Conservative movers and shakers are done with Palin

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Finally, Palin has worn out her welcome with even the right wing of the Republican party. There are so many devastating negatives - spoken by conservatives - that it's kind of pointless to highlight any of them.

Well, I'll highlight Palin speaking for herself:

Sarah Palin’s odd, rambling speech last weekend before an audience of committed conservative activists in Des Moines has many influential voices on the right saying that the time has come to acknowledge that the romance has gone cold and the marriage is dead.

This is despite the fact that the 2008 GOP vice-presidential nominee told reporters upon her arrival at the event that she is “seriously interested” in running for president in 2016.

Her address was a 34 1/2 -minute roller coaster ride of cliches, non sequiturs and warmed-over grievances. One line that stood out: “GOP leaders, by the way, you know, ‘The Man,’ can only ride ya when your back is bent. So strengthen it. Then The Man can’t ride ya.”

The critiques have been devastating — and those are the ones from her friends.

“Quite petty,” wrote Byron York in the Washington Examiner. “A long and incoherent speech,” in the view of Craig Robinson of the Iowa Republican blog. “The foreordained culmination of a slow and unseemly descent into farce,” added Charles C.W. Cooke of the National Review.

Cooke’s assessment was a far cry from what National Review editor Rich Lowry had to say about Palin’s performance in the vice presidential debate, shortly after her dazzling national debut on the stage of the Republican National Convention in 2008: “It was so sparkling it was almost mesmerizing. It sent little starbursts through the screen and ricocheting around the living rooms of America.”

Weekly Standard editor William Kristol was an early booster of Palin, all the way back to 2007, when she was a new governor little known outside of Alaska. Less than a year ago, he said on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe” that Palin “might be kind of formidable in a Republican primary.”

“Did I say it that recently?” Kristol said Wednesday when reminded of that comment in an interview. “The name Sarah Palin hasn’t come up in the past three to six months. . . . Maybe the speech Saturday was just a confirmation of her no longer being a major player, at least in these circles.”

Still others expressed concern that the GOP is damaging its own prospects by treating Palin as though she is doing more than promoting herself and her various ventures.

“Yes, Palin is still a draw. Yes, conservatives still empathize with her over the beating she took from the media in 2008,” York wrote. “But if there is indeed nothing behind her ‘seriously interested’ talk — and it appears there is not — should she be included in events leading up to the 2016 caucuses?”

There is also a tone of soul-searching and even repentance in some of the commentary, as pundits on the right reconsider their own role in stoking the Palin phenomenon.

“In hindsight I regret contributing to the premature deification of Sarah Palin,” columnist Matt Lewis wrote Wednesday in the Daily Beast.

He added that “maybe her early critics saw some fundamental character flaw — some harbinger of things to come — that escaped me.”

Among those critics had been Washington Post op-ed columnist Kathleen Parker, who also weighed in after Palin’s speech contending that the Republicans had themselves to blame.

“In the end, the story of Palin’s rise and fall is a tragedy,” Parker wrote. “And the author wasn’t the media as accused but the Grand Old Party itself. Like worshipers of false gods throughout human history, Republicans handpicked the fair maiden Sarah and placed her on the altar of political expedience.”

Last weekend was far from the first Palin appearance that has raised eyebrows among her onetime fans. At the Conservative Political Action Conference in 2013, she said of her husband, Todd: “He’s got the rifle. I got the rack.”

“What does feel new is that she has finally gotten around to roundly losing conservative opinion leaders,” Lewis wrote.

Many seemed mystified by Palin’s unglued performance Saturday.

“Did the Teleprompter go down, did you have trouble with the copy, was there any moment in the speech where you had any difficulty because people had been so critical?” Fox News Channel host Sean Hannity asked her when she appeared on his program Tuesday night.

Palin shrugged it off. “I’m used to Teleprompters not working,” she added, and noted that had happened during her 2008 convention speech. She blamed the criticism on the “herd mentality” of the media.

