Conclusion: Daycare sucks (son sick after only 2-1/2 days)

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Thraxen

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
I don't think it's necessarily good for the immune system. My brothers and I at least never went to daycare, sucked on the titty for a while athe beginning, and have well above average immune systems.

Just means you had lots of germs at home ;)

Jan 18, 2001
Originally posted by: KLin
Originally posted by: HomeBrewerDude
Originally posted by: Skoorb
How come?

Because he is so egocentric that he thinks that his way is the only way. There is nothing wrong with sending your kid to daycare. There have been studies that show quality daycare provides advantages that stayhome kids dont' have. What about when kids go to school.... do their parents become less involved in raising them just because they are in class for 8 hours/day? I don't think so. Its ridiculous to claim that the only 'real' way to raise a kid is by staying home with them. I one parent is necessary, then why not two? If kids need so much parent time then how did we ever manage to get out of caves? 150 years ago, kids were used as labor! And if they were too young to work then the parents were too busy with staying alive to spend attend to their newborns all the time.

All he did was state his opinion on how he chooses to raise his children. Is he egocentric only because your view of the use of daycare differs from his?
rolleye.gif

no, he did more than that. between the posts in this thread and in the other similiar thread its pretty clear that he thinks the only way to raise a child appropriately is by keeping them home.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Wait wait... Im being egocentric? Yet others post thigs like this:

"Good for you. My point is that I've CHOSEN to be a parent too. But neither me or my wife wants to give up our jobs, our nice house, our cars or our big screen TV. Why should we?

That seems a tad more egocentric to me than what I have said.

Thraxen

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
The bottom line is that you can find lots of normal kids that went to daycare and lots that did not. So no one can claim that there is only one right way in this case.

Jan 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Homerboy

"Good for you. My point is that I've CHOSEN to be a parent too. But neither me or my wife wants to give up our jobs, our nice house, our cars or our big screen TV. Why should we?

I am saying you're being egocentric not because you are choosing to raise your kids the way you see fit, but because you are arguing that the only way, the best way to raise kids in general, is by keeping them home.

The person you quoted is maybe materialistic, but not egocentric. I believe that person also said in that post, that you can decide for yourself how your kids should be raised.

TekChik

Jan 15, 2003
OK...I'm going to ignore most of what's been posted on this thread already and just tell you my experience.

I am a single mom of an almost-4-yr-old daughter. I've been a single mom since I got pregnant, and my daughter has Cystic Fibrosis, so her health is my #1 priority. I HAD to work to support us, but I couldn't bear to think of dropping a baby into a large daycare setting. What I ended up doing was finding another family that wanted to have a nanny, but couldn't afford the whole cost and sharing the cost of the nanny. This way you get very individualized care (1 nanny to 2 children), both kids are the same age, you get to have them in either your house or the other person's house, the germ-spreading is greatly reduced, and you can afford it (we paid our nanny $400/wk for 2 infants, so it was $200/ea). We remained in this situation until Sarah was almost 2. She was healthier than almost any child I knew, and very happy and well-adjusted. But she seemed a little bored, because she's very social and loves people. So I found a home daycare run by a lady who had been doing daycare for 20 years, had a huge house/backyard and abided by all state laws, etc. That was also a pretty good situation, but when Sarah was 3, she seemed bored again, so I went looking for somewhere that she could learn things, but also a place that would live up to my standards. The best place I found was a local church that had a daycare. The student:teacher ratio was very low, it was affordable ($170/wk), they have 2 snacks a day besides lunch that I pack, and they always let me know right away if anything is going on with her. She loves it and can't wait to go back on Mondays. I know she is learning good morals, etc, there and I am continuously asking her teacher questions about her day (food eaten, naps, time outside playing, behavior, etc) and checking that against what Sarah tells me, now that she's old enough to answer questions like that.

That's just one person's way of doing it, but so far, it seems to have worked nicely. I have a lovely, smart, social daughter. If I could do it any way, I'd be with her all the time, but sometimes we can't have everything.

