Confused about property tax

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

HombrePequeno

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2001
Originally posted by: herm0016
you should stop paying them and see who really owns your property. your taxes on property are a direct tax to pay for city services.
income tax is the tax that is unconstitutional. the constitution says that all taxes levied must be direct taxes to pay for services to the people,like property taxes, school taxes, water bill, gas tax, etc which are direct and somewhat proportional to your use (bigger house needs more firemen to put it out) and that any tax that is not a direct tax must be distributed equally among the people.

Wrong. Taxation on wages has always been seen as constitutional. The 16th Amendment further clarifies which types of income can be taxed without apportionment (any source of income).

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: 1prophet
Originally posted by: BrownTown
Well I would assume the point is so that a rich person can't simply buy a parcel of land and own it for the rest of recorded history without ever paying another cent for it? Basically no property taxes favors all the old money people which goes against this country whole idea of capitalism and rewarding hard work and innovation (and not just rewarding spoiled kids who were born into the right family).

Unfortunately it's people who live on fixed incomes like senior citizens that are forced out when times are bad even if the house is paid for, not the rich.

i feel anytime a person is taxed out of a propert6y its wrong. when taxes for a avarage house is $4k a year and you have Senior citizens living on 12-15k a year you have a problem.

a person who has paid off the house should NEVER be taxed out of it. hell a person who has lived there 10 years should never be taxed out.

my mortage is $400 a month. my taxes are $330 a month! thats fricken insane.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Who protects your right to own property? If your property is burglarized, what pays for the police? If your house catches fire, what pays for the fire dept? In the US, this is usually property taxes. If another party claims ownership to your property, property taxes paid for the county recorders office that recorded your property deed, and the courts wherein you can defend that claim.
The idea of property taxes based on value is to motivate property owners to use their land for 'highest and best use.' IOW, an owner with a valuable piece of property (like a city lot downtown) won't let it sit vacant or unimproved because of the tax penalty of doing so. Instead, he'll develop the property for its most productive use.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Vic
Who protects your right to own property? If your property is burglarized, what pays for the police? If your house catches fire, what pays for the fire dept? In the US, this is usually property taxes. If another party claims ownership to your property, property taxes paid for the county recorders office that recorded your property deed, and the courts wherein you can defend that claim.
The idea of property taxes based on value is to motivate property owners to use their land for 'highest and best use.' IOW, an owner with a valuable piece of property (like a city lot downtown) won't let it sit vacant or unimproved because of the tax penalty of doing so. Instead, he'll develop the property for its most productive use.

i agree that people should pay. what i have problems with is a couple that lives in a house for 40+ years (before taxes were done) who are in a fixed income etc. being forced to move because they can't afford the tax's.

back when they planned for retirement there is no way they could of planned for a onother 3-6k a year on tax's

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
And because, simply, a guy in a one million dollar house can afford $40k/year in property taxes easier than a guy in a 100k! They will tax you anyway they can :)

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Meh, I didn't say I thought property taxes are fair. I just explained why they exist.

Mavtek3100

Jan 15, 2008
I'd rather have an income tax than a property tax. The idea seems to be in every aspect an abject to liberty. If I have no income I maybe able to live off my land thus I can live and not be subject to taxation. Currently though a person who owns their home out right, who happens to lose their income can lose everything due to lack of paying property taxes. The very notion makes one wonder exactly what property ownership really means. Personally it seems like I'm renting my property from the graciousness of the government. Oh thanks be to the government who makes sure they assume ownership of me and all that I own, from birth to death.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001

..zoning will greatly limit what an owner can or cannot do with property.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Skoorb
And because, simply, a guy in a one million dollar house can afford $40k/year in property taxes easier than a guy in a 100k! They will tax you anyway they can :)

..what about retirees who live in their payed off home but are now on a fixed income?? a threshold should be established where upon property taxes are zero for middleclass or less retired folk.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Mavtek3100
I'd rather have an income tax than a property tax. The idea seems to be in every aspect an abject to liberty. If I have no income I maybe able to live off my land thus I can live and not be subject to taxation. Currently though a person who owns their home out right, who happens to lose their income can lose everything due to lack of paying property taxes. The very notion makes one wonder exactly what property ownership really means. Personally it seems like I'm renting my property from the graciousness of the government. Oh thanks be to the government who makes sure they assume ownership of me and all that I own, from birth to death.

