Conan Exiles

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
any good? i'm kinda bored to death with these games in general now
How+to+ruin+a+game+in+02+seconds+you+see_2cbc92_6165695.jpg

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
If more companies would finish their games or have them closer to finish when they open them to Early Access, I think more people would still have faith in them. At the moment, damn near every single survival game on Steam is still in early access and has been for years.

Aristotelian

Golden Member
Jan 30, 2010
I haven't played since the official servers went down; in my long gaming experience I have never had a good private server feeling (I knew some server admins that accepted paypal bribes to spawn weapons for people etc...you get the idea).

Unfortunately when I played it was a laggy unstable mess, and I'm hoping their new provider won't randomly kick me to desktop (happened twice and I died both times). The game has a lot of potential but it's very raw and imbalanced so far - still, I like the concept.

On an AT game - I am in the EU so I play on an EU pvp blitz official server, in a German speaking clan - dunno if anyone here would be interested in that.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Pick this up this weekend.

It is a lot like Ark, minus the crazy dinosaurs and massive amounts of early deaths. The pace feels slower too with a bit less to do except building stuff early on. Part of the reason I liked Ark, was the dinosaur taming was a major part in conjunction with the base building. Here it feels like mostly base building at the moment. Thralls.. aka slaves, aren't worth trying to get early on as you really don't have the resources to make them do anything you couldn't do yourself really.

On top of that, some resources are retardedly hard to get. Specifically bark as an example. Damn drop rate is as a secondary drop off tree's with the pickaxe only. Even with better pickaxes you only ever get 1 out of a successful attempt. Considering every high end item requires bark as a base component at some point, it's a MASSIVE bottle neck for building shit.

Also, the recipes and crafting timers all seem a bit more worse than Ark. Most things are a 4 to 1 ratio or worse, compared to Ark where most things are a 2 to 1 ratio. Meaning it takes a lot more base resources to make shit. Some of the quantity amounts are just absurd too even for low level crafting items. Then again, the starting areas are relatively peaceful as compared to Ark, so harvesting is sort of "safe" but unlike Ark, you can't tame dinos to make harvesting easier either. To me the game was much easier than Ark or Rust in the beginning. I didn't even die once, nor anyone else. Many things are argo, but many things aren't. You also have good line of sight to everything for the most part so you can easily see things to avoid them. Also almost nothing but crocs chase you into the water so if you are getting chased by anything but a croc you can run into the water and they will break off.

I also am paying for a sever, and the servers out there are flaky as hell because the game code is flaky. The game keeps corrupting DB files which drops the server offline. PITA is what it is right now.

Can definitely tell the game is in a very early state right now. Bug galore, lots of crashes on both the client and the server, balance issues abound, and just really lacking much in the way of content. Also the base map is really small in comparison to Ark as well. The game isn't completely bad, just very rough right now.

Last edited:

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
I'm still playing. I put a ton of hours into the game over the weekend. I run my own server and so far have had none of the issues other claim to have with performance or server stability. The few players I have talked to have said my server runs smooth for them. Game plays so well on my PC too. No lag, no stutter, no rubber-banding. I run it on Ultra settings, 4K and it runs great.

The game is so much like Ark but IMO better. As much as I liked Ark, I never liked the dinos but the game itself was really good so I played it and clocked in quite a few hours. Conan is so much more up my alley. This game has so much potential. But it does have a long way to go. I haven't discovered anything game breaking so far but lots of bug with crafting for sure. Sometimes when I'm crafting say an iron sword I place the material amounts that I need for one sword into the crafting station and it duplicates itself from one to 7 swords but when the one finishes crafting it will then place all 7 swords into the finished box but only one of the seven are actually tangible. Another one that killed me was when I built my entire base, had several thralls and then I created a clan. As soon as I walked out of my base all of my thralls attacked me. After dealing with them (killing them) I found that I could not build onto my base or anywhere near my base. I had lost all of my rights. I could destroy objects, access chests and doors but nothing else. I found that if I reboot my server it set permissions properly but I wish I hadn't killed three T2 archers! What a waste! There are plenty of balance issues too and there are exploits for gaining entry into others bases. To avoid this I am running my server as a PVE server with unraidable bases. This solved that issue and now I can enjoy the game. Eventually I may turn my server into a PVP server but tbh there are plenty of NPC's and creatures to combat so PVE is working well and the people playing on my server are already teaming up to help each other.

The grind is pretty steep on vanilla servers too so mine has 5x gather rates and slight increase to EXP gain. This makes the game pace better and provides a more fun experience.

All of that said I really REALLY like this game. Combat is clunk at this point but still fun and hit detection seems pretty good. I like the shields block 100% of arrows and takes no dmg from arrows. Makes getting to archers much easier.

