this time targeting Buttigieg. Fail miserably

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Yeah but they didn't complete it so it is not a crime. Are you going to argue with Jim Jordan? I doubt Jordan has any reason to lie about these types of things.

Haha clearly Jordan must be correct. After all that’s why we don’t prosecute all the terrorists we catch before they blow something up.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I don’t think you can sue someone for defaming a third party.

I thought I'd ask the question in spite of that probably being true. The problem with Wohl and his ilk is that they do this knowing they will be found out but seek engagement to further troll. No candidate should do that but another party wouldn't matter.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The problem is with what sounds like a crime and what constitutes one. Civil penalties? Yeah there's that but my passing familiarity with law forbids me from saying

Why civil penalties and not criminal? We aren’t talking about smearing Butteigeig here, we are talking about creating false rumors for the purpose of defrauding people who participate in betting sites.

Jan 25, 2011
Apparently this massive human failure has just been busted again in an attempt to pull more Butteigeig type schemes but this time for profit:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/jacob-wohls-business-plan-make-shit-up-to-game-political-betting-sites

Basically the plan was to invent false rumors about candidates to affect their odds of winning in betting markets and then place advantageous bets to profit based on their market manipulation. I’m no lawyer but that sure sounds like a crime.
Ok THAT could end up with charges. Honestly this kid deserves to spend some time in a very small cell and he's gotten lucky so far that he skirted the boundaries. Outright conspiracy to defraud... not so much.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Why civil penalties and not criminal? We aren’t talking about smearing Butteigeig here, we are talking about creating false rumors for the purpose of defrauding people who participate in betting sites.

Could you point me to a law that applies?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Could you point me to a law that applies?

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/1341

Whoever, having devised or intending to devise any scheme or artifice to defraud, or for obtaining money or property by means of false or fraudulent pretenses, representations, or promises, or to sell, dispose of, loan, exchange, alter, give away, distribute, supply, or furnish or procure for unlawful use any counterfeit or spurious coin, obligation, security, or other article

1) False pretenses.
2) To get money.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Ok THAT could end up with charges. Honestly this kid deserves to spend some time in a very small cell and he's gotten lucky so far that he skirted the boundaries. Outright conspiracy to defraud... not so much.

That's possible. I'm not trying to be difficult but Wohl is a slippery eel coated in grease and if there's a defense I want to know specifics.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
The problem is with what sounds like a crime and what constitutes one. Civil penalties? Yeah there's that but my passing familiarity with law forbids me from saying

I suspect if those in power wanted to 'get' him as badly as they want Assange, they'd come up with something.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Apparently this massive human failure has just been busted again in an attempt to pull more Butteigeig type schemes but this time for profit:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/jacob-wohls-business-plan-make-shit-up-to-game-political-betting-sites

Basically the plan was to invent false rumors about candidates to affect their odds of winning in betting markets and then place advantageous bets to profit based on their market manipulation. I’m no lawyer but that sure sounds like a crime.

It's dickweeds like this that support the need to re-institute the pillory.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I suspect if those in power wanted to 'get' him as badly as they want Assange, they'd come up with something.

I mean conspiracy to defraud people in online betting markets doesn't seem like something you would need to work too hard to come up with.

Feb 4, 2009
It's dickweeds like this that support the need to re-institute the pillory.

Nah bring back the stocks, stick his head and hands in it, go old school and leave him naked. Allow people to throw rotten food at him and take selfies with his naked ass open for everyone to see for a few days.

Shit like this guys pulling and most financial crimes will end quick.

Last edited:

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Nah bring back the gallows, stick his head and hands in it, go old school and leave him naked. Allow people to throw rotten food at him and take selfies with his naked ass open for everyone to see for a few days.

Shit like this guys pulling and most financial crimes will end quick.
Stocks. Gallows would be overkill.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
the pillory is like the stocks, only on a large raised and rotating platform, and far less comfortable.

It offers better exposure for the crowds to toss rotten vegetables and whatever else at the accused, without having to fight for the prime spot like they do with the stocks.

(OK, I swear the google is failing because it is confusing the pillory with the stocks, essentially saying it is the same thing. I recall the pillory specifically being a large stone platform where the accused it bound at the neck and slumped over a stone, much like the gallows. Their arms would be bound behind their backs, and the platform could rotate.)

Reactions: DarthKyrie
Feb 4, 2009
the pillory is like the stocks, only on a large raised and rotating platform, and far less comfortable.

It offers better exposure for the crowds to toss rotten vegetables and whatever else at the accused, without having to fight for the prime spot like they do with the stocks.

I’m in as long as his asshole is spread open for selfies.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009

(OK, I swear the google is failing because it is confusing the pillory with the stocks, essentially saying it is the same thing. I recall the pillory specifically being a large stone platform where the accused it bound at the neck and slumped over a stone, much like the gallows. Their arms would be bound behind their backs, and the platform could rotate.)
Think Hunchback of Notre Dam w/ Charles Laughton. First movie that made me cry.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Think Hunchback of Notre Dam w/ Charles Laughton. First movie that made me cry.

ah yes, much closer.

I think that my longtime understanding of these devices is based on a single description with some specific images in some text many many years ago. It seems that there is much freedom from town to town when it came to designing their own public shaming devices.

Based on what I'm seeing on the googles, "pillory" is something of a catch-all term for the act of public shaming...often via the stocks. (I'm aware of the adverb, but I do recall pillory also referred to a specific device). It seems that if there is a difference, the pillory would refer to the shaming on a raised platform, often rotating, and possibly with multiple criminals and general assholes on display at once. ...I wonder how much better we'd be as a people if simply being a legit asshole still earned this type of public shaming?

Feb 4, 2009
Ummm this was the first safe image to post with a minor edit of pillory
**bottom right is a knee**

Upon viewing the picture it’s not appropriate for work.