Question Computer shuts off when primary monitor goes to sleep

Steelbom

Sep 1, 2009
Hi all,

I've been having this issue for some time now and it's really getting on my nerves.
Every time the primary monitor goes to sleep my computer instantly reboots...

My setup is: 7950X, Gigabyte X670E Aorus Xtreme, Gigabyte 3090 Ti, ASUS Aero ITX 3050, 64GB RAM @ 4800MHz, Windows 11

The primary monitor -- a 49" Samsung G9 Neo -- runs off of the 3090 Ti (via DP), as does the secondary monitor (Odyssey Ark 55" 4K). The third monitor (Odyssey Ark 55" 4K) runs off of the 3050.
I have my performance plan set to Ultimate and my energy settings for that plan are to never put the computer to sleep nor turn off the display.

My lock screen settings have "Turn off the screen after the slideshow has played for 30 mins..." which I have obviously changed now to never off.

But, I want the screen(s) to turn off when I'm not using them... Any idea why a computer would reboot because the primary screen turns off?

I also have the same issue when I switch inputs on the primary display to another computer (Mac Mini M1). After that, I come back and the computer (PC) has rebooted...

Any thoughts on this issue?

Cheers,
SB

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
First thing that comes to mind is the cable. It might be sending an improper signal to the GPU causing a fault that reboots the PC. Next up would be the GPU itself being faulty. Since it carries over to the Mac though that rules out the GPU.

Khanan

Aug 27, 2017
To me it also sounds like a power problem. You have a lot of hardware connected that sucks a ton of power, I would make sure your electric line can handle it.

Steelbom

Sep 1, 2009
Hey guys, thanks for the responses!

First thing that comes to mind is the cable. It might be sending an improper signal to the GPU causing a fault that reboots the PC. Next up would be the GPU itself being faulty. Since it carries over to the Mac though that rules out the GPU.
I was also thinking it might be a cable issue -- but I was thinking maybe because it is DisplayPort (e.g., when the screen turns off the it sends the signal to the computer that it's off -- something like that anyway). I might look at buying a replacement DP cable just to test... Ideally I'd connect via HDMI... but I don't have enough ports... the 3090 Ti only has one.

GPU is pretty recent and I haven't encountered any issues unless the screen goes to sleep.
To me it also sounds like a power problem. You have a lot of hardware connected that sucks a ton of power, I would make sure your electric line can handle it.
Power wise, I'm OK. I can run benchmarks at max, with all monitors on max brightness + MiniLED turned on + a laptop also doing the same and there is no shorting that occurs.

---

After changing the setting that prevents the primary monitor from turning off, as expected, there were no issues this morning when I woke up.

I wish there was a GPU that had 3 HDMI 2.1 slots :coldsweat:

Khanan

Aug 27, 2017
I wish there was a GPU that had 3 HDMI 2.1 slots :coldsweat:
There are with 2 but the issue is there aren’t with 3 because it needs 3 display controllers then which is not the case. DP monitors drive themselves (in part), that’s why you can use a lot more monitors with DP.

The issue you’re having is really odd, maybe do a bios update if you haven’t yet.

Reactions: Steelbom
Jul 27, 2020

Follow the instructions in the above link to disable auto restart. Better to do them all, even the registry editing one, to ensure that Windows doesn't sneakily restart because of an option still enabled.

Also check the Event Log to see if there are any serious error messages just before the time the system restarted.

Reactions: Steelbom

Steelbom

Sep 1, 2009
Thanks guys!

I've gotten to the bottom of the sleeping issue:
- Disabled Wake on LAN in both BIOS and Windows
- Enabled ErP in BIOS

Haven't had any issues so far!