Computer won't post

rob1234

Oct 27, 2005
I usually leave my computer on 24/7. Last night though I shut it off. When I went to turn it on this morning it wouldn't even POST. It looked like the power was fluctuating or something because the power LED on my case was flashing randomly and so was my mouse sensor.

I have an ASUS A8N-SLI deluxe which has caused me nothing but trouble since I got it almost 2 years ago. Mostly it won't recognize SATA hard drives. Anyway, I figure it's either the power supply or motherboard.

I have an OCZ 520w modstream power supply which I've been using for two years. I also have an old thermaltake 480w powersupply but it only has a 20pin connector for the mb and the asus takes a 24 pin. Anyway, I connected the thermaltake using just the 20pins and a sata harddrive leaving everything else unpowered and the same thing happened with the flashing LED and no POST.

So, I figure it's the motherboard and I'm happy to go buy a different one tomorrow cause I'm sick of all the problems with the Asus one. I just wanted to see if anyone else had any opinions before I go out and spend money.

dfuze

Lifer
Feb 15, 2006
If you are looking for it to power up with the backup power supply, you would need the other four pins for it to work. So I don't think it's necessarily the motherboard in that case. I have the same board, and it's been good to me (crosses fingers). I don't use SATA so I can't comment on that, but I read the reviews and replaced the chipset fan before I even installed it with a heatsink. If you still have the old chipset fan, could it be failing on you?

rob1234

Oct 27, 2005
I replaced the fan and heatsink a few months ago. I figured the 20 pins wouldn't work but it also did the weird power fluctuating thing with that power supply.

Also, I tried changing the outlet it was plugged into.

I'm going to try disconnecting everything that's not necessary and see what happens.

rob1234

Oct 27, 2005
Well it looks like it is the power supply. I picked up a MSI k8n neo4-f today and spent 3 hours putting it in and it wouldn't post either. I tried the 20 pin thermaltake power supply and it did post. I only went into the bios for a sec and shut it down but I assume this means the OCZ is broke if the thermaltake will post and the OCZ won't.

I'll pick up a new power supply tomorrow and return the new motherboard I guess.