It's been said that taxes are the price you pay for living in a civilized society, and that's exactly the point here. Even if you have no income and "live off your land", that land is still located somewhere and you dramatically benefit from living there as opposed to some undeveloped wilderness in the middle of nowhere. Since you can't pick up your land and start an island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, it's impractical to try to cut yourself off from the community you live in...and since you live there, it's reasonable to ask that you support it. "Liberty" is not a magic word that you can wave over a situation to get your way.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: IGBT

..zoning will greatly limit what an owner can or cannot do with property.

Zoning is only good at dictating what an owner cannot do with his property. How would zoning be enforced with an urban property owner who refused to develop his property to its highest and best use? By taking it from him to give to someone who will?

At least what we have now is a kind of 'pay to play' system. The alternative would be an authoritarian undercutting of basic property rights.

Mavtek3100

Jan 15, 2008
Originally posted by: Rainsford

It's been said that taxes are the price you pay for living in a civilized society, and that's exactly the point here. Even if you have no income and "live off your land", that land is still located somewhere and you dramatically benefit from living there as opposed to some undeveloped wilderness in the middle of nowhere. Since you can't pick up your land and start an island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, it's impractical to try to cut yourself off from the community you live in...and since you live there, it's reasonable to ask that you support it. "Liberty" is not a magic word that you can wave over a situation to get your way.

What is a "civilized society"? Do you mean the civilized society that we live in now that takes away an elderly person's property because of an inability to pay taxes due to loss of income? Are you suggesting this is civilized? Before we even begin to discuss what you believe to be liberty maybe we should get your definition of a "civilized society". Liberty is a magic word indeed, but it has nothing to do with getting your way. As a matter of fact Liberty is freedom from oppression, nothing more nothing less. In order to accomplish this one must go to extraordinary lengths. The 1st thing one must do is recognize that taxation is inherently oppression. Your idea that the community takes precedence over the individual is oppression of the individual and his or her liberty. Logic dictates that indeed the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, but Liberty dictates that the many deserve no more than the few as this is an aversion on the liberty of the few. This is why logic seems to dictate that communal societies can work, but history has proven that societies based in this ideology have failed because of humanity's inherent "free will".

Humans are not created equally, natural law has dictated that some will be better than others while others may still be worse. This is not something most people want to hear, I dare say it's even non-PC. Lastly, please understand it is not I who lives among the community, it is the community who lives amongst me. The community deserves nothing from me as I deserve nothing from them. What I give the community should be decided by my own free will. Whatever services I require from the community I should compensate for said services, nothing more, nothing less. Whatever services the community requires of me I should be compensated in a mutual agreement.

Regardless of the use of "Property Taxes" (which the majority of mine are used on failing public schools) they are clearly an aversion to liberty. Hence I'd prefer a state income tax to a property tax, at least if I have no income I need not worry about losing a paid off home. Oh so do you consider a society where one can lose essentially everything because they can no longer pay a property tax "civilized"? I must say I find it interesting what people consider civilized.

Aug 23, 2000
Originally posted by: conehead433
Originally posted by: IGBT
..never agreed with it either. it's the states way to make shure you never really own the property but are responsible for it.

Your property isn't a sovereign country, is it? You live in a community and benefit from the services it provides, so it seems reasonable to require you to help pay for those services as part of living where you live. Arguments about owning or not owning the land (intentionally) miss the point. Your property isn't an island in the middle of the ocean.