Good luck!
-TekChik

MoobyTheGoldenCalf

Golden Member
Jul 26, 2001

FOFF! You don't know anything about me, my lifestyle or my family. My son could NOT be in a more loving and caring household. Sorry if yours isn't the same. We have made the right decisions regarding our boy and we are ALL living happy and fullfilling lives. Why should we have to start living like poor people because we started a family?

PS - I apologize for making more money than you.
rolleye.gif

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Originally posted by: MoobyTheGoldenCalf

FOFF! You don't know anything about me, my lifestyle or my family. My son could NOT be in a more loving and caring household. Sorry if yours isn't the same. We have made the right decisions regarding our boy and we are ALL living happy and fullfilling lives. Why should we have to start living like poor people because we started a family?

PS - I apologize for making more money than you.
rolleye.gif

wait wait wait (again)...
who said you make more money than me? Now you are being presumptuous aren't you? That statement is as arrogant and "egocentric" as anything Ive been accused of posting.

I guess Im going to let this arguement drop... its worse than arguing religion it seems. :) EVERYONE is going to get touchy and edgy when discussing the upbringing of their children... and that CERTAINLY is a good thing. I am actually glad to see everyone so emotionally attached to their child rearing. That alone makes me feel better. Sadly I there are a lot of people out there that dont feel as we all do... and I think we can all agree on that point correct?

MoobyTheGoldenCalf

Golden Member
Jul 26, 2001

I guess Im going to let this arguement drop... its worse than arguing religion it seems. :) EVERYONE is going to get touchy and edgy when discussing the upbringing of their children... and that CERTAINLY is a good thing. I am actually glad to see everyone so emotionally attached to their child rearing. That alone makes me feel better. Sadly I there are a lot of people out there that dont feel as we all do... and I think we can all agree on that point correct?

THANK YOU! Yes, we can agree on that. I just really get ticked off when people incinuate that I am a bad parent becuase my son is in daycare. That couldn't be farther from the truth. (Sorry about the money comment too. I was real pissed though ;))

Jan 18, 2001

THANK YOU! Yes, we can agree on that. I just really get ticked off when people incinuate that I am a bad parent becuase my son is in daycare. That couldn't be farther from the truth. (Sorry about the money comment too. I was real pissed though ;))

damn, the fun is over.... back to the dissertation! :(

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000

N/P and I guess I never really meant to come off as saying "you're a bad parent" and I apologize if that was the tone. I guess my point was "for me and my wife" we jsut could never do it. Period.

Anytime you wanna compare W2's I'm game

:D

jemcam

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001
Originally posted by: jemcam
So if I interpret this thread correctly, most people think daycare is good for the child's immune system?

LOL, my son's immune system is not as important to me as having him healthy, polite, and having all the qualities that I value in a person. I don't think they get the attention they need in day care, and my personal experience proves it. I got tired of paying $250 a week to drop my son off, just to pick him up 8 hours later with a full diaper, hungry, with bruises, bite marks, scratches, etc.

It's not worth it, even without the problems I had. Only my wife and I can raise our son like we want, so we made the difficult choice and she quit work to take care of him. I agree with the other poster that said many of our society's ills are caused by letting people who can't get a better job raise our kids until they can be dropped off at school. I wasn't going to risk it, and my son is well-mannered, socially balanced, and intelligent. Oh yeah, he's not sick as much either. He's now 6 y.o. and has not been in day care since just before his first birthday.

I know it's a sensitive subject and I'll probably get flamed, but my opinion is that the only time day care is acceptable is if there is only one responsible or living parent.

Flame away, but you'll never convince me that having more money is worth letting a drop out raise your child during their most formidable years.

I nominate this for stoopid post of the day award. Obvisouly you didn't interpret the thread correctly
rolleye.gif
What a complete moron.....

It's called sarcasm, look it up. I was referring to the first several replies here were saying "Hey, day care is good for kid's immune system" and I thought it was laughable that's all.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Saulbadguy
I worked at a daycare for 3 years. Let me tell you, the first 2 weeks I was there, I was sicker than a dog. Since then (6 years later) I have not been sick at all. It takes some time, especially since he is older.

