Computer randomly started beeping rapidly

PieIsAwesome

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2007
Was playing a game, then I get rapid beeping. I can't tell how many beeps, but it seemed to have gone on endlessly. Cursor seems to have disappeared, but otherwise the game kept running. No freezing. I was even able to alt-tab out of the game, but couldn't get back in. Restarted the comp and everything is fine now.

This happened twice before, once while I was in the desktop doing light stuff and the second time while playing Starcraft. The first time I restarted, but the second time I waited and it stopped, and I continued playing.

I think I remember encountering a similar problem before with another computer...I don't remember exactly what it was, but I remember getting a lot of rapid beeping if I moved the mouse around. Don't remember how I fixed it or what the problem was...
Maybe I should of tried letting the mouse just sit there, to see if the beeping would stop.

The BIOS is American Megatrends Inc., looked up the beep codes but the beeping I get doesn't seem to match. I had previously reseated the ram and videocard but it seems like that didn't do it.

Specs:
Intel Core Duo e2200
ECS 945GCT-M
2x1 GB HP DDR2 667
Radeon x1800xt

I've already run Orthos (and I think memtest...don't remember, but I suppose I can do it anyways) without errors.

I have another setup that is exactly the same with the exception of the videocard, no issues.
I just think it's weird that the computer keeps going even with all this beeping and whatnot...if a piece of hardware fails shouldn't everything stop?

DanMart25

Mar 18, 2008
Yes, I agree; the computer should go down completely if a piece of hardware fails. Beeping is usually connected with Power Supply failure and gets fixed once you change the power supply. I had a similar experience about a year ago and this is what I did to fix the issue.

olmer

Dec 28, 2006
As long as your setup is stable it is most likely your HID driver/service playing making beeps when you press too many keys/move mouse and it cannot keep up. Try disabling/enabling it ? check/update drivers etc.

PieIsAwesome

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2007
Ok, I think I more or less found the source of the problem, and wanted to provide an update in case anyone has a similar problem.

I had the mouse connected through PS2 when this was occuring, and after switching to USB the problem seemed to be gone. I left it like this for months without issue.
Then I decided to switch back to PS2, to see what would happen. No problems for a while, but then after a couple of days I got the beeping again. So back to USB.
I'm not sure what exactly the problem is, might jsut be a crappy motherboard.

Oh, and the problem originally occured under Windows XP and jsut now occurred in Windows Vista.