Connecting a network receiver that only has a ethernet port with my WiFi router

Goi

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Hi,

I purchased a Yamaha network stereo receiver that comes with an ethernet port, and as it turns out, I wish to place it at a location that doesn't have a wall ethernet jack. Hence, I'm trying to connect it via WiFi. It seems to me I have 2 choices - buy a USB WiFi adapter from Yamaha, or buy a WiFi-Ethernet adapter/bridge. Will the latter work?

Goi

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Thanks. I've never really considered power line. What the pros and cons of powerline compared to a WiFi to Ethernet adapter/bridge?

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I've used a wireless ethernet bridge before and while they do work you might be better off with the powerline adapter.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Powerline is Good only if it works. The Not working well probability is over 50%.

It has to do with the way houses are wired with the 240VAC utility feeds and its split into circuits of 110VAC, plus the heavy usage of high power spiking appliances in the Modern USA Houses.

Private Homes might have better chance to succeed with Powerline than Condos, and Apartment houses. It has to so with the additional sharing and noise generated in the latter two.

Thus if one so inclined, get a returnable set of Powerline Networking gizmos, unpack carefully, try and return if it is Not working well.

-------------
P.S. The powerline and WIFI were introduced to the consumer market at about the same time in 2001.

At that time there was a Vision that all Internet service could end up provided to our homes through the Power lines (imagine No need for Comcast or TWC).

The fact that WIFI took so many strides forward since then as oppose to the stagnated Powerline, tells you something about the difficulties encountered by using Powerline as an Ethernet Network Media.

:cool:

rchunter

Feb 26, 2015
Amazon has a no questions asked return policy. I'd try them. Fact is it all sucks, WIFI included. Best to just run a real cable and be done with it, if at all possible.

azazel1024

Jan 6, 2014
Powerline is Good only if it works. The Not working well probability is over 50%.

It has to do with the way houses are wired with the 240VAC utility feeds and its split into circuits of 110VAC, plus the heavy usage of high power spiking appliances in the Modern USA Houses.

Private Homes might have better chance to succeed with Powerline than Condos, and Apartment houses. It has to so with the additional sharing and noise generated in the latter two.

Thus if one so inclined, get a returnable set of Powerline Networking gizmos, unpack carefully, try and return if it is Not working well.

-------------
P.S. The powerline and WIFI were introduced to the consumer market at about the same time in 2001.

At that time there was a Vision that all Internet service could end up provided to our homes through the Power lines (imagine No need for Comcast or TWC).

The fact that WIFI took so many strides forward since then as oppose to the stagnated Powerline, tells you something about the difficulties encountered by using Powerline as an Ethernet Network Media.

:cool:

Absolutely wrong.

Define working? Working at all? The odds of that are probably >>>>95%. Working to some set of performance standards, well, that is going to depend on your performance standards.

There is nothing about US wiring that precludes the use of powerline adapters. Since at least AV200 adapters, they've worked across split phase power in the US.

A set of newer AC500/600 powerline adapters are likely to give you at least 20-30Mbps of actual throughput from one end of a typical US house to another end. Unless you are streaming some VERY high bit rate audio, I'd imagine that would be way more performance than you can possibly need.

If you are lucky, have a good wiring setup, don't need to go far (IE same circuit) and don't have anything dirty (it is actually AC->DC power adapters that cause most problems, not high draw equipment or motors. Powerline operates in the 60MHz or so realm on AC wiring, motors don't put out noise in that range, wallwarts DO) on the circuit/house wiring, it is entirely possibly to get >200Mbps out of newer powerline adapters. It isn't entirely unfeasible to get 40-60Mbps across a house with newer powerline adapters.

On the whole, I'd still only implement them if there was a good return policy, but since all you are looking at doing is streaming audio, I'd say the odds that they won't work for you is probably too low to really consider the implementation to not work.

Goi

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
fyi, I don't reside in USA, but in Singapore, where the mains voltage is 220-240VAC.

For all intents and purposes, all I need to do is to stream music from the internet/LAN to my network receiver, so the bandwidth isn't very high at all.

Running a cable across the room is not feasible due to safety and aesthetic reasons.

The router (TP-Link 1043ND) that needs to be connected to the network receiver is about 20ft away, at the apartment entrance in the junction box. The WiFi signal is pretty strong where the receiver is. Both WAN and LAN (wired) run at 1Gbps. WiFi tops out at 300Mbps I believe.

In light of these, which solution is the cheapest/works best?

Last edited:

Goi

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Another question.

I'm thinking of connecting the receiver to router #1. My PCs, where all my audio files are, are connected to router #2.

Router #1 and 2 are connected via Cat5E directly.

Is it possible then for my receiver to access music from my PCs?

azazel1024

Jan 6, 2014
So long as they are connected LAN to LAN and not through one of the router's WAN ports, IE they are on the same subnet, then yes. If they are not on the same subnet, then no. Not without port forwarding.