Configuring bind in linux Mint

ArisVer

Golden Member
Mar 6, 2011
Anyone knows how to add DNS servers with bind9 in Mint?

Some pages I visited talk about configuring named.conf which I did, but the service failed to restart.

Also I am trying to find out how you add ipv6 DNS servers and I get nothing useful in search results.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
I'm not technically on Mint, but it should be as simple as:

1. Edit network connections
2. Find your connection, and Edit it.
3. Click the ipv4 or ipv6 settings.
4. Enter your DNS servers in "Additional DNS Servers", comma-separated.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Bind is a little odd, since it runs in a chroot, so any file you configure is actually going to be in /var/named/chroot/var/named and not just /var/named. When anything refers to /etc/named.conf it's actually /var/named/chroot/etc/.

ArisVer

Golden Member
Mar 6, 2011
Fixed. I have mistaken named.conf with named.conf.options. Introduced 2 entries for ipv4 and for ipv6 it has 'any' entries.

AMDisTheBEST

Dec 17, 2015
I'm not technically on Mint, but it should be as simple as:

1. Edit network connections
2. Find your connection, and Edit it.
3. Click the ipv4 or ipv6 settings.
4. Enter your DNS servers in "Additional DNS Servers", comma-separated.

this is like me saying building a nuclear missile is as easy as getting uranium, build a nuclear reactor, build a rocket, build an accurate gps guidance system and all done.

mv2devnull

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2010
Anyone knows how to add DNS servers with bind9 in Mint?
Slightly confusing.

The bind9 IS-A DNS server. What is "add with" in this context? I'd guess relay/cache/forwarding (or whatever it is called),
i.e. Whom does the DNS server call (or direct its clients), if it does not know the answer to questions?

Then there is a followup question: Is the bind9 necessary, or would something "simpler" (such as 'dnsmasq') fulfill the needs?

Note: RHEL version of bind9 does not explicitly have file named.conf.options, but it does support/promote/require splitting the config into multiple files.
Furthermore, the RHEL version does use bind-mount to show named-files in both under / and in chroot. (RHEL-5 did use symlinks, not bind-mounts.)