Conservative Media Declares War on Soccer

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GuitarDaddy

Lifer
Nov 9, 2004
The conservicons really seem to hate soccer, but they must love the vuvusela, I expect them to adopt their usage on the floor of congress, it would make the perfect obstructionist instrument :D

"The gentleman from S. Carolina has the floor - Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Feb 16, 2005
I've been enjoying the hell out of the World Cup, save for the mental midgets who seem to be officiating it. Have the fucktards mentioned in the op ever go to an Eagles game? Or a Cubs/Cards game? Or a Cubs/White Sox game?
I picked up playing soccer again in close to 30 years. It's a blast and I am way the fuck out of shape.
Soccer
- 2/45 minute half's NO TIME OUTS, the clock runs, and usually at most there's an additional 3 minutes tacked on.
- You get a red card (legitimately) and you're gone from the game and the next match AND your team plays a man down the rest of the game
- NO FUCKING COMMERCIAL BREAKS!!!!
- It's no less of a scoring game than American football or hockey, instead of giving 7 for a touchdown give them 1 point and then compare scores.
- There is not 1 person on the field who is not a world class athlete, you can be a lardass and play football or baseball and get away with it.

Soccer > all 'American' sports. And this is coming from a longtime, always will be, Cubs fan. I love baseball, but soccer is clearly a better sport.

And all those idiots mentioned in the op are just pandering to the bigger idiots who don't like anything what weren't 'made' in Uhmericuh.

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
6M4k9.jpg

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
soccer is probably more "athletic" than any other american sports. i love baseball and football, but running around the field nonstop for 90 minutes is pretty demanding.

DanDaManJC

Oct 31, 2004
soccer is probably more "athletic" than any other american sports. i love baseball and football, but running around the field nonstop for 90 minutes is pretty demanding.

well at a pro level it doesn't really matter which sport you play... you will need to be in tip top shape. i mean, obviously each sport lends itself to different styles of athleticism... soccer with plenty of endurance + sprinting, but there's something to be said about american football's strength // power requirements... or all the running around done in basketball.

MrEgo

Jan 17, 2003
I don't really care to watch soccer, but I love watching the World Cup when the United States is playing. For me, it's not a matter of the sport, it's a matter of national pride.

Nobody is forcing anything down anyone's throats. It's on the news and on the TV because there is a market audience that wants to see it.

How many Americans watch the NHL? Not very many, but compare that to the Olympic game between the United States and Canada in the finals. Americans generally do not like hockey, but there is a sense of national pride when the team is wearing your country's colors, and the TV ratings for that game were very high.

MrEgo

Jan 17, 2003

I disagree with that, but that probably depends on your definition of athletic. I think the skill positions in (American) football are the most athletic group on the planet.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
I disagree with that, but that probably depends on your definition of athletic. I think the skill positions in (American) football are the most athletic group on the planet.

Well most of the time, football players are just standing around. How can you say they're the most athletic group on the planet when they get so much rest? Football is such a freaking boring sport to watch except when the clock is running.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Well most of the time, football players are just standing around. How can you say they're the most athletic group on the planet when they get so much rest? Football is such a freaking boring sport to watch except when the clock is running.

Rugby is clearly superior to Football for consistency of Action.

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
...I think the skill positions in (American) football are the most athletic group on the planet...
...with the exception of basketball, rugby, Australian-rules football, gymnasts, ballet dancers and, of course, futbol.

MrEgo

Jan 17, 2003
I judge athletes by how long they can run, how high they can jump, how much they can lift, how fast they can sprint, any measure of strength, speed, endurance, and power - and, of course, the skill they need to be good at what they do.

Of course all professional athletes are extremely athletic (for the most part), but I don't think anything measures up to the time and the intensity that NFL players invest to be good at what they do.

The way I see it, is if you throw a professional athlete from each sport into a decathlon, which athlete would emerge the winner? I'm going with an NFL RB/DB/WR any day.

So uh, what's the topic of this thread again?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I judge athletes by how long they can run, how high they can jump, how much they can lift, how fast they can sprint, any measure of strength, speed, endurance, and power - and, of course, the skill they need to be good at what they do.

Of course all professional athletes are extremely athletic (for the most part), but I don't think anything measures up to the time and the intensity that NFL players invest to be good at what they do.