As for her presidential ambitions, Palin said she was merely answering a question lodged by a “pesty reporter while I was promoting my Sportsman Channel show.” But she again said that she is “interested” in the possibility of a run.

Kristol noted that many conservative figures have maintained their credibility with the right even after their careers in elected office were over, including Dick Cheney and Newt Gingrich.

In the National Review, Cooke wrote that Palin had picked another path.

“Having been mercilessly and unjustly pilloried by the media throughout the 2008 campaign, Sarah Palin had a clear choice in its aftermath: She could sober up and prove the buggers wrong, or she could collapse into ignominious pasquinade,” he wrote. “Sadly, she chose the latter. The rest of us should choose to move on.”

"A a 34 1/2 -minute roller coaster ride of cliches, non sequiturs and warmed-over grievances?" Isn't that redundant when one is commenting on a Palin speech? I mean, when has she EVER put together a coherent sentence?

Palin is officially dead. Long live the Palin corpse.

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
Up next, Zombie Palin!

I think her brain works like one of those money booths. She just grabs at individual words flying around in there and when she has enough words for a sentence she spits it out.

Then she smiles because she won!

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
"A a 34 1/2 -minute roller coaster ride of cliches, non sequiturs and warmed-over grievances?" Isn't that redundant when one is commenting on a Palin speech? I mean, when has she EVER put together a coherent sentence?

Palin is officially dead. Long live the Palin corpse.
She is very adept at spitting out word salads.

And she was very clever in creating the whole DeathPanel™ movement.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
If the Repubs try to bury her, I'm sure the Dems will attempt to help her keep her head, or at least her nostrils above the dirt, if only to remind the Repubs to be more careful about what they wish for.

Besides, the anachronistic reactionaries and extremists of that party are alive and well, with more and more mainstay traditionalists joining their ranks that are migrating from the moderate sector as they realize who among the party actually wield the power and influence from within and how these moderates have been marginalized as traitors and ambivalent hangers-on.

Going further and further to the right as a reaction to how damaging it is to do just that seems to be at the present something that is inevitable for the party and quite obviously politically suicidal.

With the extremist Tea Party leading the way like lemmings headed for the precipice, I can only hope that the preponderance of the party, who I think are middle class moderates, get alarmed enough and take back control so as to correct the imbalance the minority extremists among them seem to thrive on.

Like Palin being set adrift on a raft that's rudderless and with no provisions, the (I think) majority moderate Repubs can do the same with all of those other whackos that found a home in that party.

Eh, I could go on and on with how many conservatives seemingly over-reacted to the beatings they took immediately following the "untimely" downturn of the economy that the Bush/Cheney Corp. left in their wake and how that reaction spawned the Tea Party, but I'd rather let the demise of Palin represent the quintessential example of how the Repub Party can heal itself and get back to letting the majority run the country rather than the select few.

Last edited:

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Did the OP just make this title up? I see no mention of movers and shakers in the article. How would the OP even know if movers and shakers are done with Palin. Also, who are these movers and shakers that the OP believes are done with Palin? It sounds like you just made up this thread title. The thread title must be changed.

And this is 2015 and I think it's high time the misogyny stopped. You're just singling her out because she's a woman. You'd never say this about a man. And wishing her dead is just over the top. I should report this thread.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Did the OP just make this title up? I see no mention of movers and shakers in the article. How would the OP even know if movers and shakers are done with Palin. Also, who are these movers and shakers that the OP believes are done with Palin? It sounds like you just made up this thread title. The thread title must be changed.

And this is 2015 and I think it's high time the misogyny stopped. You're just singling her out because she's a woman. You'd never say this about a man. And wishing her dead is just over the top. I should report this thread.

So lame. Kristol & the NRO aren't movers & shakers?

What planet is this, anyway?

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Really? He's not wishing her dead he is stating in a political sense she is dead.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
I'm just rattling shira's cage. He had a multi-post meltdown in another thread that centered around a thread title. I was just giving him a little taste showing what it's like to be on the other end of it. I'm done.

