Connect TV digital output to stereo RCA inputs

Linda L

Apr 3, 2018
I have a Panasonic TV that has no RCA outputs and a stereo receiver that has only RCA inputs. I've tried using 2 different Digital Audio Converters but neither worked. I did some searching online and saw in a couple places that say you need to set the audio output on the TV to PCM. There is no option on my TV to do that. I contacted Panasonic support who 'chatted' (no more phone calls) that the Panasonic will change the output to PCM as needed. So I've reached the limit of anything I may know about this. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Reactions: Thebobo

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Get a good DAC and you will be fine. The better ones will support most formats not just PCM.

mdram

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2014
page 52 of the manual

Digital audio out selection
(Auto/PCM)
Selects the initial setting for digital audio output signal from DIGITAL AUDIO
OUT and HDMI 2 (ARC function) terminals.
Auto
: Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Digital and HE-AAC multi-channel are output
as Dolby Digital Bit stream. MPEG is output as PCM.
PCM
: Digital output signal is fixed to PCM.
(Auto/PCM)
Auto
PCM
For video contents of Media Player / Network services.
ARC (Audio Return Channel): A function of digital audio output using HDMI
cable.
For video contents of Media Player / N

Linda L

Apr 3, 2018
page 52 of the manual

(Auto/PCM)
Selects the initial setting for digital audio output signal from DIGITAL AUDIO
OUT and HDMI 2 (ARC function) terminals.
Auto
: Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Digital and HE-AAC multi-channel are output
as Dolby Digital Bit stream. MPEG is output as PCM.
PCM
: Digital output signal is fixed to PCM.
(Auto/PCM)
Auto
PCM
For video contents of Media Player / Network services.
ARC (Audio Return Channel): A function of digital audio output using HDMI
cable.
For video contents of Media Player / N

I've been curious as to what that manual is. The manual I got with the TV has only 31 pages. But I found pretty much that same information when I researched this online.The TV has no options for DIGITAL OUTPUT or for DOLBY. Panasonic support sent me a document that shows how to connect digital output to component/RCA with a diagram that showed the connection using a converter, but there was no mention of PCM. So I still seem to be stuck unless the 2 converters I tried are not compatible with my TV for some reason.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
So what format is the digital signal being sent? once we know this we can recommend a DAC that will work.

Linda L

Apr 3, 2018
So what format is the digital signal being sent? once we know this we can recommend a DAC that will work.

After another long chat with Panasonic support, the answer is that the TV will detect the output and automatically switch to the correct signal. I specifically asked about playing a Netflix movie directly from the TV and not from a device and she said the signal will switch appropriately to PCM. I may just have to admit defeat now. I'd wanted to connect my TV to the receiver and then connect my AppleTV to the TV via HDMI (the new AppleTV doesn't have digital or RCA). That's how it worked with my old Sony but it had RCA outputs. I can't understand why Panasonic would not provide them. This is actually the last plasma TV Panasonic made. I should have stuck with my good old Sony...All of these companies are terrible. Things would be just fine if AppIe hadn't disabled access to the apple store from my old AppleTV Version 1 - it had RCA outputs going directly to my receiver.

But...is you can recommend a specific converter to try, I'm all for it.

Linda L

Apr 3, 2018

I must be missing something here (maybe a joke? or an advertisement?)...your list of computers and motherboards, etc - that has something to do with my post?

And "Oppan Gangnam style" - So “Gangnam Style” simply is referencing this sort of elite, “new money”, wealthy culture and lifestyle that has sprung up around the region
refers to??...

After all that, hopefully you can recommend a good converter?

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I must be missing something here (maybe a joke? or an advertisement?)...your list of computers and motherboards, etc - that has something to do with my post?

And "Oppan Gangnam style" - So “Gangnam Style” simply is referencing this sort of elite, “new money”, wealthy culture and lifestyle that has sprung up around the region
refers to??...

After all that, hopefully you can recommend a good converter?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bZkp7q19f0