The way I see it, is if you throw a professional athlete from each sport into a decathlon, which athlete would emerge the winner? I'm going with an NFL RB/DB/WR any day.

So uh, what's the topic of this thread again?

I would not.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
I don't give a damn about any sports, soccer, football, baseball, golf, tennis, basketball, etc. They are all about as interesting as watching paint dry.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
yea, soccer players jog around a lot, for the most part they don't accomplish anything..

ladies beach vollyball is the most athletic sport..

bigpimpatl

Jul 11, 2005
ladies beach vollyball is the most athletic sport..

finally someone gets it, i've been saying it for years!

on a side note to the soccer debate, i'm getting tired (again) of all the constant faking and flopping. I swear some of these guys could be great actors in another life. At least it's not as bad as in the NBA. NBA refs are just clueless about flopping. Soccer refs at least try to get rid of the crap.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I don't give a damn about any sports, soccer, football, baseball, golf, tennis, basketball, etc. They are all about as interesting as watching paint dry.

This. Playing sports is fun; watching sports is an excuse to drink beer, and I don't like beer. I'll have to say though that soccer is the worst of all. Another exciting 1 - 1 tie! Let's watch the highlights of the game! And they're done. Not to mention the incredible inanity of officials who cancel a goal but refuse to say why - WTF?

The USA out of soccer and soccer out of the USA! (I kid, I really couldn't care less.)

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Lol, I can't believe that this is even an issue:rolleyes:

The pettiness of politics from all sides keeps on getting worse as time goes by.

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006

Yep. Considering the obesity rate among American kids it would definitely be good for our country if more of them played soccer.

BTW, if you want to see a game that really wears you out check out indoor soccer/futsal. Much more sprinting and sudden changes of direction make it a VERY tiring game.

Feb 16, 2005
Agreed, indoor soccer, with walls, is crazy fast, and for those who think the other players are just 'running around' what do you think the other 40% on an American football team do that aren't part of the play?

JockoJohnson

Golden Member
May 20, 2009
When I was growing up, I always heard that soccer was for the kids that couldn't get into any other sport. It doesn't require any talent to start to play it so it is easily accessible to all (except goalies). That is not to say that at the more advanced levels that there is no talent. I am just stating for beginners.

As far as athletics, how are soccer players more "athletic" than basketball players? Basketball players are constantly running up and down court. Like others have stated, soccer involves a good bit of jogging and standing. I guess because soccer is non-stop that they are considered better atheletes.

BTW, I hate basketball but do like watching the World Cup.

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
When I was growing up, I always heard that soccer was for the kids that couldn't get into any other sport. It doesn't require any talent to start to play it so it is easily accessible to all (except goalies). That is not to say that at the more advanced levels that there is no talent. I am just stating for beginners.

That might be sort of true. One thing I've noticed playing on an adult indoor soccer rec league (where most of us aren't very good) is that speed can do a lot to make up for lack of skill/experience. We've had several players on our team who had minimal experience playing soccer but could run very fast, and that counts for a lot.

MrEgo

Jan 17, 2003
Agreed, indoor soccer, with walls, is crazy fast, and for those who think the other players are just 'running around' what do you think the other 40% on an American football team do that aren't part of the play?

If running endurance is your measuring stick, then Lance Armstrong would have to be the most athletic person ever.

By the way.. if you watch a soccer match, pay attention to the guys that aren't directly involved with the ball and take note at how fast they aren't running.

I think we just have a lot of American Football haters in here! If you've never played it competitively (not just at the park or your back yard), I don't think you can really speak for how demanding it is. These guys are generally all-american track and field athletes that run a sub-11s 100m, bench press 400+ lbs, vertical jump 40+ inches, squat 500+ lbs... and these are just the smallest of the guys on the field.

As for the "fat" offensive linemen that you're cherry picking - you try blocking a 280lb defensive end with 6% body fat that can run a 40 yard dash in 4.5 seconds and then tell me how out of shape you need to be to play that position. They are overweight, but they are certainly not unathletic.

MrEgo

Jan 17, 2003

At my school, our soccer team consisted of a lot of great athletes that could have been stars on our track and field team. I'm sure the same could be said with a lot of high school soccer teams. I graduated high school in 2000, though.. so I'm not sure when you graduated and/or how much that has changed since you have.