Computers don't recognize eachother, crossover networked... HELP

ManuTOmanU

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2000
I followed this guide, and tried to get my network to work, it worked before, but I had to install IPX and NetBEUI, to get it to work, this guide said I wouldn't need those, so I deleted them...

Now I cannot get it to work, and before it was slow (took 30sec to connect to the other computer), but it worked...

Do I need those two appz IPX or NetBEUI???

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
TCP/IP, NetBEUI, and IPX, are network protocols. Each one can work by it self, and they can work all together.

IPX is needed for old Games. TCP/IP is needed for the Internet. NetBEUI, just a simple non routable protocol.

Your system worked before since NetBEUI is very simple to set, so it worked using NetBEUI.

You probably have some TCP/IP?s incorrect setting, so when you delete NetBEUI the network stop working.

You can install back NetBEUI. But you better off finding the incorrect setting in TCP/IP.

WebHead

May 10, 2000
You have no connectivity because you have deleted the protocols. If you are using these machines for simple home use and are have no need for routing, use NetBeui, this is the simplest protocol to use and setup. However, I would recommend using TCP/IP, this is the better choice, but you must ensure that it is setup properly.

ManuTOmanU

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2000
I am sorry for my terrible late reply, but things turned out a little different, had a great party, were playing Hendrix in the morning at my friends place, no volume restriction, full power and then when the sun rose, all the way hairs, wow... after that we watched the wall by Pink Floyd, what a classicer,,, am still going crazy, even without any nap for 53 hours, but excuse my need to sleep... those sentences must be totally wrong, but hope you get the general idea,,, anyhow, am back on the network in maybe 8 or 9 hours,,,

This was awesome...

ManuTOmanU

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2000
Now time for the computer...

Ok I am starting to fool around... I will keep you up... Thank you...

Sounds like I gotta find a way to get the TCP/IP protocol working... Now here is what I just wanted to try, to have the 2 computers file and internet sharing, I know that this is the ugliest way to do, but who cares, so if it works fine, if it doesn't ...:|lol that is how you frustrate yourself

sorry, now the newbe questions;

First wo I need to enter anything in the dialog box (properties of TCP/IP) where it says DNS-Server (I have a German version installed, but I bet the Japanese would say the same)

And anything in the extendet dialog???

IP-Setings
DNS
WINS
Options

Plus here:

I set the IP address to 10.0.0.1 (server that computer where the connection exists) and its client to 10.0.0.2
the subnetmask to 255.255.255.0 the same on both computers right??

Daniel

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Can the computers ping themselves, or each other, are they in the same workgroup, and unless I missed it what opperating systems are you using?
Try at a command prompt to type:
ping 10.0.0.1 on the server computer, if you get a response try ping 10.0.0.2, if you get a response on that we can try working from there.

ManuTOmanU

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2000
I am using W2k on both computers, and tried it pinging the way you discribed, and the result is

Packets: sent = 4
recieved = 4
lost = 0%
but the time in milliseconds is 0 ms???

this counts for both IPs.

So I don't know...

I did that on both computers with the same result, so I guess it doesn't ping???

Woodie

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2001
Ping was successful. :)
"0 packets lost" is the key line there.

So, you have TCP/IP connectivity between the devices, meaning of course that both NICs are OK, the cable is OK, and the TCP/IP stack is working.

Now you have to get the rest of IP configured (DNS) and a client configured (MS File & Print sharing).

--Woodie

ManuTOmanU

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2000
Sorry, but I have no Idea, is that what I set the DNS server to?

134.153.2.90 (basse.ucs.mun.ca)
- primary DNS server
134.153.2.23 (random.ucs.mun.ca)
- secondary DNS server

And what else???

Is that only for the server or for both the client and the server...???

Woodie

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2001
Let's back up just a step:

In one of your posts, you mentioned internet sharing. How are you planning to do that? (Directly impacts the DNS answer)

DNS settings will be the same on server/client.

Client/server software: (for file sharing)
Can you browse the other computer? (network neighborhood) Can you see actually access the files on the other computer? From a prompt:
net view \\ipaddress_of_client
net view \\ipaddress_of_server
What do you see?

--Woodie

ManuTOmanU

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2000
Yep I can see all drives I allowed to be accessed over the network...

Ok that seems to work...

now I was planing on using this w2k software, ICS...

Don't know exactly... but shouldn't this work, or is there anything else that you can buy below $100??

That is the most I would wanna spent... or I could get a router... but I was hoping to get that done without any extra money,...

ManuTOmanU

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2000
Ok I can access the client from the server if I go through network neighborhood, but on the other computer, I can only access the server trough something called entire Network/ms win Network/workgroup...

Is this normal???

and that takes forever to access??? what is wrong... Thanks so far...

ManuTOmanU

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2000
Now what I did, is shortcuts of the drives under network neighborhood, I am guessing since I am useing the German version, but the one that is on the desktop if you don't get rid of it...

That way it works, fairly quick...

Woodie

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2001
Ok, it sounds as if your file/print sharing is working ok. One down, one to go.

I don't know squat about ICS. This is the part where you have to have TCP/IP working correctly between the two machines, and where your DNS needs to be set up correctly.

Search around here for ICS--it's come up before.

--Woodie