Congress's bi-partisan USPS overhaul law

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001

I knew about dropping a previous mandate that forced the agency to cover its health care costs years in advance.
I didn't know about requiring retired postal employees to enroll in Medicare when eligible.

That's going to cost postal employees, i think.

If they're like normal govt employees, they didnt have any $ taken from their paychecks for medicare or social security.
My understanding is that normal govt employees have to pay for Medicare Part A out of pocket: https://www.opm.gov/healthcare-insurance/healthcare/medicare/
(Private sector employees that paid at least 10yrs into medicare get Part A for free for life starting at Age 65.)

Lezunto

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2020
I recall the days when the USPS had to pre-pay its pension obligations out of its annual profits. Finally, common sense delivered by our post office.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

I knew about dropping a previous mandate that forced the agency to cover its health care costs years in advance.
I didn't know about requiring retired postal employees to enroll in Medicare when eligible.

That's going to cost postal employees, i think.

If they're like normal govt employees, they didnt have any $ taken from their paychecks for medicare or social security.
My understanding is that normal govt employees have to pay for Medicare Part A out of pocket: https://www.opm.gov/healthcare-insurance/healthcare/medicare/
(Private sector employees that paid at least 10yrs into medicare get Part A for free for life starting at Age 65.)
Federal employees have money deducted for both social security and medicare. That used to not be the case but changed a long time ago, like in the 80's.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
Honestly I'm glad to see the post office and the IRS finally get the funding to do their jobs. The fact that no one is talking more about funding the IRS is really stunning to me given how big a deal it is. These are major wins for Biden and they really should be putting them on every billboard, tv ad, newspaper they can. "We're coming after the billionaires so that your schoolkids can finally get the textbooks they need" or something like that

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Honestly I'm glad to see the post office and the IRS finally get the funding to do their jobs. The fact that no one is talking more about funding the IRS is really stunning to me given how big a deal it is. These are major wins for Biden and they really should be putting them on every billboard, tv ad, newspaper they can. "We're coming after the billionaires so that your schoolkids can finally get the textbooks they need" or something like that
Can't have too much light shed on things this administration is getting done or people might start to think the Demonrats aren't all that bad.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Excellent, they have finally done something about the screwed up USPS Pension Plan.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
And? It's still something getting accomplished under Biden's administration, and some folks would have you believe nothing positive is getting done.
I don't see how it isn't a pure Trump win. He is the Republican Party and nothing gets done without Republican votes so anything that gets done is a Republican accomplishment. You are just spinning.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
You haven't watch any Fox news then. They are apoplectic about it, 24/7. Claims they are just going to go after little old you and me.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
I think this was a highly Bipartisan bill.
The GOP during their recent time in power had Dejoy on Capitol hill begging for more funding and they shut him down. The same for the IRS director. Really hard to give the GOP credit for this. At best a few are jumping on the bandwagon. The closest thing to the GOPs official position is that mail should be privatized and mostly run by for profit companies like FedEx and UPS with the government uninvolved. Maybe you disagree with that as policy but it was more or less the direction the GOP leadership wanted to take things.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
The GOP during their recent time in power had Dejoy on Capitol hill begging for more funding and they shut him down. The same for the IRS director. Really hard to give the GOP credit for this. At best a few are jumping on the bandwagon. The closest thing to the GOPs official position is that mail should be privatized and mostly run by for profit companies like FedEx and UPS with the government uninvolved. Maybe you disagree with that as policy but it was more or less the direction the GOP leadership wanted to take things.

Senate Vote

Yea - 79
Nay - 19
No Vote - 2

House Vote

Yea - 342
Nay - 92
Present - 0
No Vote - 0

Lezunto

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2020
The situation with USPS finances began when certain folks in Congress at the behest of lobbyists for UPS and FedEx began pushing to handicap their main opposition with this pre-funding nonsense.

It worked, USPS had little money to invest in new technologies, replace its aging delivery fleet and modernize its operations.

Louis De Joy did nothing at the USPS but try to help Trump win the 2020 election. He removed or disabled sorting machines and ordered employees to slow down the mail. All in an effort to deep-six mail balloting.

He also opposed the purchase of electric vehicles and wanted to end Saturday deliveries. Elderly folks and shut-ins depend on the postal service for more than just letters. Many receive prescription medicine by mail.

It appears Biden now has a majority on the postal board, so De Joy can be mailed home.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
All 84000 of them will be ex-delta special ops pipehitters too. Judge Dredd audits for anyone above 25k a year income.
On Fox I watched a Biden friendly economic adviser who I've seem several times before, have to talk over Cabuto about how its limited to filers over $400k a year. He added that they are really looking for people way over 400k because that's where most of the cheating and money is. As I said he practically had to over talk Cabuto through most of the interview, but he managed to get the message across.

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
On Fox I watched a Biden friendly economic adviser who I've seem several times before, have to talk over Cabuto about how its limited to filers over $400k a year. He added that they are really looking for people way over 400k because that's where most of the cheating and money is. As I said he practically had to over talk Cabuto through most of the interview, but he managed to get the message across.

It’s obvious to anyone that isn’t disingenuous that you can’t make more money by hiring 70k a year staff to squeeze people over a few hundred bucks of tax evasion.

So I can see why the republicans are against staffing the IRS properly.