Computer says it's connected to the net wirelessly, but it's not

BBCMember

Jul 23, 2005
A friend of mine has a desktop computer that is connected to a wireless network. The router is a linksys. Not sure what the wireless adapter is. In any case, the software in systray says that it is connected, and ipconfig gives a correct IP (192....; however DNS suffix is blank). The ISP is SBC Yahoo DSL.

Any ideas?

ktwebb

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 1999
DNS suffix is irrelevant. What are you having trouble with?

If your saying the DNS IP's are not there when you run ipconfig /all or whatever then that would in fact be a problem. You can manually assign IP's if you dont' want to troubleshoot your router's DHCP service.

wpeng

Aug 10, 2000
I'm having the same exact problem, but with a laptop. The wireless says it's connected with an excellent signal, but it still won't go on the web.

BBCMember

Jul 23, 2005
Never mind. He rebooted the computer for the 3rd time and it worked. Problem was browser was giving "Page cannot be displayed" error. Thanks.

ktwebb

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 1999
The same problem? The OP hasn't presented a problem yet.

But for your issue, if the windows wireless utility says yoru connected but you don't have intenret connectivity, then most likely problem would be an encrpytion mismatch. Check and see if your receiving packets but not sending any on the utility. If so then WEP or WPA mismatch is your problem.

wpeng

Aug 10, 2000
1 pack sent, none received. Status: Not associated. Does that mean anything?

I have my router set on WPA2 Personal and TKIP+AES
The network authentication is set to WPA and the data encryption AES

I turned off the security, and still no go.

LoverBoyJ

Mar 22, 2001
Originally posted by: BBCMember
A friend of mine has a desktop computer that is connected to a wireless network. The router is a linksys. Not sure what the wireless adapter is. In any case, the software in systray says that it is connected, and ipconfig gives a correct IP (192....; however DNS suffix is blank). The ISP is SBC Yahoo DSL.

Any ideas?

you may want to check your modem. I had the same problem before and found out that the modem was having issues, intermittent connection and finally I had no net connection.
The IP address your getting is from your Router (w/c i think is configured as DHCP). You can log in to your router and check your connection status and your IP address on the internet port (this is the IP that SBC/ATT will provide) NOT on the LAN port. I have a netgear WGT624 and if there is no IP address on the Internet port means that the modem doesn't have any connection with the ISP.
Based on the information that I got from the 2nd level tech support, SBC modems only lasts at most 2-3 years, he was surprised that I had my modem working for close to 5 years. Right now, I'm using my bro-in-laws extra ADSL modem to connect to SBC/ATT, I'm trying to negotiate with SBC/ATT retention dept to replace my bad modem for another year of contract.