Question Computer won't POST

doncho

Jul 28, 2022
Existing computer, has been working for several years. I've been having trouble with it powering off while playing video games. Now it won't POST.

AMD FX 8320
Gigabyte GA-78LMT USB3
4 x DDR3 8GB 1600 RAM
600w Thermaltake PSU
Asus GTX 1060

When the computer was still running, I ran Pprime95 and it failed the stress test in minutes.

Windows Memory Diagnostic found errors.

I ran memtest86, it quickly found errors and then in the middle of the test the computer powered off and now will not POST.

I have swapped out each of the 4 memory sticks one at a time, no beep codes, no post.

I have cleared the CMOS, no post.

I have swapped out the graphics card for onboard graphics, no post.

I have reseated the CPU, removed the old dry, crusty thermal paste and applied new thermal paste, no post.

CPU temperatures were running high when the computer was running.

The fans spin up, the hard drive light comes on, but nothing else happens.

CPU dead? Motherboard dead? Power supply borked?

There is no light on the motherboard that I can see to indicate power.

Thoughts?

OlyAR15

Oct 23, 2014
If the fans and drives spin up, the PSU can't be completely borked. I guess it's possible that it cannot power the full PC though, but my guess is that it's something else.

Reactions: doncho

doncho

Jul 28, 2022
hmm, so possibly borked PSU huh?

Is newegg.com still the place to shop for computer components, or is there some new hotness that I don't know about? I haven't been in the pc building game for a long time.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Pop open the PSU. I bet you have burst capacitor(s).

I got tired of 'egg and now mostly buy from amazon, especially if they have a warehouse special.

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
hmm, so possibly borked PSU huh?

Is newegg.com still the place to shop for computer components, or is there some new hotness that I don't know about? I haven't been in the pc building game for a long time.
I shop around mainly between Newegg, Amazon, B&H, Best Buy, and Walmart. I avoid third party sellers on all the sites unless it's the actual manufacturer. If you're lucky enough to live near a microcenter, that's another option.

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
If the fans and drives spin up, the PSU can't be completely borked. I guess it's possible that it cannot power the full PC though, but my guess is that it's something else.
I just replaced a system because of a faulty PSU - powered up briefly then shut off. Replaced everything but PSU and storage, but same thing happened. Plugged a different PSU in and it worked (should've done first). I was only 6 years in on a 12 year warranty.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022

I've got one of these because I had a PSU show up that was DOA prior to even installing it. I went to Fry's and picked up a temp PSU and the tester to confirm before deploying the new PSU and confirmed it was dead prior to breaking the seal.

Amazon is great for stuff like this though because you can get it, test it, and return it w/o dealing with any fees. There might be only one part of the PSU that's not working causing the entire system to fail POST. While you're on Amazon though pick up a PSU is you're in doubt of your current one so you can swap it out if it is indeed dead.

EVGA is all I use now and they're built like a tank and come with a 10yr warranty. I've used 2 of them so far and no issues at all. You should probably be able to score a 600W for ~$60
https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Supernova-Modular-Warranty-220-GA-0650-X1/dp/B07WW1XK45

OlyAR15

Oct 23, 2014
New EVGA power supply plugged in and still no POST. what next?
Maybe examine the motherboard to see if any components look damaged/burnt. If you have a spare CPU you can swap for it, but IMO the best thing to do is just get a new computer.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
"New computer"? I suppose that depends on what "computer"means, since it has a (probably) viable new PSU, case, and presumably video card since it still wouldn't post when the video card was removed. I mean the ideal is replace the least # of things possible if shotgunning while a whole new computer is the most possible things, but on the other hand, I can see the argument that being parts a decade old (besides the video card), how much is it worth to keep them running. Could depend on how much a performance upgrade is worth, also factoring that older off-lease/refurb systems from OEMs, aren't very expensive and could be a source for mobo, CPU, even "some" memory even if you want to use the new PSU, video card and case already owned.

Regardless!

I'd clear CMOS again, check the battery voltage, then (again with the new PSU) strip down to bare essentials, mobo, CPU, one memory module IN THE CORRECT SLOT (if this is needed, see mobo manual, and try a different single memory module in that slot).

Try it a few times. Power on, power off. IIRC, that board has a dual bios and after a few attempts, may recover the bios itself. When I write "IIRC", I literally have a system running that board, and very vaguely recall there was one instance where for no reason I could find, when it wouldn't post and after trying a few times I saw a bios recovery message on the monitor and it fixed itself. IIRC, at the time I went ahead and put a new battery in just in case that was the cause. It hasn't done it again, is a system used fairly frequently including powering on to POST as it is not a 24/7 running system like a few others.

If it doesn't work doing the above, with any of the memory modules alone then odds are that the mobo failed. If it's worth replacing, then we get into can you find the same board, at what cost, or a compatible one and what is your time worth to reconfigure windows for it. LOTS of variables about what is the better thing to do, highly subjective.

doncho

Jul 28, 2022
I purchased an inexpensive Athlon FX 8320 and swapped it in for the old one. The computer still doesn't post. I guess this means the mobo is dead? Should I replace with the same model, or look for something else in the same chipset?

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
@doncho

This is where you have to figure out if it's worth putting money into an ancient system just to revive it or throw in the towel and salvage parts from it to make something a little more recent. If you swap the MOBO and it's still not working you're just throwing away money.

DDR3 is a dinosaur at this point with DDR5 being the current option and DDR4 has been around for awhile now as well.

AMD FX 8320
Gigabyte GA-78LMT USB3
4 x DDR3 8GB 1600 RAM
600w Thermaltake PSU
Asus GTX 1060
Keep the PSU / GPU and swap everything else. Looks like the CPU runs about $150 and if it's not dead as well you could recoup that by selling it for cash to put towards the new setup. The boost you would get from DDR4 / AM4 should make it feel a bit snappier and hold you over for another 5 years.

The other option would be waiting a couple of months for AM5 to get released but, that might be an expensive proposition or bring down AM4 inventory pricing even further.

doncho

Jul 28, 2022
Thank you for chiming in @Tech Junky. I just ordered a used replacement board of the same model for $50, we'll see what happens. If the new mobo doesn't work, I'll bite the bullet and build a new budget pc.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Yeah, $50 isn't too bad but it adds up quickly as you try different parts to fix the issue. Hopefully the new Mobo does it and it's not the CPU itself as that's another $150.

doncho

Jul 28, 2022
More of a pebcak than id10t. The real question would be how did the input and output get swapped? Or in this case didn't get swapped.

I'm not sure what happened there. I guess in all of my swapping out components I didn't think to check if the monitor was set to DVI input.

doncho

Jul 28, 2022
So it wasn't the PSU or the CPU or the mobo??? How much did you spend in total?

I suspect that the PSU and CPU were fine. I'm not entirely sure about the mobo. I do know for sure that one of the memory sticks as bad. I'd swap parts around again to find out what else is fine, but I"m exhausted at this point, lol.

$50 PSU, $45 CPU, $50 Mobo, $20 ram.

doncho

Jul 28, 2022
Maybe multiple problems if he was getting memory errors before it failed. Hard to tell unless he swaps the old parts back in to see if anything fails.

There was definitely an issue with one of the ram sticks, as I was getting memory errors. I'm also curious as why the case speaker no longer works...a working speaker would have helped. Maybe I was getting peep codes all along.