Conservative SC Rep. Doug Brannon to introduce bill to remove Confederate flag

Page 16 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I have never heard a Republican say or even imply that slavery wasn't that bad. I will say from my reading on the subject that some slave owners were horrible ( a lot of these were also black ). Some were not bad at all. I do not have any percentages for each however.

WTF? Some slave owners "were not bad at all"?

Given the mass whinging about" big government" that happens now I find that fairly ironic.

You'd be happy to be a slave if your master was not that bad?

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
This is the American flag.

flag.gif

Anyone says otherwise Mister Bulldog will tell you to fuck off.

L37Y6qN.jpg
Fuck Mister Bulldog. That flag only has 48 stars.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Let the hypocrites in the media and news continue to bash you in the face with their "white guilt" while they continue to throw stones from inside their glass houses. I guess racism is finally over since we abolished the confederate flag.... well at least until tomorrow when something else is deemed "not appropriate" to the public and that goes up in flames. We just continue to let ourselves creep closer and closer to making the book "Brave New World" a reality.
I can almost smell the smoke from the book burnings now.

flyer1BookBurning.gif

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
That would be wrong. We are honoring our past heritage and fore fathers.

I have never heard a Republican say or even imply that slavery wasn't that bad. I will say from my reading on the subject that some slave owners were horrible ( a lot of these were also black ). Some were not bad at all. I do not have any percentages for each however. There were some slaves that lamented that they were forced into freedom.

Then we had the Carpet Baggers that came in a raped everybody.

That same logic could be used to fly the Swastika but there is a reason people don't.

As for Republicans saying slavery wasn't so bad there have been many. I can think of 4 off the top of my head. This is just from memory, there are more

Cliven Bundy
Attendee at a CPAC forum (forum titled why do people think GOP is racist)
Guy from Duck Dynasty
Just heard this week think it was guy who has statue of Klan founder on his property that locals want to erect something to hide it (forget his name will look up)

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Today is the funeral for Rev. Pinckney.

Guess which of the major 3 cable news networks is not covering it live?

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Can you?

Are you sure its not all the spinning being done by people defending flying that flag over a government building generating that smoke?
Yes I can and yes I'm sure. What I was addressing is the retention of the right to have differences of opinion. I think you knew that or at least I hope you did.

But regardless of whether you knew it or not, the flags are coming down and opinions on that vary. The flag is nothing more than symbolism. The uneducated and unworldly see the removal of the flag as a victory of some sort. Good for them.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Today is the funeral for Rev. Pinckney.

Guess which of the major 3 cable news networks is not covering it live?
Ooh, ooh, I bet I can guess!!! Is it the cable network that lives in your head rent free? The cable network that the meds can't keep you from obsessing over?

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
WTF? Some slave owners "were not bad at all"?

Given the mass whinging about" big government" that happens now I find that fairly ironic.

You'd be happy to be a slave if your master was not that bad?

Oh, I dunno. If it was Benedict Cumberbatch like in that movie, I'd be his slave.

H4gM5gx.jpg

:wub:

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Yes I can and yes I'm sure. What I was addressing is the retention of the right to have differences of opinion. I think you knew that or at least I hope you did.

OK then, shall we look at actual book burnings in the US and see if the right are addressing the right to have differences of opinion in those real situations?

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
It hasn't been over the capitol building for 15 years.

Very true, it hasn't. Instead it was in front of the capitol building, unavoidable if you were on the street, or sidewalk, or the front grounds of the capitol. Couldn't have been in a more prominent place if they'd tried.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Very true, it hasn't. Instead it was in front of the capitol building, unavoidable if you were on the street, or sidewalk, or the front grounds of the capitol. Couldn't have been in a more prominent place if they'd tried.
Pretty sure it was avoidable. You might not be able to avoid SEEING it, but if you never see anything offensive, then you aren't living in a free state.

That said, I agree with President Obama:
"Removing the flag from this state's capital would not be an act of political correctness," he said. "It would not an insult to the valor of Confederate soldiers. It would simply be acknowledgment that the cause for which they fought, the cause of slavery, was wrong."

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014

As long as you acknowledge and remember that slavery is a part of your heritage, then go right ahead and honor away.

