Connecticut teacher mistakenly kills son after neighbor reports robber

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
Welp. I just don't know what to say about this....

What do you guys think? This is pretty tragic, but also bizarre.

Why was the kid outside in a ski mask? (Nvm, the neighbor, claimed thats what she saw. We don't know if that was really true)

A Connecticut grade-school teacher accidentally shot his 15-year-old son during what he apparently thought was the attempted robbery of a neighbor's house, police said Friday.
"Something like this is a tragedy, a loss of human life," State Police Lt. Paul Vance said.
The incident occurred in New Fairfield about 1 a.m. Thursday when a woman called her neighbor, Jeffrey Giuliano, and said she thought there was a robber in front of her house.
Police say the woman, whom they declined to identify, said the robber was dressed in black, wearing a ski mask and holding a shiny object. CNN affiliate WFSB reported the woman is Jeffrey Giuliano's sister.
Giuliano confronted the person, whom he apparently didn't realize was his adopted son, Tyler, and shot the boy when he "came toward him in a threatening manner," according to police.
Tyler Giuliano was pronounced dead at the scene. His father has not been charged with a crime.
"We're all waiting for that million-dollar answer: What was going through (Tyler's) mind that night?" said New Fairfield resident and politician John Hodge. "Something like this really hit us hard. We do want to get the real answers here."

News at 11

Last edited by a moderator:

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
What makes it a mistake? That it happened to be his son? Because it was his son, it couldn't possibly be a robbery? Does self defense not apply?

I guess if it was someone else's son it would be considered a "clean kill" or whatever they call it?

Last edited:

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
What makes it a mistake? That it happened to be his son? Because it was his son, it couldn't possibly be a robbery?

I guess if it was someone else's son it would be considered a "clean kill" or whatever they call it?

I suppose the Teacher described it as a "mistake".

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
Something fishy about this story.

Maybe a planned murder, threw the ski mask on his body afterward or something? Who knows.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
I suppose the Teacher described it as a "mistake".

If it was anybody else he wouldn't be calling it a mistake. Interesting.

Seems to me this is exactly what is supposed to happen when a man wearing a ski mask is skulking around your neighbor's house and then charges you. It's the son's fault for being a burglar/rapist.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
If it was anybody else he wouldn't be calling it a mistake. Interesting.

Seems to me this is exactly what is supposed to happen when a man wearing a ski mask is skulking around your neighbor's house and then charges you. It's the son's fault for being a burglar/rapist.

We don't know the full story yet. Nor do we know if the kid was actually dressed like the woman said. You ever had nosy neighbors? Or a neighbor that called the police on the regular to report things they "saw"?

I only asked why the kid was wearing a mask because the first time I read through, I thought he was really dressed like that.

Also, where did burglar/rapist come from? We don't know if the kid was really out there up to no good or if he was just outside, dicking around in the middle of the night.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
We don't know the full story yet. Nor do we know if the kid was actually dressed like the woman said. You ever had nosy neighbors? Or a neighbor that called the police on the regular to report things they "saw"?

I only asked why the kid was wearing a mask because the first time I read through, I thought he was really dressed like that.

Also, where did burglar/rapist come from? We don't know if the kid was really out there up to no good or if he was just outside, dicking around in the middle of the night.

Usually the guy dicking around someone's house wearing a ski mask is a burglar or a rapist

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
"Usually", huh?

What kind of neighborhood do you live in?

I can guarantee someone wearing a ski mask in south Texas in September is not going skiing. I would suspect the weather in Connecticut on the 28th wasn't cold enough to require wearing a ski mask either. Not to mention the person was snooping around at 1am.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
I can guarantee someone wearing a ski mask in south Texas in September is not going skiing. I would suspect the weather in Connecticut on the 28th wasn't cold enough to require wearing a ski mask either. Not to mention the person was snooping around at 1am.

I understand that, but we don't know what the kid was wearing yet. Like I said before, the woman claimed she saw someone dressed in that clothing...yet the news reports doesnt say whether the guy's son was actually out there dressed in a Ski Mask.

All I'm saying is let more facts come out. Maybe I shouldnt have said he was wearing a Ski Mask in my OP, I was under that impression too until I started looking into the story more. I only assumed that what he was wearing because the woman told the police thats what she saw.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
I find it odd that the father would have shot his stepson unless he couldn't recognize him due to wearing something that obscured his identity.

The report never said he couldn't recognize him because he was wearing something...rather, he just didn't recognize him at first as his son. There could be a few factors that play into this. Was it dark outside and the father couldnt make him out? Was the son, REALLY wearing a mask? Was the father perhaps disoriented as it was late in the night and might have been asleep when the neighbor called him to investigate?

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
I kind of wonder why they even make ski masks anymore. Sure its sometimes cold enough that you'd want one but despite this I've never seen anyone who wasn't robbing a bank or committing a crime wearing one. Imagine if I wore one into the bank on a cold winter's day, they'd probably trip the silent alarm. That garment's reputation is so bad you can't even wear one legitimately anymore.

I don't really ski. Do people at ski resorts at least not balk at them?

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
I kind of wonder why they even make ski masks anymore. Sure its sometimes cold enough that you'd want one but despite this I've never seen anyone who wasn't robbing a bank or committing a crime wearing one. Imagine if I wore one into the bank on a cold winter's day, they'd probably trip the silent alarm. That garment's reputation is so bad you can't even wear one legitimately anymore.

I don't really ski. Do people at ski resorts at least not balk at them?

People wear them for skiing