Confused By Internet Problems

Hertz

Jul 1, 2014
Hi, I am currently on a 12Mb download speed internet connection and I am confused because watching live streams and HD videos on YouTube stops every few seconds to load. It's driving me crazy. I check my network usage through task manager and less than 1% of my bandwidth is being used, still, streams and YouTube videos have trouble loading for some reason. Can somebody please try to explain to me why this is the case? Can't my computer simply use more bandwidth to load the video or the stream faster? What is the point of having 12Mb download if everything is lagging anyways and the computer is only utilizing 1% of the available bandwidth?

Note: This only happens sometimes. I don't know why sometimes the videos/streams load perfectly fine and other times they have trouble loading. There is one other desktop computer connected to my router but it's not used for bandwidth intensive tasks.

More specifically: When I'm watching a video, every few seconds it will stop playing and show a little loading symbol in the middle of the screen. After a few seconds, it will begin playing again. All the while, the bandwidth usage stays below 1%.

Last edited:

Hertz

Jul 1, 2014
Need more details on your equipment and ISP.

Try doing some tests at http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest and see what you get.

You could have some malware hogging up your pipe. Do you have a clean system?

As you would imagine, there is no malware on my computer that I'm aware of. I have both Malwarebytes and AVG and have ran tests recently. I've ran speed tests and I'm getting the 12 MB which I'm supposed to have. What information do you need about my equipment and ISP?

Wabbitzzz

Jun 30, 2014
Are you sure you have a 12MB download?

That's close to 100Mpbs down, which is usually the measure used by speedtests and isp's.

Do you mean 12Mbps?

Last edited:

Hertz

Jul 1, 2014
there was an article about this.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/2...turn-blame-deep-dark-mysteries-internet.shtml

here it is...

its your isp despite anything they say about youtube or netflix

Thank you. Regarding this as a net neutrality issue seems like a large leap though. Is there anything else that could be causing these issues?

I am with CenturyLink and am having OCCASIONAL problems loading YouTube videos and streams from twitch.tv.

Are you sure you have a 12MB download?

That's close to 100Mpbs down, which is usually the measure used by speedtests and isp's.

Do you mean 12Mbps?

Will you explain to me why this matters please?

Last edited:

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
It can be your ISP/Interent connetion.

It can be your Network configuration/hardware

It can be your computer or what ever else is using the Inernet connetion.

Without any technical info beside your verbal complains how would you imagine that One can help to solve technical problem? :confused:

:cool:

Hertz

Jul 1, 2014
It can be your ISP/Interent connetion.

It can be your Network configuration/hardware

It can be your computer or what ever else is using the Inernet connetion.

Without any technical info beside your verbal complains how would you imagine that One can help to solve technical problem? :confused:

:cool:

What information do you need about my equipment and ISP?

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
If your internet connection is consistently testing at the rated speed, and you don't have any wireless interference nearby, and it happens to multiple devices on the network, then either it is an intermittent problem with your internet connection, or the streaming media is being throttled by your ISP.

Hertz

Jul 1, 2014
If your internet connection is consistently testing at the rated speed, and you don't have any wireless interference nearby, and it happens to multiple devices on the network, then either it is an intermittent problem with your internet connection, or the streaming media is being throttled by your ISP.

The only two devices are my phone and my wired pc. Both are having the problem, but I can't really attribute the problem to the network when it comes to my phone. Since the pc is wired, does this mean the problem is not wireless interference? And as far as I know, my internet connection speed is not intermittent. I have tested the speed while I am having these problems and I get the same results as when I'm not having problems.

fastman

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
As you would imagine, there is no malware on my computer that I'm aware of. I have both Malwarebytes and AVG and have ran tests recently. I've ran speed tests and I'm getting the 12 MB which I'm supposed to have. What information do you need about my equipment and ISP?

Equipment as what computer are you running, no need to go into details like my Sig below but system details would benefit those trying to help you!

