Confused wingnut

TechAZ

Golden Member
Sep 8, 2007
We have 11 threads on the front page about Palin, time for 12.

I was going to give Palin the benefit of the doubt when she was announced for VP, but she really didn't do herself any justice in my opinion last night. Maybe I have some hidden sexist feelings that I don't realize, but after seeing her talk I do not see power and leadership in her. I don't see her standing up to foreign threats and dealing with crisis.

I see this as a bad choice for McCain, but really...Romney, Huckabee, Guiliani? They aren't any better IMO. I really don't think McCain is going to kick the bucket in the next 4 years, but a VP really should be able to step in and be confident and give confidence to the public about herself. If the election was Obama Vs Palin, I would vote Obama in a heartbeat. I actually admire the big Obama, but unfortunately for him I admire McCain a hell of a lot more.

I'm not really all that concerned with the issues to be honest. I am confident that both candidates will be just fine in office.

I don't care about abortion, think it's wrong past 1st trimester...but really I don't give a damn.

I don't care about taxes that much, so long as I don't get f'd in the A on my paycheck.

I don't really believe that either candidate's energy policy will go as they plan, and actually agree with Obama's more. Not because I think McCain's is bad, because I think with the environwackos and Congress, it just won't go as planned.

So I guess I'm stuck sitting out this election. I definitely think McCain is more qualified than Obama, but this VP pick doesn't sit right with me. I don't really fault McCain though, I wasn't excited about anyone for VP. I'll just sit back and watch the ugliness of the election go on.

Jschmuck2

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
From everything I've been reading today, I think you're just about the only one.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Palin isn't about winning states, it's about trying to throw a monkey wrench in the Democrat steamroller. Content-wise, it was a pathetic speech, but I'm willing to dismiss it as a rush job and give her another opportunity in the future to redeem herself.

Stoneburner

Diamond Member
May 29, 2003
You hit on an important point: Most LIkely, either McCain or Obama will be an INFINITE improvement over Bush. Bush is just terrible.

However, having Palin a heartbeat away from the presidency is troubling to no end now. She appeared too bushlike and too much hs come out about her. Especially the censorship stuff.

Feb 6, 2007
Originally posted by: TechAZ

I was going to give Palin the benefit of the doubt when she was announced for VP, but she really didn't do herself any justice in my opinion last night. Maybe I have some hidden sexist feelings that I don't realize, but after seeing her talk I do not see power and leadership in her. I don't see her standing up to foreign threats and dealing with crisis.

I see this as a bad choice for McCain, but really...Romney, Huckabee, Guiliani? They aren't any better IMO. I really don't think McCain is going to kick the bucket in the next 4 years, but a VP really should be able to step in and be confident and give confidence to the public about herself. If the election was Obama Vs Palin, I would vote Obama in a heartbeat. I actually admire the big Obama, but unfortunately for him I admire McCain a hell of a lot more.

I'm not really all that concerned with the issues to be honest. I am confident that both candidates will be just fine in office.

I don't care about abortion, think it's wrong past 1st trimester...but really I don't give a damn.

I don't care about taxes that much, so long as I don't get f'd in the A on my paycheck.

I don't really believe that either candidate's energy policy will go as they plan, and actually agree with Obama's more. Not because I think McCain's is bad, because I think with the environwackos and Congress, it just won't go as planned.

So I guess I'm stuck sitting out this election. I definitely think McCain is more qualified than Obama, but this VP pick doesn't sit right with me. I don't really fault McCain though, I wasn't excited about anyone for VP. I'll just sit back and watch the ugliness of the election go on.

Well, I won't tell you how to vote, but why would you sit out this election? You said you admire McCain a great deal, but you're unwilling to vote for him because of Palin; do you expect McCain to die in office (I won't fault you that, many people do)? You mention agreeing more (albeit slightly) with Obama on the issues; what's stopping you from voting for him? Is it because you respect McCain more?

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
I think you will vote.

Something will happen between now and Nov to sway you one way or the other.

cheers

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005

:brokenheart:

It's the issues that should matter to you the most. Obama and McCain are polar opposites on a lot of things. So I think where we end up 4 years from now will be very different depending on who gets elected.

I don't think that abstaining from voting is your best choice here, spend some more time studying their economic, energy, and foreign policy plans, they do matter and will affect you.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
It's unfortunate for McSame that he introduced an unknown into his campaign so late in the game.

Yes, it grabs A LOT of attention. But so far, I can say without hesitation that it has been the wrong kind of attention for his campaign.

As I said in previous threads, and what the latest Rasmussen numbers show, is that Obama's favorable/unfavorable numbers are extremely high.

That means over the last 2 years of campaigning, people have made up their minds one way or another about him. His numbers are so high, he's tied for #1 with Bill Clinton (good company to keep if you're trying to energize the Democratic/Independent base).

