Connection Between Iraq and Al-Qaeda Terrorists?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fencer128

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Originally posted by: charrison
Originally posted by: Tominator
PBS interview with a top Iraqi Defector

Text

Hand drawn map

Need More?

Text

Just a snippet of the evidence that cannot be explained away....

I provide, you decide!

There is a sat photo of that hand drawing. I think limbaugh paid Ikonos for a 1 meter image of it.

I'd really like to hear the other parts of this story before I draw conclusions. i.e. the american intelligence who will have snapped pictures of this plane/train/camp from the air. And also from the UN inspectors who "ignored" it.

Cheers,

Andy

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Originally posted by: Tominator
PBS interview with a top Iraqi Defector

Text

Hand drawn map

Need More?

Text

Just a snippet of the evidence that cannot be explained away....

I provide, you decide!

Wasn't there Al Qeda in the US?
Didn't Al Qeda members train in the US?
Didn't US citizens finanicially support Al Qeda?

Fencer128

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
If this is so definitive and such a reliable source - how come Powell wasn't reading it out at the UN, or giving us pics of this aeroplane from the air, or telling the inspectors on air to go check out the camp.

These are the things I don't understand with these articles.

Cheers,

Andy

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I'm sorry, I see heresay evidence.

Where is the confirmed documentation to this effect? Verfied, not forged documentation?

reitz

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Pastfinder
maybe it is me, but I have felt since the the connection was stated that it was true. If Iraq supports the PLO suicide bombers, why wouldn't they support Al-Qaeda?
You're following very poor logic here, whether or not there is actually a link between Hussein's regime and al-Qaeda.

It is true that Saddam Hussein made payments to the families of dead suicide bombers (I believe it's in the neighborhood of $20,000 each, but I can't remember for sure), but that is only part of the story. The payments go to the families of all Palestinians killed in the conflict with Israel, whether they blow themselves up or are killed by the IDF. The families of suicide bombers make up only a very small fraction of the total who receive payments; the "fund" can hardly be considered supporting terrorism.

The government of Iraq did support Palestinian terrorist organizations in the past (all based in Egypt, IIRC), but all of them are long since defunct.

reitz

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Tripleshot
A I recall, from news sources this week, North and east of Bagdad, near the border with Iran, was an Al Qaeda village/traing camp that was attacked by our bombers and ground military.

Given that, I have given thought about Iraq's responsibility to know who is in the country carrying out para military munevers and training. In the US, we hope that our government knows where para military orginazations are trainig recruits. If we don't, we are in danger of inserection.(I think the FBI has a file on every skinhead paramilitary group in the US, If they want to act, they will. Lets hope they never pull another David Koresh or do what they did up in Idaho again).

So I suspect Iraq did know of this Al Qaeda terrorist inclave and should have done something to remove them. They did not. Therefor, I reason that Iraq knew of this, and by in-action at least, condoned it at best, if not outright giving it support. Then they are guilty of much more than sending money to Palestenian suicidide bomber families. They are guilty of supporting terrorism, which ligitimizes Bush's assertion's of the criminality of this regime.

I believe this to be true, and part and parce lto my support of this war against Saddam. He is a terrorist, he supports and pays for terrorism. He needs to be removed.........

......from planet earth.:disgust:
Those terrorist enclaves that were bombed were well known to Hussein's regime...and completely out of his control. The only place in Iraq where al-Qaeda-linked extremists are known to be operating is in the Kurdish Autonomous Area in the northern no-fly-zone. The government of Iraq has no control in the northern zone, and only nominal control in the south. Ironically, it is because of the no-fly-zone enforced by the US and UK (for better or for worse) that Islamist terrorists are able to operate in Iraq.

Spyro

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Hayabusarider
I'm sorry, I see heresay evidence.

Where is the confirmed documentation to this effect? Verfied, not forged documentation?