Conclusion: Daycare sucks (son sick after only 2-1/2 days)

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: Shanti
Anyone who claims that putting their 6 month old infant in daycare 8 hours a day is "good for them" is simply trying to justify their own selfishness.
Anyone who tries to claim that they "had no choice" when there are two parents, is simply trying to justify their own selfishness.

Children should be raised by their parents if at all possible. Young children should not be spending the majority of their time being taught by strangers. It simply cannot compare to having a parent there.

EDIT: I should note that there are varying degrees here. Sending a 3 year old to preschool a couple of times a week is a lot different than sending a 6 month old to daycare 5 days a week, 8 hours a day.

I bet the kid will appreciate having a BMW when he first starts driving more than he'd ever have appreciated you staying home with him....

SilverThief

Diamond Member
May 20, 2000
My 2 year old daughter has been constantly sick since we enrolled her in daycare back in September.

styrafoam

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2002
My wife worked for a national daycare chain early in our marriage as a part time job. She took it for the usual reasons most females would like to work there, hold the babys, play with toddlers, etc. She couldn't take it for more than a month because after seeing all manners of neglect that the children(mostly infants and toddlers, the older ones seemed to get along ok) were put through. Thinking about how she would feel if her own child were put in the same situations brought her to tears so she quit. One of the largest reasons we work opposite schedules to this day is because of her experiences there.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
There is nothing wrong with sending your kid to daycare.

It can be OK. Kids are very resilient, but caring for your own kid is preferable, just like breast feeding is preferable to formula. Sure, the kid will survive either way, but which is best?

There have been studies that show quality daycare provides advantages that stayhome kids dont' have.

There have been studies that show that wearing seatbelts can sometimes be fatal, too.

What about when kids go to school.... do their parents become less involved in raising them just because they are in class for 8 hours/day? I don't think so.

Notice kids are NOT supposed to be sent to school till a certain age? Yet, the first five years of life are the most important years in a child's development! This is exactly when they benefit most from one on one teaching.

Its ridiculous to claim that the only 'real' way to raise a kid is by staying home with them. I one parent is necessary, then why not two? If kids need so much parent time then how did we ever manage to get out of caves? 150 years ago, kids were used as labor! And if they were too young to work then the parents were too busy with staying alive to spend attend to their newborns all the time.

It's not a matter of being the only way, but the best way. There's no argument about which is best. It all boils down to priorities...

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
In addition to my regular dayshift job,I provide childcare for 2 kids ages 9 and 3,My hours vary but usually average out to 40 hours a week,including 3-11 and 11-7 shifts I Provide a fair amount of tutoring for the 9 yr old.The 3 yr old has asthma and frequently is ill enough to require in homes nebulizer treatments and assessment.

My pay? $400 a month,do the math and tell me if I'm overpaid.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Anyone who claims that putting their 6 month old infant in daycare 8 hours a day is "good for them" is simply trying to justify their own selfishness.
Anyone who tries to claim that they "had no choice" when there are two parents, is simply trying to justify their own selfishness.

Children should be raised by their parents if at all possible. Young children should not be spending the majority of their time being taught by strangers. It simply cannot compare to having a parent there.

EDIT: I should note that there are varying degrees here. Sending a 3 year old to preschool a couple of times a week is a lot different than sending a 6 month old to daycare 5 days a week, 8 hours a day.

There's that holier than thou attitude again. I'm right and you're wrong. I know what's best for you. Why don't you run for office?
rolleye.gif

Asshat.

Jan 18, 2001

you really don't think you have all the answers do you?

Jan 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Ornery
There is nothing wrong with sending your kid to daycare.

It can be OK. Kids are very resilient, but caring for your own kid is preferable, just like breast feeding is preferable to formula. Sure, the kid will survive either way, but which is best?

There have been studies that show quality daycare provides advantages that stayhome kids dont' have.

There have been studies that show that wearing seatbelts can sometimes be fatal, too.

What about when kids go to school.... do their parents become less involved in raising them just because they are in class for 8 hours/day? I don't think so.

Notice kids are NOT supposed to be sent to school till a certain age? Yet, the first five years of life are the most important years in a child's development! This is exactly when they benefit most from one on one teaching.

Its ridiculous to claim that the only 'real' way to raise a kid is by staying home with them. I one parent is necessary, then why not two? If kids need so much parent time then how did we ever manage to get out of caves? 150 years ago, kids were used as labor! And if they were too young to work then the parents were too busy with staying alive to spend attend to their newborns all the time.

It's not a matter of being the only way, but the best way. There's no argument about which is best. It all boils down to priorities...

But the point is, that there is no single BEST. How do you define the 'best outcome'? When do you define it? Why is the traditional stay home mom better? If it works for you, great. But don't get all judgemental about it.

Wingznut

Elite Member
Dec 28, 1999
Sorry... But you'll never convince me that there is anyone else more qualified to care for my kids than my wife or myself. Period.

(Keep in mind that I had my first kid in daycare for a few years. And I told myself the same things that many here are saying. But now I realize they simply aren't true.)

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
But the point is, that there is no single BEST. How do you define the 'best outcome'? When do you define it? Why is the traditional stay home mom better? If it works for you, great. But don't get all judgemental about it.

Face the facts. Nobody is going to have more interest in a child's welfare than his parent. That's all there is to it. Is a stranger going to take as much care of your child as you or your wife? Again, this is all just a matter of priorities.