computer question involving a sub woofer

thescreensavers

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2005
I have the 5.1 kipsch pro media (ultra) Now My sub is right next to my comp (PIC below) and i am scared that the vibration from the sub can damage or shorten the life of certain parts in my comp. Will it not harm my comp at all and party on or it will harm my comp components.

HERES THE PIC

EDIT: I forget to turn off my caps! I lowered cased it now. So it does not seem like i am screaming.

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Moderator<br>A/V & Home Theater<br>Elite member
Aug 6, 2001
I see the caps lock button was the first victim. That's a shame.
EDIT: you fixed it :) :thumbsup:

It should be fine unless it's really shaking the heck out of the comptuer. If you're worried, move it a little farther away.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Some people like their subwoofers LOUD, and I don't know if you're one of them.;)

I would be worried most about the hard drives. The thought of spinning, vibrating hard drive platters scares me.

Soccerman06

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2004
Ive never had a problem with my sound system being near the case, I doubt you would either.

Agnostos Insania

Golden Member
Oct 29, 2005
I duct-taped my crappy little subwoofer to the top of my CRT monitor. No problems sofar in the 3 or so years it's been stuck up there.

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Aug 6, 2001
Originally posted by: Agnostos Insania
I duct-taped my crappy little subwoofer to the top of my CRT monitor. No problems sofar in the 3 or so years it's been stuck up there.

Now this I wouldn't recommend.

ribbon13

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2005
lol. why not YOyo? You should know that as long as the subwoofer is shielded (most are NOT) the bass will be the only problem.

I've covered this topic before. No subwoofer under $8k will produce enough vibration to meddle with the hard drives.

I've auditioned a Krell Reference Subwoofer (probably costs more than your car) and it didn't do any harm at 4ft from my IEC rack, which would be approximately five times the vibration force your PC will experience.

Agnostos Insania

Golden Member
Oct 29, 2005
Originally posted by: YOyoYOhowsDAjello
Originally posted by: Agnostos Insania

Now this I wouldn't recommend.

It goes well with the small speaker that's shoved halfway into a drawer and the other speaker that's atop a 3 foot stack of CD cases, though.

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Aug 6, 2001
Originally posted by: ribbon13
lol. why not YOyo? You should know that as long as the subwoofer is shielded (most are NOT) the bass will be the only problem.

I've covered this topic before. No subwoofer under $8k will produce enough vibration to meddle with the hard drives.

I've auditioned a Krell Reference Subwoofer (probably costs more than your car) and it didn't do any harm at 4ft from my IEC rack, which would be approximately five times the vibration force your PC will experience.

I said taping a sub on a CRT is probably a bad idea.

As for the vibration, I'm not thinking about anything in particular for the parts. Maybe loose connections etc?

There's a deal on the Krell reference sub right now if anyone is interested: http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?homesubw&1136774707

LED

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Move the Sub towards the corner and you won't need to crank it up as much plus it'll be away from the Puter for your safe slepping...

There's a deal on the Krell reference sub right now if anyone is interested

LOL ...I got 1 of these ;)

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Subs really belong on the floor with the opening aimed at a wall about 6-inches away. That gives them room to work and be efficient.

furballi

Banned
Apr 6, 2005
It's best to place the sub at a corner for maximum sound pressure and best frequency response. That said, having the sub next to the PC will not damage any internal component.

If you can localize the sub, then the sub's cross-over frequency is too high. Keep this setting at 80Hz or lower if you have quality main speakers that can go down to 70 or 80Hz.