Hertz

Jul 1, 2014
Go here and run a test and please post the results.

http://www.speedtest.net

3602289851.png

Hey look, turns out I wasn't lying!

Equipment as what computer are you running, no need to go into details like my Sig below but system details would benefit those trying to help you!

How do I post ALL arbitrary information about my equipment without being as detailed as your signature? Everybody in this thread is telling me you need more information but nobody is being specific about what information they need.

Guys, the reason I am posting this thread is because I want to be able to UNDERSTAND what is causing these problems. I see that it could be a net neutrality issue, but I would like to investigate other possibilities please. I appreciate those who have tried to help so far, but please be a little bit more detailed about what you need and why you need it so that I can understand your line of thought! Thank you! So far this thread has been one person after another coming in here, telling me that I haven't given enough "information", and then leaving the thread never to return.

System details:
Motherboard
Power Supply
GFX Card
CPU
RAM
Primary Hard Drive
My router is an ActionTec C1000A.

You guys want me to link my fans, case, dvd burner, drive bays, speakers, mouse, monitor, headphones, ethernet cable, printer, external HDD, desk and chair as well? Or do you not need that information?

e-
Sorry for frustrated reply. I understand that some of you sincerely would like to help and I do appreciate that <3. But read through the thread and pretend you are me and I'm sure you will understand.

Last edited:

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Are you using a wired or wireless connection? Have you tried running speedtest during peak hours? Might it be slowing down only during peak hours? Also a possibility is that your ISP is throttling YouTube.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
We now have a baseline speed.
When you are having issues, then, that is the time to run your next speed test.

Hertz

Jul 1, 2014
We now have a baseline speed.
When you are having issues, then, that is the time to run your next speed test.

Are you using a wired or wireless connection? Have you tried running speedtest during peak hours? Might it be slowing down only during peak hours? Also a possibility is that your ISP is throttling YouTube.

I have run the speedtest while I am having problems. I get similar results. I've never seen below 12, which is what I'm supposed to have.
I'll post results when I do it again though.

Hertz

Jul 1, 2014
I'm experiencing the problem at the moment and these are the speed test results:

3622925604.png

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
More specifically: When I'm watching a video, every few seconds it will stop playing and show a little loading symbol in the middle of the screen. After a few seconds, it will begin playing again. All the while, the bandwidth usage stays below 1%.

Don't feel too bad, that happens even on a 50Mbit FIOS connection.

azazel1024

Jan 6, 2014
I would suspect edge network congestion issues. IE sort of net neutrality. ISP lets their connections to other networks clog up without upgrading their connections. This is what has/is happening with Netflix and the same with Youtube and a couple of others. They want to be paid for the connection upgrades, even though it is the ISP's customers requesting the data and Netflix/Youtub are already paying THEIR service providers to get their data out there.

So it isn't an issue with your connection, it is an issue with your ISP. I have the same issues with Verizon FIOS despite my 75/35 connection. Most everything is awesome fast, except netflix and youtube (a couple of others too).

Hertz

Jul 1, 2014
If that's really what the issue is then why is it intermittent? Sometimes it works perfectly fine, but sometimes, like right now, it stops to load every 2 or 3 seconds. It makes the video unwatchable :(

azazel1024

Jan 6, 2014
If that's really what the issue is then why is it intermittent? Sometimes it works perfectly fine, but sometimes, like right now, it stops to load every 2 or 3 seconds. It makes the video unwatchable :(

Because it depends on just how many other users are currently on Centurylink's network hitting Youtube, or in general, what traffic is going on between Centurylink's network and whomever is providing data transit services for Youtube to Centurylink's network.

Things are not static.

Ben90

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
If the above is what is happening, it is intermittent because it depends on how much bandwidth everyone else in your ISP's network is sucking up.

Also keep in mind when you look at the % Network Utilization in resource monitor, it is going off the connection from you to the router which is probably 1Gb/s. Even if you are using all 14Mb, it's still going to show 1% utilization even though the internet itself is maxed out.