Yes but does that justify them charging you a premium because of the spectacular view?

The spectacular view is selling point of the home, thus making the value of the home more.

Everyone should stop bitching about taxes. You're going to pay it one way or the other. Either by paying property tax, income tax, sales tax. Get rid of one, and the others will go up to compensate.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I dont see the problem with property taxation.

Without property taxation I see the wealthy buying up all the land they want because after the initial cost they own it forever without incurring additional costs. Then leasing that land back to the rest of us at ridiculous rates. Or sitting on the land and not developing it for no cost. Which doesnt help society.

NaughtyGeek

Golden Member
May 3, 2005

Your property isn't a sovereign country, is it? You live in a community and benefit from the services it provides, so it seems reasonable to require you to help pay for those services as part of living where you live. Arguments about owning or not owning the land (intentionally) miss the point. Your property isn't an island in the middle of the ocean.

I want to see your attitude when your 75 years old, living off your retirement income you worked hard for and your spouse has passed away and all the financial planning you did in your earlier years still didn't leave you prepared to pay the taxes on the property you lived in for the last 50 years of your life. I want you to explain then that you should lose your home to pay for "upkeep of the community." I want you to tell me you feel it's fair and morally right that you have to move to some dumpy 1 bedroom apartment in the slums because that's all your fixed retirement income will afford you. When you can walk in those shoes, you can come back in here preaching we all owe some fucking debt to our community. Until then, you aint got a clue.

Those of us still in the workforce very well need to pay for the services our communities provide. Consumption taxes, income taxes, etc... should be made to cover that so when you're no longer of working age you don't have to fear losing the only thing you've really got. Property taxes are most certainly feudalism regardless of what you feel the differences might be.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
the word 'real' in real property refers to the king. real property is king's property. your property tax is your knight's service to the king. the king is now the local government.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Originally posted by: NaughtyGeek

I want to see your attitude when your 75 years old, living off your retirement income you worked hard for and your spouse has passed away and all the financial planning you did in your earlier years still didn't leave you prepared to pay the taxes on the property you lived in for the last 50 years of your life. I want you to explain then that you should lose your home to pay for "upkeep of the community." I want you to tell me you feel it's fair and morally right that you have to move to some dumpy 1 bedroom apartment in the slums because that's all your fixed retirement income will afford you. When you can walk in those shoes, you can come back in here preaching we all owe some fucking debt to our community. Until then, you aint got a clue.

Those of us still in the workforce very well need to pay for the services our communities provide. Consumption taxes, income taxes, etc... should be made to cover that so when you're no longer of working age you don't have to fear losing the only thing you've really got. Property taxes are most certainly feudalism regardless of what you feel the differences might be.

You're either a part of society, or you're not. The diffused economic responsibility is borne by all and benefitted by all. That retiree may not have kids in school, or drive all that much, but they do get benefit of others paying for their livelihood, those others do require those services. It's a distributed cost and a distributed benefit, societal, not feudal.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Originally posted by: ElFenix
the word 'real' in real property refers to the king. real property is king's property. your property tax is your knight's service to the king. the king is now the local government.

Please. The local government doesn't horde the wealth to itself, build massive castles for personal gain, nor do they take indentured servants on *THEIR* property.

The hyperbole is pretty fucking thick in this thread.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Genx87

Without property taxation I see the wealthy buying up all the land they want because after the initial cost they own it forever without incurring additional costs. Then leasing that land back to the rest of us at ridiculous rates. Or sitting on the land and not developing it for no cost. Which doesnt help society.

Bingo.

Originally posted by: ElFenix

Real in this case derives from the Latin for 'actual thing,' meaning property that cannot be moved. While personal property is referred to chattel or 'movable property' (root word for capital).
While the Spanish word for king is 'real,' the Latin word is 'rex.'

People in the US usually own their property in fee simple, not absolute or allodial title.

