Computer turning itself on...

allthatisman

Dec 21, 2008
Ok, so my PC has done this before, but at this point am getting concerned...

Last night, got done playing some TF2, shut PC down. Woke up this morning before work looked into the office, saw my G15 lit up and thought... wtf? Shut the PC down again, showered, and walked by the office, G15 on again... Powered the machine down this time via the power button the case. Wife called me and I asked if the machine was on and she said yes... so like a zombie, this thing won't die (or stay off). It has done this before, but I always thought it was my having too much to drink and perhaps clicking "restart" instead of "shut down", but at this point I am certain it's not me... I am thinking it could be the motherboard, since that is the only thing that has switching control over the power of the machine... Also, like I said, it's done this before on my Antec 1200, and now I have a Fractal Design R3, so I know it's not the case power button sticking or anything.

Any thoughts?

allthatisman

Dec 21, 2008
Do you have WOL enabled in the BIOS?

I just googled that... I will have to check, since that seems logical because I just reverted the BIOS back to the stock clocks since it's getting hot, and my overclock hardly speeds anything up, short of SC2...

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
My wife had a rig that would power itself on. Even did that once while I was nearby. Strangely it was only while she lived in this creepy old haunted duplex for three months. System didn't do that before, and never did that after. :eek: I was never able to figure it out.

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
This is a long shot, but check the BIOS setting for "State after AC power loss" or some such. It could be set to power on as soon as it receives power from the PSU.