Anyways I'm rambling....the game is good. runs awesome for me and my server performs very well. Game needs work but it did just release. Devs are releasing patches quickly allowing the game to get better and better.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
I had some of the same crafting issues. What's worse is when it makes fake "duplicates" it jams up the crafting queue completely. Meaning you can't make anything until you log out.

If you are using you own computer to host a game, that isn't the issue people are experiencing. The patch yesterday introduced a big dedicated server bug that has screwed almost all dedicated servers at this point. Actually it was very recently they did the same thing to the official servers and those were down for awhile.

As for gameplay, archers are easy to deal by sidestepping the shot as they come in if you don't have a shield. I am also not certain, but I think different damage types affect creatures disproportionally. I know for example if I use a bow on a spider I can basically 1 or 2 shot them right now most of the time. If I shoot a croc it takes like 20 shots. If I use a spear on a croc I can take it down in about 4 hits. If I use spear on a spider it takes like 5 hits. So not sure what is going on with damage application. However, I do like how they have handled archery and trajectory at least. They didn't turn bows in this game into hitscan sniper riles as I've seen in other games. Although I think the current default crafting requirements are absolutely absurd for arrows. Because of that, they really aren't worth using at the moment.

As I said before, the biggest problem bottleneck in this game is bark. It's a base component required for most high level crafting items. It's nuts right now.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Been playing around some more. Figured out a couple of things. Thralls take FOREVER to break above level 1. There seems to be a certain hierarchy to Thrall break times too. From my limited experimentation it goes like this from fastest to slowest in order

Fighter
Archer
Base Crafter (tanner, smelter, cook)
Specific Crafter (Armorer, Smith, Weapons)
Priest
Taskmaster
Dancer

Don't know why dancers take the longest to break, but it seems to be so. On top of that the order goes 1 >2 >3 >4 (otherwise "named" npcs you can make into Thralls)

Dancers are also still bugged. DO NOT PICK THEM UP after you drop them once. You can't put re-position them as they turn into a pink block labeled "Bad Entry" and are completely borked from that point on. Also Priests tend to be PITA to place at all. You either get lucky and can place one at their respective shrine or you get unlucky and can't place it at all.

Another thing to remember, if you are bringing a bound potential thrall into an area that you have thralls guarding those thralls WILL attack what you have on the rope. So make sure you don't put guards near your wheel of pain. They'll kill whatever you are dragging over to it before you get a chance to place them on the wheel.

Another thing that is like Ark, if you try to adjust the crafting rates, it only affects new items you attempt to craft. Anything in a crafting queue will be unaffected. I did this in single player to test. Default thrall crafting time for a level 1 fighter is like an hour to make/break. If you change the craft speed after you put it on the wheel of pain it won't change the time. If you want thralls or anything to craft faster you have to change the crafting speed before hand.

Few other things I learned. Most stuff can't circle strafe for shit so if you can get behind your target you can literally run circles around many monsters and they can't hit back. Many monsters, like hyenas and spiders, are afraid of fire. Keeping a torch out lowers their agro radius. Get close enough and they still attack, but you can move a bit safer around the map with a torch out even in daylight.

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
I pick up my dancers all the time. Never an issue. I lost a named dancer yesterday. I found him way up north at a shrine was dragging him way down south to my base and 3/4 the way home he vanished. There must be a timer to how long you can rope someone. That was my first named thrall to be. Oh well. I'm not building my new home up north. Much higher level stuff up there. I reached L34 last night. Been building more than leveling. Up north there are a lot of those deer or whatever they are. I have found that they provide the biggest EXP boost when killed. So I am just running around slaughtering all of them and leveling up now.

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
Funcom released the full modding tools when the game released so it is just a matter of time before the workshop is going full steam...no pun intended.

Oh according to your link they just released the modding tools. Funcom originally stated before release that were were being released (the tools) at game release. Well good news I suppose. I could use some admin tools for sure.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
So they are going to rely on players to fix the issues and add content. Sounds very familiar... like every other early access survival game on the market.

Feb 4, 2009
So they are going to rely on players to fix the issues and add content. Sounds very familiar... like every other early access survival game on the market.

Honestly I'm alright with that. Modders can be very creative people. Mods can add a longer play life to any game.

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
I highly doubt that. But games like these beg for modding tools and if they are not provided...people will complain.

Ark has a great modding community....not a single mod needed to play the base game. There will always be people that want to make their own changes or improve something in the game. I say more power to them. There are some really great modders out there.

Funcom on the other hand has being doing a fine job so far and I do not see them giving up on making this game great.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I like the Conan world but not sure I want to play a survival game. they always turn into free for alls or like 1 clan or guild runs the entire server and just wipes out everyone.

Feb 4, 2009
I may pick it up this week, AT Guys who own it is it still fun? I realize early access means some stuff doesn't work.