The old folks losing their home bit is being a tad overplayed here as well. Many states have tax deferrals and even exemptions for low-income senior citizens.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005

This might be an unintended benefit of property tax laws. It does prevent buy and hold and no development - having to pay tax on land gives incentive for the owner to develop it to generate income or wealth.

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001

What is a "civilized society"? Do you mean the civilized society that we live in now that takes away an elderly person's property because of an inability to pay taxes due to loss of income? Are you suggesting this is civilized? Before we even begin to discuss what you believe to be liberty maybe we should get your definition of a "civilized society". Liberty is a magic word indeed, but it has nothing to do with getting your way. As a matter of fact Liberty is freedom from oppression, nothing more nothing less. In order to accomplish this one must go to extraordinary lengths. The 1st thing one must do is recognize that taxation is inherently oppression. Your idea that the community takes precedence over the individual is oppression of the individual and his or her liberty. Logic dictates that indeed the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, but Liberty dictates that the many deserve no more than the few as this is an aversion on the liberty of the few. This is why logic seems to dictate that communal societies can work, but history has proven that societies based in this ideology have failed because of humanity's inherent "free will".

Humans are not created equally, natural law has dictated that some will be better than others while others may still be worse. This is not something most people want to hear, I dare say it's even non-PC. Lastly, please understand it is not I who lives among the community, it is the community who lives amongst me. The community deserves nothing from me as I deserve nothing from them. What I give the community should be decided by my own free will. Whatever services I require from the community I should compensate for said services, nothing more, nothing less. Whatever services the community requires of me I should be compensated in a mutual agreement.

Regardless of the use of "Property Taxes" (which the majority of mine are used on failing public schools) they are clearly an aversion to liberty. Hence I'd prefer a state income tax to a property tax, at least if I have no income I need not worry about losing a paid off home. Oh so do you consider a society where one can lose essentially everything because they can no longer pay a property tax "civilized"? I must say I find it interesting what people consider civilized.

While property taxes might be high in some areas, please list which services you believe you "use" and would gladly pay for and which services are unnecessary.

Mavtek3100

Jan 15, 2008
Originally posted by: BeauJangles

While property taxes might be high in some areas, please list which services you believe you "use" and would gladly pay for and which services are unnecessary.

Relevance?

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: BeauJangles

Yes, Lindahl pricing will save us all!

NaughtyGeek

Golden Member
May 3, 2005
Originally posted by: JS80

This might be an unintended benefit of property tax laws. It does prevent buy and hold and no development - having to pay tax on land gives incentive for the owner to develop it to generate income or wealth.

The best answer to this supposed problem is a homestead exemption which several states have. You owe tax on the property unless you use it as your primary residence. I say triple the tax on all the vacation homes and leave the elderly to die where they lived for most of their lives. Life surely isn't fair but with all the social funding everyone seems so fond of these days, why can't we leave retirees out of the tax pool?

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: NaughtyGeek
Originally posted by: JS80

The best answer to this supposed problem is a homestead exemption which several states have. You owe tax on the property unless you use it as your primary residence. I say triple the tax on all the vacation homes and leave the elderly to die where they lived for most of their lives. Life surely isn't fair but with all the social funding everyone seems so fond of these days, why can't we leave retirees out of the tax pool?

I think the idea of an exemption from property taxes for one's home, for a modest amount (not exempting millionare homes), is an interesting idea to consider.

The whole 'encourage the homeowner to use the land for creating wealth' sounds like a lot of silly right-wing claptrap to me. Why do you need to make your home productive?

There's a societal interest in people being able to have their home for relaxing, not 'creating wealth for the economy'. We need some balance there.

There's a lot to consider, though, from where the taxes will be increased to make up for the reduction, and whether it really is the best policy. Homeowners do owe helping society.

It's not uncommon for there to be unintended consequences to hasty policies, for example, trapping the elderly in large family homes when tax rates are locked in, which serves neither them (who would otherwise prefer a smaller hiome) or the people who need the larger home well.