connect router to CenturyLink Zyxel C1100Z

quangdaika

May 26, 2005
I have CenturyLink fiber optics with a Zyxel C1100Z modem/router. I want to set it up as standalone modem and connect that to the ASUS RT-N56U router.

I've read that I can go to the Zyxel and turn on Transparent Bridging and turn off Wi-Fi. My question is how do I connect the router to the modem? Just connect ethernet port to ethernet port?

Thanks for the help.

PliotronX

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 1999
You disable Wi-Fi by enabling transparent bridging in one fell swoop :) yeah so typically you will be in the zyxel interface using the info on the bottom of the modem. Once there, I believe its kind of hidden in a drop down box where you would normally select static IP/DHCP/PPPoE WAN mode. Once you do this, you may lose the ability to interact with the zyxel but that is what you want. Then you will need to plug the WAN port of your router I believe inot either the WAN port or port 1 of the LAN ports (I find it by experimentation). Then you will need to configure PPPoE in your router and everything should be right as rain.

JoeBleed

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2000
Will you Asus router allow to assign vlan tags? Or will Centurylink, in your location, remove the vlan option and just allow you to plug your router directly into the ONT? I'ts my understanding if you don't have their TV service you don't need their router/modem. but they're killing off their TV service so it shouldn't matter anymore soon.

freeskier93

Apr 17, 2015
You disable Wi-Fi by enabling transparent bridging in one fell swoop :) yeah so typically you will be in the zyxel interface using the info on the bottom of the modem. Once there, I believe its kind of hidden in a drop down box where you would normally select static IP/DHCP/PPPoE WAN mode. Once you do this, you may lose the ability to interact with the zyxel but that is what you want. Then you will need to plug the WAN port of your router I believe inot either the WAN port or port 1 of the LAN ports (I find it by experimentation). Then you will need to configure PPPoE in your router and everything should be right as rain.

CenturyLink doesn't give you PPPoE login unless you ask. In bridge mode the CenturyLink router should still be handling PPPoE and VLAN tagging, you're basically just disabling wifi and routing and passing traffic through.

OP, I'd recommend calling CenturyLink to get your PPPoE login, then you can take the CenturyLink router out of the loop. Your router just needs to also support VLAN tagging. You can find the VLAN information on Google.

PliotronX

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 1999
CenturyLink doesn't give you PPPoE login unless you ask. In bridge mode the CenturyLink router should still be handling PPPoE and VLAN tagging, you're basically just disabling wifi and routing and passing traffic through.

OP, I'd recommend calling CenturyLink to get your PPPoE login, then you can take the CenturyLink router out of the loop. Your router just needs to also support VLAN tagging. You can find the VLAN information on Google.
That is not correct, in bridging the (personal) router then authenticates PPPoE. I did notice VLAN ID 201 on the ZyXels in my area but it does not seem to matter if it is enabled or not (personal experience with ERLs and Netgear Prosafes).