Conroe support

redbox

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2005
Hello,

I am switching to intel for conroe as my first dual core. I now have an AMD system: DFI LanParty SLI-DR with 2 gbs of memory. I am planning to do my upgrade in order to play Project Offset at High quality. I know that the game may be a long time off, so I want a motherboard that has some life in it.

I was thinking about getting one of the current motheboards that support conroe, I am just not sure which one.

I usually build my systems slowly while working with current systems, (2gb of ram one month maybe a motherboard and cpu another month) something like that. What would be a better investment buy the ddr2 ram now or the motherboard, or maybe just wait it out a little longer.

o1die

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001
At least wait for some board reviews. Try the new game on your current system before ordering. Conroe isn't that much faster. Might be better for you to upgrade to the dual core x2 instead.

SDPlissken

May 1, 2006
redbox if your a gamer build the machine around your video card of choice be it a nv-sli setup or crossfire setup. buying the memory cpu frist is fine. as o1die said an x2 amd may be a good way to go. however most people have been saying that conroe will be ahead of anything amd brings to the table it's really mixed feelings on this. you would better off building what will suit your gaming needs.

Side note the rig in your sig is not bad for gaming you could just upgrade the cpu maybe add another 7800gt. just a thought.

Henny

Nov 22, 2001
I'd wait a month or two for a MB. The selection right now is limited to Intel's D975BXBX rev 304 and it'll be hard to get that rev level unless you buy at retail.

By the launch date there'll be a much better selection of MB's. DDR2 selection should also be better.

redbox

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2005
The game isn't out yet, I know it is kinda retarded to build a system to play a game that isn't out yet. However I built this system with a 3000+ A64 and that has been on the market for forever and still provided good gaming.