Consent to Rate - WTF?!

mrblotto

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2007
rant.exe mode: on

Ok....I'm looking at changing both our Auto and Home insurance. Currently we're thru Erie Insurance. The home policy is $454/yr, and Auto is $935/yr for 2 vehicles. So, roughly $1370 for both.

We had the roof replaced, and insurance paid for it (storm damage). To me, this says 'GTFO now and find new insurance!' 'cause we'll get raked over the coals when renewal time comes.

Anyhow, I'm looking at Progressive, Geico, and a couple of others. For Auto, the average is about $475/yr with the same coverage as we have now (plus rental car and towing coverage to boot), but the Home Insurance is out of control. Geico wants about $950, and Progressive wants about $1000!!!!oneoneone!!

They both say something about 'rate to consent' on each quote. Offhand I remember seeing Progressive had listed about $550 listed as the 'rate to consent', and '66%' right below that, and it said something like

Edit: Ok...I just looked it up online. This is from Progressive:
Consent to Rate
Premium Offered $997
North Carolina Rate Bureau Premium $599
Percentage of Increase 66%

Edit2: Just did a quickee from Geico - Also $997

I've heard about 'consent to rate' (aka consent to rape) before, but.....dayummmm......that damned 'consent' just doubled my Home insurance cost! Did the insurance company (ies) sneak up on me and ask 'does this smell like chloroform' or something? Yikes

Do any of you have experience with this, and if so, what did you do (what can I do?)

TLDR:

-Getting new Auto/Home insurance
-Auto is way cheaper, Home is way expensiver
-consent to rate = WTF

Thanks all,
Blah-Toe

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
You could refuse to give consent, that would prevent them from charging you more than the authorized rate. They would probably turn around and cancel your policy and you'd be uninsured.

Reactions: highland145

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
Sounds like your rates were increased because your location is a risky area from weather thus they want more money because of it.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
I'd personally wait for Erie to make sure they don't do anything. We have 3 cars and our house with them. My son totalled an F150 (His fault) and they paid it off. My SUV was involves in a hit and run where we never found the owner. They paid to have it fixed. Our rates never went up and they were a pleasure to do business with.

mrblotto

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2007
Just because:

Ended up going with Amica for the Home Insurance for 2018
Premium for the year is/was $420

Went with Progressive for the Auto at roughly $650/yr for 2 vehicles (2008 and 2011)

I just got the annual 'renewal' email from Amica. Premium is going up from $420 to $512 because......reasons lol

I guess that 'new customer' smell wore off eh? ;)

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I'd personally wait for Erie to make sure they don't do anything. We have 3 cars and our house with them. My son totalled an F150 (His fault) and they paid it off. My SUV was involves in a hit and run where we never found the owner. They paid to have it fixed. Our rates never went up and they were a pleasure to do business with.
This is what I would have done, State Farm replaced my roof due to storm damage, and my rates didn't change any more than typical fluctuations.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
This is what I would have done, State Farm replaced my roof due to storm damage, and my rates didn't change any more than typical fluctuations.
My son started driving and my company truck insurance went from $425/6 mo to over $1K. WTH? Dropped them after 30 years. Bastards.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
Man that’s cheap, I’m paying $3k for 3 vehicles from Travelers and I can only drive 1 at a time. Guess I shouldn’t have turned in 2 claims that weren’t my fault.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
The moral to the story is NEVER let your kids drive your vehicles.
Never has or will. We had a policy with SF covering him on his car The truck belongs to the company with it's own policy. Bastards. I did save ~$800/yr buy switching to auto owners, 2 cars, homeowners and umbrella.