Question Confused about external antennas

frank1492

Jan 4, 2022
Hello. I need to boost my cellphone (mobile) signal not my wifi . I looked at a large parabolic antenna to be outdoor mounted and thought that might be the answer. But the instructions showed it being plugged into the antenna port on the router and said it would boost the wifi signal. I do not want to do this but simply want to boost the signal coming from the tower so I will have reliable internet without wifi. If this is the case, can the parabolic antenna be used to do this? If so, how does it integrate with my phone to boost the signal from the cell tower? Is there another device involved with a different kind of antenna, assuming the parabolic antenna only be connected to the router to boost wifi for better coverage inside the building? Thanks in advance.

frank1492

Jan 4, 2022
Thanks. Actually I am aware of these actually tried one by another manu. and didn't do much good. I guess I am limited to this type but still wonder if the large parabolic could be coupled to a similar indoor unit. The parabolic is huge and should have much better gain.

frank1492

Jan 4, 2022

Parabolic is directional, so you need to know where the tower is.

If the product you found on the internet asks you to connect to a router, then it's a wrong product.
Thanks again for your excellent help. I found several parabolic antennas from different manufacturers on Amazon. One company was honest enough to stress that there needed to be line-of-sight to the tower for the antenna to work.
Since all I saw were pretty much identical designs, I concluded that that the line-of-sight requirement would apply to all of them. This news effectively ends my interest in these antennas as I have hills blocking my line-of-sight to any towers.
Are you familiar with network devices such as those made by Verizon, that require satellite access? Any idea how these work to boost the mobile signal?