The two are inseparable.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
You have to admit one thing, hopefully.
That what America is all about is doing the right thing.
And beyond that, doing the right thing is what makes us completely different and sets us apart from all other nations on earth.
Sure, it can take some time to get there, but eventually we do by doing the right thing over and over.
Even if that may take days, months, years, or decades to achieve.

It may seem quite odd to some that would oppose civil rights or gay rights or the very notion with taking down an offensive flag, that it may seem very odd to some that in America eventually doing the right thing will forever prevail.
And to those opposed to doing the right thing, or misunderstanding the very concept of what it is to be American, that hard coded American heart must seem a difficult concept to grasp.

What I am saying is that one must really understand America in the first place.
America, a collection of many, on a path, where that path has always concluded on the side of justice, fairness, and right.
For those that fail to understand America and her heart, America must seem like a foreign land indeed from time to time.
Especially after the events of this week.

To some this America must seen like foreign land when an offensive flag is removed.
A foreign land when marriage equality achieved.
Sadly, that foreign land feeling is their misjudgment of what it means to be true American.
Their lack of grasping where it is they actually live. In America.
The land that was created and exists solely because we do get it right every time.
Justice, freedom, dignity, equality, and everything in between.

For those that want or would seek anything outside of justice for all and freedom for each and every American, for those poor sorry folks, I feel sad for you.
You are truly a lost soul living in a land of freedom.
I can understand your confusion with America and your lack of the concept of freedom being all inclusive and united, not divided as you might have hoped.
This America of ours is not some exclusive country club where its members are screened for membership. All citizens within are equal, one and all, each and every.

And when it comes to business, that every American citizen is guaranteed the right to service and equal treatment despite the beliefs of that business owner.
Why?
Because, that is in fact what America is. And what living in America means.
Never doubt or question that for a single moment.
Our constitution guarantees every American citizen equality.
Even if that might involve removing an offensive flag, or granting equality in marriage, or protecting ones right to religion or protecting ones right of no religion.
Does this make any sense?

So if removing an offensive flag, or if marriage equality seems an foreign concept, that is your misunderstanding of America.
How America came to be, the path we are on, and where that path leads to.

Try as they may, America will never allow a single group of individuals, or of religious belief, or of a political party affiliation, to hijack the American concept for their own re-definition.
Any they that would dare try, will fail time after time.
And that includes all of their many presidential candidates as well.

Last edited:

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001

Honoring what? A treasonous band of slavers and murderers who made themselves rich on the broken backs of stolen men, women and children?

The fools that lost the war they started? The hate filled cowards that filled their lands with people they despised when they were suitable as cattle, but once the slaves were freed, spent the next 100+ years trying to steal away whatever freedoms they could to maintain their "god given" superiority? Under this same banner as their battle cry?

Fuck them and their Traitor Nation flag.

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
Honoring what? A treasonous band of slavers and murderers who made themselves rich on the broken backs of stolen men, women and children?

The fools that lost the war they started? The hate filled cowards that filled their lands with people they despised when they were suitable as cattle, but once the slaves were freed, spent the next 100+ years trying to steal away whatever freedoms they could to maintain their "god given" superiority? Under this same banner as their battle cry?

Fuck them and their Traitor Nation flag.

But... but... it stands for freedom, honor, heritage and family! Honest!!

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Done deal.
The flag WILL come down in SC within days if not hours.

The amazing thing with America is that we seem to always do the right thing, eventually.
That is what sets us apart from other nations, and drives those Americans that miss the true ideal of what America is, drives them absolutely bat shit C R A Z Y !!!!!
That we eventually always do the rightful and correct thing.

And sadly, too often it takes violence or terrible tragedy to guide us to doing the correct and rightful thing.

For the Confederate flag, it took the murder of many innocent people in a church.

For SS marriage, it actually took HIV and AIDS and the many deaths for the people to realize that their kids, neighbors, celebrates, politicians, and spouses could be in fact gay.
AIDS brought the challenges of gay people to the forefront, and into every home.
And that, in a strange way, brought the issue of homosexuality into everyday conversation. Which eventually lead to the US Supreme Court ruling in favor of marriage equality.
Yes, it was AIDS and the suffering that opened eyes, paved the long hard road, to acceptance by a majority of Americans today.
And thus eventually leading to full marriage equality nation wide.

