Computer Shows!!!!! q for you

nateholtrop

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
Hey I have never been to a computer show do you get a lot of free stuff at shows??? are they cool or are they just boring?? Let me know.

DesignDawg

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
HELLZ NO you get NOTHING free at computer shows. They are nasty, stupid places with lukewarm deals at best and very limited selection. The only time I recommend them is when you know EXACTLY what you are after, and you know they will have that specifically there. I do think you should check it out for yourself if you have never been, though. --Like anything. But i think most of us here agree on the disappointment of computer shows.

Ricky
DesignDawg

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
then why is it that Microsoft gave out copies of WinMe back in April to people who came to their "please be a future Microsoft vendor" show?

about twelve of my friends helped to cater (sp?) the show and all got free copies.

dc

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 1999
cobalt, we're talking about computer shows here. not computer trade shows. i got lots of free crap when i went to comdex, a trade show.

designdawg is right, computer shows suck for the most part, only time i ever go is to hand pick cpu's for overclocking.

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Personally, I'd only buy true hardware (nuts, bolts, cables, fan guards, etc.) at a computer show since they tend to invite sharks to prey on stupid users. I'd never drop a lot of money on a good component to a vendor that was either unknown or located too far away -- just not worth the couple dollar savings. Besides that, they charge an entrance fee. No thanks -- I stick with online buying and avoid tax.

Viperoni

Lifer
Jan 4, 2000
Only sometimes do they have good deals.
Gotta find myself a 24+ port switch :)

In the Toronto area, there's only 1 major comp show every 3-4 months, and smaller (REALLY SMALL) comps shows every week.
The big one is $8, small ones free :)

NakaNaka

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2000
I got ripped at one once... About three years ago bought the Voice Recognition crap .. The guy was doing it on screen and it was to say the least amazing ... Got it and later lurned that to do that I needed to program for like triple/quadruple the hours the program stated .... got my rebate ... and just took it as an expense.

kantonburg

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
AndrewR is right.

Unless you are there knowing what you are after it's useless. Cables, bolts, nuts, wires, etc. are the best to get there.

Cases and monitors are another to save on shipping costs.

To me it's worth the extra few bucks you "might" spend online to beat the swarms of people, the $6 entry fee, the $4 parking fee, and the rude vendors that dont' know crap.

Phalkon

Banned
Aug 20, 2000
My friend bought a computer at a computer show once... it crashes ALL the time, even after formatting and re-installing Windows, Linux, Etc.. They throw junk hardware in and make it sound snazzy. We savvy individuals can see right thru their crap.

Tripleshot

Elite Member
Jan 29, 2000
nateholtrop

how far are you from Livonia,MI? There is an extreme event there.Check my link Free Msoft Tshirts.

Fozzie

Oct 9, 1999
Believe it or not but there is a Market Pro computer show this weekend at the DeltaPlex in GR. Mind you I absolutely agree with the others, good for cases, monitors, screws/mounts and patch cables. Otherwise its not usually worth it.

Market Pro website with $1 off coupon

nateholtrop

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
where is the deltaplex?? I go to grcc so I know downtown fairly well???? thanks.

TRIPLESHOT I lIVE to far away from livonia to go to comp show.

thanks fozzie

dc

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 1999
good for monitors? haha, if it's defective have a fun time trying to get it exchanged/refunded/or serviced.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
DesignDawg -- <<They are nasty, stupid places with lukewarm deals at best and very limited selection.>>

I don't know where you live, but here, in So. California, the shows are great! The same dealers from local shops sell the same hardware at serious discounts. Since you know where they are, your recourse no problem if something doesn't work. I refer to it as going out to kick a littly BYTE. :)

For example, at the swap, weekend before last, 128 MB of PC 133 RAM was going for about $115.

There's a lot of junk there, too, so you do have to know which dealers are cool and what you want. Getting back to nateholtrop's original question, I think it depends on how good or bad the particular meets are in your local area. He should check with some experienced friends, or simply waste off a few bucks to go to one without intending to buy anything.