Congress Republicans grow, career Democrat Texas Politician switches sides - What took him 24 yrs to change?

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
1-2-2004 Texas Rep. Hall to Switch to Republicans

WASHINGTON - Texas Rep. Ralph Hall switched parties Friday night, filing for re-election as a Republican after nearly a quarter-century as one of the most conservative Democrats in Congress.

Hall, 80, was first elected to the House in 1980.

Before Hall's move, the House had 228 Republicans, 205 Democrats, 1 Democrat-leaning independent and 1 vacancy.

House Speaker Dennis Hastert, R-Ill., said he looked forward to working with Hall in the majority party.

"Ralph is a man of courage and a man of great conviction," Hastert said. "Common sense continues to guide him in Washington and now in the Republican Party."

Fellow Texan Tom DeLay, the House majority leader, called Hall on Friday to welcome him to the party.

"Democrats are reaping what they've sown," DeLay said. "Their leaders have lined up behind Howard Dean (news - web sites)'s brand of angry, intolerant politics. They've made their message clear: 'moderates need not apply' and that's a sad trend for a once-great party."

President Bush also praised Hall.

"I welcome Congressman Ralph Hall to the Republican Party," Bush said. "Ralph is a close friend of the Bush family. He is a well-respected leader of the highest integrity, and a tireless advocate for the people of Texas."
------------------------------------------------------------------
What took him 24 years to realize he was so wrong :confused:

Every Democrat should switch immediately.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by: BaliBabyDoc
So Hall is a man of great conviction and courage . . . but Jeffords was a turncoat?!
Yes. That's called talking out both sides of one's as... err ... face.

But in all fairness, I'm sure the Dems are using both phrases in the opposite order, at least assuming Hall previously voted with the Dems most of the time.

heartsurgeon

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2001
you know what, these johnny come lately republicans all turn out to be trouble later....we don't need em, we don't want em
remember Trent lott was a democrat originally, so was strom thurmond

you can have 'em back

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
So Hall is a man of great conviction and courage . . . but Jeffords was a turncoat?!

Well the difference is that he will be running for office as a republican, not switching parties after being elected. His term for all practical purposes is over, as the texas leg is done for the year.

There is a bit of a difference.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
He probably switched because he's been gerrymandered out of a winning democratic constituency in Texas- If you can't beat 'em, join 'em...

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Well the difference is that he will be running for office as a republican, not switching parties after being elected. His term for all practical purposes is over, as the texas leg is done for the year.
I must have missed the Constitutional amendment that established one year Congressional terms.

He probably switched because he's been gerrymandered out of a winning democratic constituency in Texas- If you can't beat 'em, join 'em...
We have a winner.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
I must have missed the Constitutional amendment that established one year Congressional terms.

No, The texas leg has elections on even numbered years(04 will be next) and meets every 2 years.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Dude, this guy is in Congress not the Texas leg. Furthermore, there's apparently only one principle at work . . . money talks.

"I've always said that if being a Democrat hurt my district I would switch or I would resign," Hall said in an interview with The Associated Press. He said GOP leaders had recently refused to place money for his district in a spending bill and "the only reason I was given was I was a Democrat."

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Dude, this guy is in Congress not the Texas leg. Furthermore, there's apparently only one principle at work . . . money talks.

"I've always said that if being a Democrat hurt my district I would switch or I would resign," Hall said in an interview with The Associated Press. He said GOP leaders had recently refused to place money for his district in a spending bill and "the only reason I was given was I was a Democrat."

My mistake.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
"Democrats are reaping what they've sown," DeLay said. "Their leaders have lined up behind Howard Dean (news - web sites)'s brand of angry, intolerant politics.
LOL, Delay wrote the book on angry intolerant politics :)