And too, it took a civil war, brother against brother, the loss of many lives, a divided nation, to finally end slavery.

It would seem to the outsider that Americans insist on always doing things the hard way.
Wouldn't it be nice if common sense and compassion won out in the first place, so we could avoid the suffering and avoid the deaths when on that path to right vs wrong?

We also went through a lot of hell, but eventually elected our first black president.
And as we fight tooth and nail for decent healthcare FOR ALL, I suspect eventually we will in fact achieve full national healthcare for each and every US citizen.
And everyone will have and afford the meds they need, the healthcare they deserve, without going into the poor house. Or having to choose between their medications, or food.
Yes, one day we will have national healthcare for all, paid for with fair taxation, reasonable affordable drug costs, and life saving treatment available to everyone.

As with removing the Confederate flag, granting marriage equality, and ending slavery, I suspect we will one day get to full national healthcare.
But only after a lot of suffering and a lot of kicking and screaming by those that just simply do not have a clue as to how America works and why Americans, in the end, will always do the right thing for all the people.

Yes, one day we will have wage equality, a fair economy where everyone benefits, and I predict common sensed gun control.

Gee... Wouldn't be so much easier, and save us billions of trillions, if we simply just did the right thing in the first place?
Naw... I doubt that. We Americans seem to love our suffering and experiencing the turmoil.
And we have plenty of republicans more than willing to stick a wrench in the wheels of progress at every chance they get.
Still, eventually our cart will cross the finish line. And then, everyone wins.
And THAT eventual success, ongoing and never ending, is our American history. FYI

Last edited:

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Done deal.
The flag WILL come down in SC within days if not hours.

The amazing thing with America is that we seem to always do the right thing, eventually.
That is what sets us apart from other nations, and drives those Americans that miss the true ideal of what America is, drives them absolutely bat shit C R A Z Y !!!!!
That we eventually always do the rightful and correct thing.

And sadly, too often it takes violence or terrible tragedy to guide us to doing the correct and rightful thing.

For the Confederate flag, it took the murder of many innocent people in a church.

For SS marriage, it actually took HIV and AIDS and the many deaths for the people to realize that their kids, neighbors, celebrates, politicians, and spouses could be in fact gay.
AIDS brought the challenges of gay people to the forefront, and into every home.
And that, in a strange way, brought the issue of homosexuality into everyday conversation. Which eventually lead to the US Supreme Court ruling in favor of marriage equality.
Yes, it was AIDS and the suffering that opened eyes, paved the long hard road, to acceptance by a majority of Americans today.
And thus eventually leading to full marriage equality nation wide.

And too, it took a civil war, brother against brother, the loss of many lives, a divided nation, to finally end slavery.

It would seem to the outsider that Americans insist on always doing things the hard way.
Wouldn't it be nice if common sense and compassion won out in the first place, so we could avoid the suffering and avoid the deaths when on that path to right vs wrong?

We also went through a lot of hell, but eventually elected our first black president.
And as we fight tooth and nail for decent healthcare FOR ALL, I suspect eventually we will in fact achieve full national healthcare for each and every US citizen.
And everyone will have and afford the meds they need, the healthcare they deserve, without going into the poor house. Or having to choose between their medications, or food.
Yes, one day we will have national healthcare for all, paid for with fair taxation, reasonable affordable drug costs, and life saving treatment available to everyone.

As with removing the Confederate flag, granting marriage equality, and ending slavery, I suspect we will one day get to full national healthcare.
But only after a lot of suffering and a lot of kicking and screaming by those that just simply do not have a clue as to how America works and why Americans, in the end, will always do the right thing for all the people.

Yes, one day we will have wage equality, a fair economy where everyone benefits, and I predict common sensed gun control.

Gee... Wouldn't be so much easier, and save us billions of trillions, if we simply just did the right thing in the first place?
Naw... I doubt that. We Americans seem to love our suffering and experiencing the turmoil.
And we have plenty of republicans more than willing to stick a wrench in the wheels of progress at every chance they get.
Still, eventually our cart will cross the finish line. And then, everyone wins.
And THAT eventual success, ongoing and never ending, is our American history. FYI

or as said with half smile

America will always do the right thing after exhausting all other options :)

"How we've always done it" is not an excuse for continuing bad policies/laws/customs