Computer stuck in endless turn on and off loop

Mtmmatt

Apr 1, 2014
Everything explained in the video -http://youtu.be/OxG7exoCJLI
When power turned on the computer automatically tries to start up and just shits off 2 sec later and rinse and repeats forever until I turn off power from back of psu. I get 3 beeps when I take out all the ram and the fans and everything start running but when I boot with 1 stick of ram it just tries to turn on the CPU fan starts to spin and shuts off and rinse and repeat. I've tried with 4 other sticks of ram and I highly doubt all 4 sticks are bad

C1

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2008
Make sure you have a keyboard & mouse connected (you never stated they were). Read you MB manual for set up & initialization. Typically there are jumper and/or switch settings provided for MB installed hardware configuration (eg, CPU type, RAM modules, bus speed, on-board video/sound, etc.). Ensure these are correct for what you are trying to do. Ensure that the wires from the case to the MB are installed on the correct MB pins along with correct polarity. Ensure that the MB has been installed in the case correctly using the proper stand-offs and that no short exists. Test proper MB to case ground using a resistance meter.

At instant of power-on, attempt to boot into BIOS (most often this is established via the "DELETE" key, but could be F1 or F10; read you MB manual.

Mtmmatt

Apr 1, 2014
Everything is plugged in mouse and keyboard and all the power connection are correct. I've used this pc for over 2 years so I mean nothing is plugged in wrong the thing just gave out and I can't even get to bios

C1

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2008
Physically inspect MB capacitors for signs of bulging or leaking.
If these look all good, proceed to remove & re-seat PCIe cards and main MB power connectors.

If no change in functioning, then try a known good power supply.

After that the options become really unpleasant:

- Pull the whole system down and attempt to run MB outside of the case with just CPU & 1 RAM stick. (Mouse, Keyboard & monitor should be plugged in.)
- Take it to a shop for diagnosis
- Replace the system

Addendum

If MB uses a CMOS battery (eg, C2032 typical) and you've got a fresh spare, it wouldnt hurt to also change it at this time (although I would not expect it to be a cure). In addition, read the troubleshooting section in the manual that comes with your MB. (This section is typically located near the end or in the back of the book.)

Last edited:

Mtmmatt

Apr 1, 2014
Also it's not the psu because I just got a new 500w one and it still wudnt work even though the one that was in there before was 350w and no capacitors are buldging

birthdaymonkey

Golden Member
Oct 4, 2010
I had this problem recently when I tried to install an Ivy CPU in a H61 motherboard that needed a BIOS update. I forgot to update the BIOS before putting in the Ivy CPU, and the machine did exactly as you describe (even after I put a Sandy chip back in). It seems that it corrupted something in the CMOS because resetting the CMOS via jumper fixed it for me.

Try clearing CMOS!

Mtmmatt

Apr 1, 2014
No this isn't a new build and I've reset CMOS via jumper like 3 times and feted resenting via battery and no luck. I ordered new ram that shud be here tomorrow wish me luck

C1

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2008
While your waiting for the memory, remove the CMOS battery and let the system sit overnight.

That worked just recently for one guy on this forum which suggests that for certain circumstances, a CMOS seems to be able to become corrupted in such a way that it doesnt clear/reset easily/conventionally.

mrpiggy

Apr 19, 2012
In your video, you say you tried each stick of RAM individually, however you did not state whether you tried them all in the same DIMM slot or not. I would try a different DIMM slot with a single stick of RAM. I've worked on motherboards where one or another DIMM slot was bad, while the rest would work, however any combination of slots that included the bad slot would cause boot problems. While a particular slot may be labeled ""A" and the manual may say to use the "A" slot first, all the current motherboards I work on will function with RAM in alternate slots, even if any particular slot is empty.

Mtmmatt

Apr 1, 2014
Ok so I got it to turn on. First I replaced CMOS battery which didn't fix it. Then unplugged all the cords like literally everything and plugged it all back in and still nothing. I waited like 6 hrs decided to give it another go and it turned on with no ram as usual. I decided to put a ram stick in while the power was still on but the computer wasn't turned on.
I turn it on and boom it boots to bios and windows and shuts down in loading screen. I put all 4 ram sticks in while power is on and boot to safe mode and it turned on and I'm doing a system restore as we speak. Now I just need to find the problem with windows not loading and restarting during the losing bars after bios. What tests should I do now to figure out what was wrong

zir_blazer

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2013
If it boots on Safe Mode, start checking what application that may run at boot time could e causing issues. It may also be a Driver issue.

Also, go to Control Panel, System, Advanced Option tab, Startup and Recovery Settings button (Third one), that Automatic Restart when there is a System Error is disabled. Instead of BSODing and showing you what failed, it just resets.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Have you tried 'last known good configuration' yet from the safe mode option page? Only twice in my years has that worked, but it's worth a shot.

Anything notable happen before the events you listed in post #1? Did it just start one day with the events in your first post, or did it shut down unexpectedly with the events in post #1?

The main difference between safe mode and regular mode is device drivers, so I would go into the control panel and start uninstalling drivers for hardware, starting with the newest and going back. It will be time-consuming, but I would try a normal boot after each uninstall.

robrosa99

Jun 1, 2010
This explanation is all over the place and hard to piece together. What were the hardware / software changes you made to the system just before you had the issue?

If I'm understanding this correctly, you originally had an issue with the OS shutting off, then the issue became the PC not be able to get passed the POST.

The first idea that comes to mind for the OS shutting off, then the computer not passing post is that CPU is overheating. If your BIOS has a hardware monitor, check the tempature of the CPU/system.

Try using a CPU software tester to see if you processor is burnt out.

After that I would move on to memory.