# Analog (VGA) - 15-pin mini d-sub VGA
# Digital (DVI-D) - 24-pin DVD-D
# Composite Video
# S-Video
# Component Video Y Pb Pr
# USB 2.0

my PC is currently connected via DVI-D.
now i want to add my PS3.

which input is going to give me the best quality out of my PS3?

if i do need an adapter, which ones would be optimal? i'm thinkn maybe HDMI to VGA?

a second question if you please, i use razer hp-1 headphones to my razer audio card, i'd really like to use the headphones for the PS3 as well since i have no speakers, if i used the razer audio card input via an minplug to rca adapter, would it work? would i still have 5.1 or whatever PS3 has?

nsafreak

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2001
Your best bet would be the component inputs as I'm thinking that an HDMI to VGA adapter would be pretty expensive. Insofar as audio is concerned you will not get 5.1 audio out of the proposed setup. The PS3 only sends 5.1 over the HDMI or optical connections so you'd have to have an optical input on your soundcard that could accept the 5.1 audio.

Cl1ckm3

Jan 30, 2008
i just remembered, my audio card has an optical IN/out...so it should go directly out through the HDAI (headphone connection) right?

HDMI to VGA adapters are only like $5...I just want to know which one to use that will give me the best quality....my LCD doenst have HDMI input, isnt component video pretty good?

nsafreak

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2001
I'd like to know where you're going to get a HDMI to VGA converter for $5 b/c I did some searching and the least expensive I saw was $120 for one. It's not a simple piece of hardware like a HDMI to DVI or vice versa adapter is where you're just changing the pinout but the signal is the same for video. You're doing a digital to analog conversion since VGA is an analog signal. In any case component should do just fine and look fine. The audio should go through yes, not sure if it'll catch the full 5.1 audio but in theory it should.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
I'm pretty sure he means hdmi to dvi .
There is no way to do hdmi to vga for 5.00 , thats less than the cost of the chip that does the conversion, about 9.00

tamagorci

Mar 9, 2008
What about connecting your PC through VGA, and using the cheap adapter to connect your PS3 to the DVI input.
What monitor do you have anyway? The problem is that probably only your DVI input has HDCP and that is why
the HDMI to VGA adapter would cost much more.

Cl1ckm3

Jan 30, 2008
Originally posted by: tamagorci
What about connecting your PC through VGA, and using the cheap adapter to connect your PS3 to the DVI input.
What monitor do you have anyway? The problem is that probably only your DVI input has HDCP and that is why
the HDMI to VGA adapter would cost much more.

well, depends on how good/poor my PC would look with VGA. i dont know.
i also dont know how component would look with PS3 or if composit or s-video would be better then on top of that i dont know what resolution composite..etc goes up to..i want full 1080p resolution from my PS3

i havnt done anything yet since i would need to buy some cables so i'm still waiting to find the best solution so i dont waste money or time just to test.

then theres the optical in thing, if i plug PS3 audio into my pc's audio card, i'd be p'd to find out it doesnt work like a driver problem or something, i'm not even sure if theres a switch in application somewhere i would need to use to mute the PC sounds and hear the PS3.
the more i think, the more questions i wonder about but i'm sure it can be done somehow.