Palin, on the other hand, has fairly low favorable/unfavorable numbers. That in itself isn't the deal-breaker (in fact Biden's numbers are even lower than Palin's). What IS the deal-breaker is that she's so new to the political scene, any piece of unfavorable news about her WILL affect people's opinions, since they haven't had time to become entrenched in their opinions about her.

The bottom line is: voters have made up their mind about Obama (one way or another), and they simply have not for Palin. If McSame doesn't start seeing overwhelmingly positive coverage of her in the weeks to come, his gamble will have backfired big time.

TechAZ

Golden Member
Sep 8, 2007
Originally posted by: ayabe

It's the issues that should matter to you the most. Obama and McCain are polar opposites on a lot of things. So I think where we end up 4 years from now will be very different depending on who gets elected.

I don't think that abstaining from voting is your best choice here, spend some more time studying their economic, energy, and foreign policy plans, they do matter and will affect you.

I've become very cynical. I believe that 90% of these promises and policies will never see the light of day. Who I agree with policy-wise and principle-wise becomes a moot point then. That leaves me with who I think is a better leader in times of crisis. McCain wins that hands down IMO, but Obama beats out Palin every time. I'm not saying I think McCain will kick the bucket, but IF something happens Palin becomes the Pres....and although she will have a new VP, Obama does a better job than Palin.

My thought process might not make sense to some people, but everybody has their own way of thinking about things and I cannot shake this.

brandonb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2006
I watched her speech just now. I'm with the OP. My opinion went down. "The other candidate is worried about not reading the terrorists their rights..." With a bunch of boo's from the audience. Where they booing him or her?

One worlds hero is another worlds terrorist. Everybody has rights on this planet. But I guess we can throw rights out the window if you don't agree with the neo-con agenda. When a place if founded on freedom like our country, I find this sickening. Makes me think they'll send the Apaches to take us out with their FLIR and 30mm if we don't do what they want us to do. "You have freedom, as long as you agree with us. The freedom to work, go home, pay your taxes, and STFU. If you don't like it, you lose your rights."

She's just another neocon with a pretty face.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005

I've become very cynical. I believe that 90% of these promises and policies will never see the light of day. Who I agree with policy-wise and principle-wise becomes a moot point then. That leaves me with who I think is a better leader in times of crisis. McCain wins that hands down IMO, but Obama beats out Palin every time. I'm not saying I think McCain will kick the bucket, but IF something happens Palin becomes the Pres....and although she will have a new VP, Obama does a better job than Palin.

My thought process might not make sense to some people, but everybody has their own way of thinking about things and I cannot shake this.

Well I think most of us are that way now. I'm 0-2 voting for POTUS.

I do lose sleep over the fact that there are so many single issue voters in this country, these are the people that gave us W for two terms. They were duped by wedge issues. Here comes Palin, offering pretty much nothing except that she's pro-gun and pro-choice, but that's more than enough for a lot of people.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

I just don't get how you can admire McCain more? He's the idiot that picked the dog catching moose dresser from Alaska. And what if you are wrong and he does die in the next 4 years. The man made an absurd selection in the hope he might win.

AMDZen

Lifer
Apr 15, 2004
Originally posted by: Atomic Playboy

Well, I won't tell you how to vote, but why would you sit out this election? You said you admire McCain a great deal, but you're unwilling to vote for him because of Palin; do you expect McCain to die in office (I won't fault you that, many people do)? You mention agreeing more (albeit slightly) with Obama on the issues; what's stopping you from voting for him? Is it because you respect McCain more?

I actually agree with the OP on nearly everything, and if this question were directed toward me (and I know it wasn't) I would say that Joe Biden scares me in the same way as Palin. With Biden I see him pulling string's like Cheney and getting Obama to do things he might not otherwise do. With Palin its like the OP said. If you haven't yet read the cNet article, google "Joe Biden Pro RIAA" and that article will sum up everything on why Obama pretty much lost my vote. I wasn't aware the Palin was for Creationism in schools and some of the other things I've recently discovered and she is just way to over the top for me. Very Bush-esque. These last 6 years or so have really made me sway away from labeling myself anything, much less a repub.

And because of that I'll be voting Ron Paul and taking a vote away from one of these candidates, not sure which I'd be taking it away from though.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Her speech was good - not a lot of substance (expected), too much 'me' (also expected) and a little too much vitriol to top off the evening (and, boy, what an evening of vitriol it was-lol). Fired up the fundie base - also expected.

I don't mind sarcasm if it is self-deprecating - there were a few times when I thought her 'wit' was contemptuous (and that kinda pissed me off).

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Originally posted by: AMDZen

I actually agree with the OP on nearly everything, and if this question were directed toward me (and I know it wasn't) I would say that Joe Biden scares me in the same way as Palin. With Biden I see him pulling string's like Cheney and getting Obama to do things he might not otherwise do. With Palin its like the OP said. If you haven't yet read the cNet article, google "Joe Biden Pro RIAA" and that article will sum up everything on why Obama pretty much lost my vote. I wasn't aware the Palin was for Creationism in schools and some of the other things I've recently discovered and she is just way to over the top for me. Very Bush-esque. These last 6 years or so have really made me sway away from labeling myself anything, much less a repub.

