Question Computer won't boot

sswingle

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
So I have a system a few months old that started refusing to boot.
MSI B460M Pro-VHD
MSI Geforce 2060 SUPER
Intel i5 10400F

There are diagnosis LEDs on the motherboard, the VGA light was lit.

I pulled out the 2060 and put in a known working 1070ti, same issue.
I put the 2060 into a different system, works fine.

I replaced the motherboard with an MSI B460 Torpedo. I still get the VGA light lit and no boot.
I swapped the PSU out of a working system, still nothing.

Tried booting with just 1 ram stick, and then with just the other, still nothing.

I'm running out of ideas here, unless its the CPU, which I don't have a replacement to test. And being an F my understanding it does not have integrated video so I don't see how that could relate to the VGA led being lit.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
<---- Not an expert.

Have you tried a different monitor or monitor cable or cable type (hdmi, display port, etc.)? I recently had an issue with a cable that works fine on one PC but not my new PC. I also forgot to plug in the power cable to my GPU recently :flushed:

Reactions: VirtualLarry

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Based on your troubleshooting steps you've already taken, it sounds like your CPU is the culprit. While they fail less often compared to other components, it still happens.

If you don't have another to swap in to confirm, maybe time to take it to a local repair shop to have them see if it's defective.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
Have you tried all of the troubleshooting with the mobo in a case and front panel I/O connected? If so, try it without I/O connected first, this will eliminate a faulty USB or other front panel connection. If that doesn't work then take it out of the case to eliminate a potential short on the back of the mobo. If that doesn't get it then it is starting to look as if it might be a bad CPU.