You probably built up an immunity to anything short of biological weapons by working there so long.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
LOL! OK, but I GUARANTEE my wanker is bigger than yours ;)

Im not going to offer to compare that.... not out of fear I may lose...but it just aint right.

ecopure

May 24, 2001
We put my daughter in daycare when she was 6 months old. When she was 3 she moved up to the next "room" where she got BIT quite often. I was so pissed picking her up one day that I made the general comment to everyone there that I was going to pull her out and hire someone to come to my house. One of the employees came up to me and said she would like that job!? I asked what she took home after taxes ($180) and I matched it. That was a very lucky day.

That was 4 yrs ago. She now takes care of my 7 yr old before and after school and my 3 yr old son all day for $275/week + cleans the house

I think I should put this in Brag + Moan

jemcam

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001
Originally posted by: ecopure
We put my daughter in daycare when she was 6 months old. When she was 3 she moved up to the next "room" where she got BIT quite often. I was so pissed picking her up one day that I made the general comment to everyone there that I was going to pull her out and hire someone to come to my house. One of the employees came up to me and said she would like that job!? I asked what she took home after taxes ($180) and I matched it. That was a very lucky day.

That was 4 yrs ago. She now takes care of my 7 yr old before and after school and my 3 yr old son all day for $275/week + cleans the house

Good for you, that's a great deal!

gwlam12

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2001
why not get a babysitter. no exposure to the germs of other babies. do u have relatives or friends who can watch ur child?

gwlam12

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2001
Originally posted by: ecopure

ahh...the biting stage. my teeth marks are still on my sister :)

badmouse

Platinum Member
Dec 3, 2003
For the original topic, sorry to hear that your son is sick, hope it all works out.

For those who are so intense about the badness of day care, how many of you actually stay home with the kid(s) all day, every day, for years and years? Just curious.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Originally posted by: badmouse
For the original topic, sorry to hear that your son is sick, hope it all works out.

For those who are so intense about the badness of day care, how many of you actually stay home with the kid(s) all day, every day, for years and years? Just curious.

Uh...well my wife stays at home with the kids. She does on occasion (liek she needs to go to doctor etc) send them over the the neighbors etc. But overall she is a stay at home mom/wife and she wouldnt have it any other way.

vec

Golden Member
Oct 12, 1999
I send my daughter to a very nice daycare and I think it has had a positive influence on her. Yes, she was sick a lot at the beginning, but now it's gotten better since her immune system has become stronger. Our pediatrician also mentioned this fact. She also enjoys the

My mom stayed at home to take care of me, and I remember days and days of boredom. I love my mom, but she just did not provide any interesting activities for me because she was tired most of the time (I am the youngest of 6 kids). I think I would've been better off at a daycare to play with other children and have fun with activities.

DT4K

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2002
Anyone who claims that putting their 6 month old infant in daycare 8 hours a day is "good for them" is simply trying to justify their own selfishness.
Anyone who tries to claim that they "had no choice" when there are two parents, is simply trying to justify their own selfishness.

Children should be raised by their parents if at all possible. Young children should not be spending the majority of their time being taught by strangers. It simply cannot compare to having a parent there.

EDIT: I should note that there are varying degrees here. Sending a 3 year old to preschool a couple of times a week is a lot different than sending a 6 month old to daycare 5 days a week, 8 hours a day.

DT4K

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2002
Originally posted by: vec
I send my daughter to a very nice daycare and I think it has had a positive influence on her. Yes, she was sick a lot at the beginning, but now it's gotten better since her immune system has become stronger. Our pediatrician also mentioned this fact. She also enjoys the

My mom stayed at home to take care of me, and I remember days and days of boredom. I love my mom, but she just did not provide any interesting activities for me because she was tired most of the time (I am the youngest of 6 kids). I think I would've been better off at a daycare to play with other children and have fun with activities.

How far back do you remember?
Didn't you start school at 5?

RKS

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
We sure are lucky as far as daycare.

My wife works a varying schedule of 3 12s per week so our 5 month old is sent to one of his grandmothers along with our Lab.

The boy is learing German, English or Hindi everyday!

My wife is planning on 'retiring' as soon as I can get my practice up and running but will probably go back to work when we can send the kids to school all day.