And because of that I'll be voting Ron Paul and taking a vote away from one of these candidates, not sure which I'd be taking it away from though.

That's just goofy. Come back to reality.

And your aren't 'taking' a vote away - you are 'throwing' it away ...

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
I can't imagine Biden telling Obama what to do like Cheney telling Bush what to do. Obama is his own man.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
I can imagine this slut telling grandpa what to do. What a friggen tool she is. How anyone could vote for the mcsame ticket is beyond me.

Anything for religion I guess.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I?m shocked. Shocked! I tell you, to find another thread full of Dems patting themselves on the back over assaulting the average small town American working class girl. Is there a Republican speech you do like? No? Then hers is no different. She is the enemy to you and that is all that matters.

Obama painted himself as one of the people. That is exactly why Palin is on the ticket.

As for the OP,

after seeing her talk I do not see power and leadership in her
I see this as a bad choice for McCain, but really...Romney, Huckabee, Guiliani? They aren't any better IMO.

You like Obama, McCain, and no one else? That does seem rather odd.

You're right, you weren't willing to accept any of the choices for VP. If you don't like the ticket, then vote against it. Anyone who sits out should be ashamed of themselves. I have harsher words, but this is P&N so I'll keep it soft.

Question: You say you?d support either McCain or Obama. What traits do both McCain and Obama share that Palin does not share? How can you see power and leadership in Obama, a young senator, while completely dismissing a young governor?

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Stoneburner
You hit on an important point: Most LIkely, either McCain or Obama will be an INFINITE improvement over Bush. Bush is just terrible.

However, having Palin a heartbeat away from the presidency is troubling to no end now. She appeared too bushlike and too much hs come out about her. Especially the censorship stuff.

Agreed, it'd be terrible to elect someone whom would become president if the elected president became incapable of fulfilling his term as opposed to someone with less than or similar experience being elected to the presidential position.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
"average small town American working class girl"

Is that a euphemism for unqualified fascist? Thanks I'll tuck that one away for later.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
"average small town American working class girl"

Is that a euphemism for unqualified fascist? Thanks I'll tuck that one away for later.

If governors are unqualified.

winnar111

Banned
Mar 10, 2008
Originally posted by: Dari
I can't imagine Biden telling Obama what to do like Cheney telling Bush what to do. Obama is his own man.

Based on what, exactly? All the times he's voted differently than the rest of his party?

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Originally posted by: Jaskalas
I?m shocked. Shocked! I tell you, to find another thread full of Dems patting themselves on the back over assaulting the average small town American working class girl. Is there a Republican speech you do like? No? Then hers is no different. She is the enemy to you and that is all that matters.

Obama painted himself as one of the people. That is exactly why Palin is on the ticket.

I have no idea what that means. Are you an Angry Republican or just Angry?

Originally posted by: Jaskalas
How can you see power and leadership in Obama, a young senator, while completely dismissing a young governor?

Maybe after the hype and the bullshit of the last 8 years there are 60 million Americans who are not willing to buy into the hype and the bullshit presented by the Republicans on Sarah Palin?

I'm sure she did well in focus groups, though.

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007
Originally posted by: jpeyton
It's unfortunate for McSame that he introduced an unknown into his campaign so late in the game.

Yes, it grabs A LOT of attention. But so far, I can say without hesitation that it has been the wrong kind of attention for his campaign.

As I said in previous threads, and what the latest Rasmussen numbers show, is that Obama's favorable/unfavorable numbers are extremely high.

That means over the last 2 years of campaigning, people have made up their minds one way or another about him. His numbers are so high, he's tied for #1 with Bill Clinton (good company to keep if you're trying to energize the Democratic/Independent base).

Palin, on the other hand, has fairly low favorable/unfavorable numbers. That in itself isn't the deal-breaker (in fact Biden's numbers are even lower than Palin's). What IS the deal-breaker is that she's so new to the political scene, any piece of unfavorable news about her WILL affect people's opinions, since they haven't had time to become entrenched in their opinions about her.

The bottom line is: voters have made up their mind about Obama (one way or another), and they simply have not for Palin. If McSame doesn't start seeing overwhelmingly positive coverage of her in the weeks to come, his gamble will have backfired big time.

Holy crap. This is the first post by you that was thoughtful in a long time. Had you not used "McSame" in it at all people might actually take you seriously and not think you formed your opinion because you're a partisan hack.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: ZeroIQ
Originally posted by: jpeyton

Holy crap. This is the first post by you that was thoughtful in a long time. Had you not used "McSame" in it at all people might actually take you seriously and not think you formed your opinion because you're a partisan hack.

I don't think he can return the 'compliment'.