Connect 2 LCD's with DVI

tontod

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
I have a 2nd monitor in my cube at work (both are HP 1940). The PC just has 1 vga output, which is where my main monitor is connected to. I want to use the DVI connector to connect the 2nd display to my main display - someone gave me a DVI cable. Will it work?

foofoo

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2001
no-
for the most part, monitor inputs are inputs only (although someone here will probably dig out an obscure specialized piece of hardware that can do this).

Matthias99

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2003
Originally posted by: tontod
Anyone else know if its possible?

Um, no. What the heck are you going to connect it *to*? Your video card only has one output -- and it's VGA-only, at that.

You need a second video card, or to replace your existing one with a dual-output model.

tontod

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
I just wanted to string along 2 displays off of one VGA connection, didnt think it was possible, was just wondering.

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Moderator<br>A/V & Home Theater<br>Elite member
Aug 6, 2001
Originally posted by: tontod
I just wanted to string along 2 displays off of one VGA connection, didnt think it was possible, was just wondering.

You could get a splitter and have them display the same thing if they both have VGA input, but that's it I think.

You can just get a 2nd videocard though as has been mentioned.

pkme2

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2005
I use a Matrox card that has a dual head. I can run two monitors off my DVI and run a third off my VGA.
The 2 monitors displays a split desktop and the third another desktop. If I ran 3 analogs, I could do Cinerama.

Your card will probably show the identical desktop which is not what you want, if it works. You want to double the width of your desktop, right?
You can with a dual head card from Matrox. Matrox has splitter cords for analog hookups or digital.

Check eBay for inexpensive Matrox 32MB cards.