Just for the sake of information, in the thread he went off the deep end in, that thread title was the title of the article the OP centered his post around. In this case, it's one shira made up.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005

So you think that substituting "Many influential voices on the right" (straight out of the article) for "Conservative movers and shakers" in the thread title would make a significant difference in its meaning?

The point is that Palin is sounding even more bizarre now than in her salad days, and that many, many important people on the right are writing her off.

Frankly, I hope that "conservative movers and shakers" are still strongly committed to Palin; and I hope that with their help she becomes the Republican candidate for President in 2016. No surer recipe for Democrats retaining the Presidency and taking back total control of Congress.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Most people that like Palin like her because she's a bit scattered and nice looking. That's really it. No one ever thought she was a great public speaker or a deep thinker.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Most people that like Palin like her because she's a bit scattered and nice looking. That's really it. No one ever thought she was a great public speaker or a deep thinker.

I think she's smarter than she sounds, but admittedly that's a realllllly low bar to hurdle. Even in a low population state like Alaska you have to have some degree of intelligence to get elected governor. I'm guessing she figures there's a market for a "smart but not too smart" conservative female pundit and she's filling the market niche even if she has to intentionally dumb herself down to do it. Doesn't matter either way since she' never going to hold high office again, so whether she's smart or stupid makes no difference.

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
And this is 2015 and I think it's high time the misogyny stopped. You're just singling her out because she's a woman.

I'd say it about a man. Shit, I have said it about a man. Canadians will be seeing very similar headlines about Justin Trudeau in about 18 months. Maybe less, since he will have to start actually talking in the leadup to our election this fall.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

So those same people thought it was ok to have a dim bulb and illiterate public speaker to be President?

Another question the so called "smart people" in the GOP and conservative pundits, why did it take you 7 years to figure this woman out??

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Palin/Bachman 2016!

The Liberals war on women continues.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
So those same people thought it was ok to have a dim bulb and illiterate public speaker to be President?

Another question the so called "smart people" in the GOP and conservative pundits, why did it take you 7 years to figure this woman out??

Nobody likes to talk about the coo-coo-for-coco-puffs-crazy aunt or uncle that's living in their basement until they escape out into the neighborhood and cause a rukus. Either that or the Repubs were showing grudging respect for McCain's nasty habit of viewing/treating women as mere objects of opportunity and exploitation and just got tired of it now that McCain is no longer in the running.

I mean, just take a good look at his wife for example. She looks and behaves like a robo-prop from the movie "The Stepford Wives".

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I thought she had a grain of potential in 2008... her speeches, even as I disagreed with everything she said, were pretty good back then.

after losing the election, she could have gone back to Alaska, committed to working hard as Gov, studying up on the issues, and making a more serious name for herself.

instead, she quit as Governor and decided to become a reality show star.

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003

Speaking of "ignominious pasquinade"...

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
If the Repubs try to bury her, I'm sure the Dems will attempt to help her keep her head, or at least her nostrils above the dirt, if only to remind the Repubs to be more careful about what they wish for.
Not true!! Palin is not done with the Republicans yet!! The Dems will do no such thing!! Palin will continue on her own to haunt the Republicans...

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
The moneyed people running the GOP are getting tired of their useful idiot plebeian base going on wild tangents and supporting various tea-baggers.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I'm just rattling shira's cage. He had a multi-post meltdown in another thread that centered around a thread title. I was just giving him a little taste showing what it's like to be on the other end of it. I'm done.

Just for the sake of information, in the thread he went off the deep end in, that thread title was the title of the article the OP centered his post around. In this case, it's one shira made up.

Double down on the Lame. Shira's characterization of the NRO as movers & shakers is entirely accurate.

Your accusations of misogyny are obfuscational bullshit in support of a truly petty agenda.

She was catapulted to national prominence largely on the basis of gender, then left to cope with a milieu of fame for which she is ill prepared. It's the political version of pumped & dumped. Left w/o a script, she makes up her own.